ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #2071
twohawks
Not Afraid
 
twohawks's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Shenandoah Valley Virginia
Oddometer: 2,662
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5punksdad View Post
I like to use the word "threatened" lol.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2
Another generous inmate!
__________________
TWOHAWKS

Utah and Colorado 2010 Ride Report
CAT HERDER'S
BWDR
SMIBS

2008 KLR650
1984 GL1200I GoldWing Interstate
Human Power'd two wheel machine - 2001 StumpJumper Pro Hardtail
CMA ><>
GWRRA
twohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #2072
TH
There and Here
 
TH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 912
I didn't find the stash, but I did have a short chance to enjoy some of those roads out there.
__________________
"doggone and dagnabit! That's what I call a whopping' big rabbit."
Keep the rubber side down
'01 Sprint ST '12 Super Tenere
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #2073
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
I didn't find the stash, but I did have a short chance to enjoy some of those roads out there.
Pics or it didn't happen!


No stash! Are you sure you had the right place?
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #2074
TH
There and Here
 
TH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Pics or it didn't happen!


No stash! Are you sure you had the right place?
My phone died, so pics will be coming. Really don't know if I had the right place. I was hoping it was Johnstown rd about a mile in from the forest boundary.
__________________
"doggone and dagnabit! That's what I call a whopping' big rabbit."
Keep the rubber side down
'01 Sprint ST '12 Super Tenere
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #2075
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash
 
5punksdad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Front Royal, VA
Oddometer: 2,593
I was working at mt falls. I have witnesses!!! Where is Stalin??

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
NW VA Tag-to-Eat tag game
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #2076
TH
There and Here
 
TH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 912
Here are the pics I took.

Johnstown road just past the forest road. On the left as I'm diving north.

Another gate where there was a warning that it wasn't safe for cars.



And near the entrance to the forest.
__________________
"doggone and dagnabit! That's what I call a whopping' big rabbit."
Keep the rubber side down
'01 Sprint ST '12 Super Tenere
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #2077
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,718
You bruced yourself. None of those gates are the same one as the one twohawks used.

look closely at the pic from twohawks post.


It looks like the road is curving, maybe a cul-de-sac, the Oak bush with leaves still on it and a nice leaf covered trail in the background are all good reference points to find the right gate. It looks like there might even be a tree stump on the far right of the pic.

Did you go all the way to the end of the road? Go back and look again. The sauce is worth it!

Some folks print a copy of the pic to compare at the grab site. It may help you in future grabs.

I hope you are still in the area to go back. Good luck!
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #2078
TH
There and Here
 
TH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
You bruced yourself. None of those gates are the same one as the one twohawks used.

look closely at the pic from twohawks post.


It looks like the road is curving, maybe a cul-de-sac, the Oak bush with leaves still on it and a nice leaf covered trail in the background are all good reference points to find the right gate. It looks like there might even be a tree stump on the far right of the pic.

Did you go all the way to the end of the road? Go back and look again. The sauce is worth it!

Some folks print a copy of the pic to compare at the grab site. It may help you in future grabs.

I hope you are still in the area to go back. Good luck!
I honestly thought I didn't find it. I had to turn around and go home as I had some commitments to make. It was a great ride out there, and I'll just have to allot myself more time the next time. At least I was able to put some miles on...
__________________
"doggone and dagnabit! That's what I call a whopping' big rabbit."
Keep the rubber side down
'01 Sprint ST '12 Super Tenere
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #2079
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
I honestly thought I didn't find it. I had to turn around and go home as I had some commitments to make. It was a great ride out there, and I'll just have to allot myself more time the next time. At least I was able to put some miles on...
Oh well, it is a great area to ride. Better luck next time!
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #2080
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash
 
5punksdad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Front Royal, VA
Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
I honestly thought I didn't find it. I had to turn around and go home as I had some commitments to make. It was a great ride out there, and I'll just have to allot myself more time the next time. At least I was able to put some miles on...
That's the spirit!!! Good roads to get to that tag.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
NW VA Tag-to-Eat tag game
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #2081
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer
 
fragile_this_side_up's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Strasburg, VA
Oddometer: 1,045
argh! wish i wasn't out of town this weekend... SV+gravel roads and street tires=death trap... but the sauce..
__________________
weekend day-tripper '03 SV650Naked SOLD! http://www.flickr.com/photos/8007308...7630515234266/
daily commuter. '12 DL650ADV http://www.flickr.com/photos/8007308...7633330697107/
fragile_this_side_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #2082
ecubed
LFC Cat
 
ecubed's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Nova Scotia & Virgina
Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
You bruced yourself.
Now that is funny ! But a great ride.....my XR is all in pieces
__________________
'02 XRL '95 K11RS '14 KZ1000ABS

ecubed screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 12:24 PM
ecubed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #2083
twohawks
Not Afraid
 
twohawks's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Shenandoah Valley Virginia
Oddometer: 2,662
Hey TH...Forest road 92 is on the left...not the tag road. Bwalsh is right, get on named road and go til it ends.
__________________
TWOHAWKS

Utah and Colorado 2010 Ride Report
CAT HERDER'S
BWDR
SMIBS

2008 KLR650
1984 GL1200I GoldWing Interstate
Human Power'd two wheel machine - 2001 StumpJumper Pro Hardtail
CMA ><>
GWRRA
twohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #2084
twohawks
Not Afraid
 
twohawks's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Shenandoah Valley Virginia
Oddometer: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
argh! wish i wasn't out of town this weekend... SV+gravel roads and street tires=death trap... but the sauce..

You CAN do it with street tyres...just a lot slower than you will feel like going.
__________________
TWOHAWKS

Utah and Colorado 2010 Ride Report
CAT HERDER'S
BWDR
SMIBS

2008 KLR650
1984 GL1200I GoldWing Interstate
Human Power'd two wheel machine - 2001 StumpJumper Pro Hardtail
CMA ><>
GWRRA
twohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #2085
twohawks
Not Afraid
 
twohawks's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Shenandoah Valley Virginia
Oddometer: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
My phone died, so pics will be coming. Really don't know if I had the right place. I was hoping it was Johnstown rd about a mile in from the forest boundary.

More than a mile....all da way to da end...
__________________
TWOHAWKS

Utah and Colorado 2010 Ride Report
CAT HERDER'S
BWDR
SMIBS

2008 KLR650
1984 GL1200I GoldWing Interstate
Human Power'd two wheel machine - 2001 StumpJumper Pro Hardtail
CMA ><>
GWRRA
twohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014