ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
Crewsdawg OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thumb Riders in Atlanta/ N. Ga???? Lets Ride!!!

Hello!

I am new to dual sporting (but been riding street bikes for a while, and mountain bikes for a LONG while) - I'm wondering any of you guys in the N. Ga area can point me towards other riders/ group meet-ups/ etc...?? I'm just lookin' for other dudes to ride trails and some twisties with - the more the merrier. Having the skinny on where good trails are/ fun link ups with the road etc is key! Anyone can grab a map and plot out a fun route but its always much better (and smarter) to get real intel on how conditions might be, things to watch out for, weird spots where it can be easy to miss turns, etc...

I'm in the Chamblee area so I have to ride 40-50 miles out of the city to get anywhere remotely, well, remote. I'm working the 9-5 so weeknights and weekends are good...

Don't worry - at 34 yrs old I'm not looking to showboat or be an idiot...safety first, always. That being said, I'm not a total noob rider either. Just wanted to clarify in case there are folks out there who might meet me and think, "wow, what an idiot." I don't think that would happen, I'd say I'm a pretty humble fellow for the most part!

Anyways, I appreciate you guys taking any time have you may out of your day to help a stranger...albeit a fellow rider. Any info you might have is definitely appreciated!

-Ryan
Crewsdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 708
keep an eye out on the DOG thread, there are rides sometimes posted there. Most weekends, i would guess you could head to Two Wheels of Suches and meet up with riders. there always seems to be folks headed out from there that don't mind someone tagging along.

what do you ride and what skill level? I try to get out to highland park every so often on my 450 and do some DS riding with my 950 but prefer the harder stuff if I have my choice (vs. standard FS roads). But it's all good. :)
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Crewsdawg OP
Adventurer

Thx for the info Speedy. Yeah, I'll just have to get to TWO and see who I meet...always seems to be a good few DS bikes parked out front. I'll have a look at the DOG thread too, thanks.

I'm an expert mtn biker and decent knee-dragger, so I'd say a novice-intermediate dirt rider. I've got a DR650, so a bit too heavy for MX...I just want to ride fun trails with some road link ups.

FS roads are ok and all, but I'm a singletrack guy 100%...well, singletrack that is do-able with a PIG that is...my bike currently has 50/50 tires (need some knobbies!) so super gnarly trails, hill climbs, and roosts have to be done with "care" ha.

Def let me know if you get out on either of your bikes, again just lookin' for some guys to ride with...not concerned if you are a pro or beginner as long as you're into it

Edited: Speedy, just saw your video of Windy Gap. Thats def the kinda riding I like to do, though I'd be a little cautious of riding Windy/Tibbs/Milma without knobbies. Getting stuck with a 360lb bike ain't much fun...maybe I need to sell the DR and just buy a dirt bike ha!

Crewsdawg screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 08:36 AM
Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,050
I'll be riding Moto Mountain starting this Saturday at 8:30. I don't think the DR is up for the challenge on 50/50's, but if you get some knobbies before then you may want to join us. I'll be riding with a friend who doesn't like the really tuff stuff, so we'll probably be riding the easy stuff. Disclaimer: the easy stuff at MM isn't that easy. Also, MM is a pay to ride park. $25 per day or $200 annual membership.

I've also got a Super Tenere that I use to ride forest service roads. I'm usually 2-up, but we don't hold up the 650's much unless they are really fast.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
Crewsdawg OP
Adventurer

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up Twisty, super nice of you to let me know. I should've specified, currently my 650 has some pretty worn out knobbies (I have new 50/50 tires, but havent swapped them yet), but may do just fine at a place like moto mountain, as long as there isnt a lot of mud...I'd be going kinda slow, the pig's suspension is a bit soft for hard hits. But if the rain stays away, I def wanna give it a shot! I'm PM you if I can make it up there.

Thanks again!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewsdawg View Post
I should've specified, currently my 650 has some pretty worn out knobbies (I have new 50/50 tires, but havent swapped them yet),
I have a tire changing stand (MRP) and tools if you need to change tires. I'm just across 285 in dunwoody... same for other ADV riders if you need to change tires or want some instruction on how to change tires easily let me know. :)
Old 07-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
Crewsdawg OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
I have a tire changing stand (MRP) and tools if you need to change tires. I'm just across 285 in dunwoody... same for other ADV riders if you need to change tires or want some instruction on how to change tires easily let me know. :)
Wow Speedy, honestly that would be awesome! Totally gracious of you to offer! The tires I ordered should be delivered today via UPS (meaning I won't see them until after 7pm)...so if you're around this weekend, I'd like to take you up on that...maybe get a ride in too! These tires are Heidenau K-60s, stiff sidewalls and are supposedly a b*tch to mount so I'd feel bad for making you go to any trouble. Changing tires easily? There's a skill I need.

Don't worry though, I wouldn't show up empty handed for folks who offer help/knowledge/tools...you a beer drinker?

Thanks man, super cool of you to offer.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

I don't mind. I've put on and taken off K60's on my 950 and it's not hard. mousse inserts, tubliss systems, etc. The only ones I draw the line on are Tire Balls. No dice unless you have their mounting system. :)

yes I drink beer, but I have three of four on tap in the garage so no need to bring any. :) Unless it's something good/unusual (double IPA, belgium, etc).

Usually if you bring the wheels over (I hate removing wheels) I will do the rear (the harder) and let you try the front and see if you get it. If you can get new/better tubes that's handy as well. usually the OE tubes are light but not very good quality.

I'm around most of the weekend. I guess maybe it's time to do a "tire changing demo" at the house. If anyone is interested let me know and I can organize a short "seminar". I"ll pm you info this evening. If anyone else wants to come watch PM me for info.

I may do a short ride sunday morning depending upon weather over the weekend (before i gets too hot).