ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #1186
Beast Rider
Beast Rider

Oddometer: 1,400
Well done Bwalsh.....
Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #1187
mriderleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I finally updated the tag map...well at least to tag number 160.
Five to go! Maybe I'll finish next week.
How are you gonna get the map caught up when y'all keep moving the duck?

130 mph banked turns, eh? Sounds like RD had quite a ride this time.

Leon.
mriderleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #1188
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriderleon View Post
How are you gonna get the map caught up when y'all keep moving the duck?

130 mph banked turns, eh? Sounds like RD had quite a ride this time.

Leon.
Well...if I keep on top of it, it's not too hard to keep up but when it get 35 tags behind...Yikes!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #1189
Beast Rider
Beast Rider

Grab

Grab, Boston Drive in, surprisingly enough, Boston Virginia. If you have never been to Boston ...it is located on the southwest side of Route 522 about halfway between Sperryville and Culpeper...

There is RD sitting below the right signal light....with the concrete head wall to the left of the bike and the red mailbox behind the bike....

New tag to follow shortly.....soon as I figure out some nasty clues.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #1190
Beast Rider
Beast Rider

New Tag

Tag, There is RD nestled into an old stump....

Now covered up with a rock......

It's that big stump to the right of the bike in this pic.....

Another view....pretty out here today....stump just to the right of the bike in this pic as well....

The stump is located on a very short 2 word road.....almost at the end of the road.

Horowitz and Lombardi were often referred to as this...the first word of this road. The second word of this road shares its name with those whose " Mississippi Queen" was released in 1970.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #1191
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Great day for a ride!!!

Just noticed Google maps calls the private road at the same intersection as Jobbers Mountain Rd., "Jobbers Mountain Rd.", but lists the real road with the Route number. Mapquest has it right but no rt. #.

Anyway...Grab, Jobbers Mountain Rd., Rt 609, West of Woodville

See RD on the trunk

New tag in a few...

Old 11-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #1192
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,766
New Motorsickle Shop in NVA

Shameless plug, with no commercial interest on my part.

There's a new motorcycle service/repair shop in the metro area. Cycle Sport, at 7649-A Fullerton Road in Springfield, near the Costco. 703-780-1245. I understand the guy who's starting it used to wrench at the original Cycle Sport on Route 1 in Alexandria. Don't know much about him, but I highly recommend his new mechanic!

My next door neighbor--the guy who rebuilt my XR and repainted the little Rebel I bought a couple of weeks for my daughter--just started working at the place yesterday. Bob (neighbor) is a fabulous mechanic. He restores bikes and races vintage motocross. He's worked on all sorts of bikes, though he's got a soft spot for off-road Hondas. In addition to being the best mechanic (bikes and cars) I've come across, he's a superb painter too--his paint work on the bikes I've seen is to drool over. I believe Bob's planning on eventually putting in a painting booth, and perhaps a powder coating booth too.

Brand new place. If you go there, ask for Bob.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #1193
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

New tag

Money shot...

What is that in the background you say? Lets get a closer look. If you walk out to here...

You realize it's some old bridge piers. Remember that tree. Now walk out a little further. That's right, right here...

Don't get too close though...

It's a little further down than it looks. Now turn around and look at the base of the tree. Remember the tree?
If you look REAL close at the next pic you will see RD at the base of a rotten log that is mostly covered up. Just the end is exposed.

Now you don;t see RD at the end of the log. There are a couple twigs on top of RD...

Now for clues.
I couldn't find anything interesting on the bridge remnants so lets see...There is a trail close by that is named after one of the Native American creek groups...and the river is the same name as the first name of a person who was as primitive as can be.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #1194
Beast Rider
Beast Rider

Well done Bwalsh.....good grab and tag.....
Old 11-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #1195
mriderleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Now for clues.
I couldn't find anything interesting on the bridge remnants so lets see...There is a trail close by that is named after one of the Native American creek groups...and the river is the same name as the first name of a person who was as primitive as can be.

I agree with Beast Rider, great tag. Yours are some of the best clues in any of the tags. I particularly like the oblique reference to Denver, Bob.

Leon.
mriderleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #1196
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriderleon View Post
I agree with Beast Rider, great tag. Yours are some of the best clues in any of the tags. I particularly like the oblique reference to Denver, Bob.

Leon.
Why thank you Leon. Wow, that one almost went over my head!

As with most tags I grab I usually have a place in mind for the next tag but taking new roads and what not...well it very seldom ends up there.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #1197
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Grab! River rd where the Robinson River meets the Seminole Trail. Neat spot. Below is the pic, and now it's off to find a new spot.
Attached Images

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
FATNBLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #1198
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

The southermost tip, and then some

So, the duck and I went to visit the southernmost tip of the NWVA tag boundary, see:

But ultimately we decided he'd be too exposed there, so we headed west and took a left at the second traffic light we came to, and yes, that takes us out of bounds. We were actually looking for the Charlottesville tag on one of the rt 629's I can find, but we never found their purple monkey. It was then I realized I was late in getting home, so I made the decision to place the NWVA tag out of bounds.

I don't think bwalsh is real happy with me for going outside the lines, and it really wasn't intentional, in fact I had a pretty cool, in-bounds, spot picked out that I never made it too today. I'll save that one for next time.

So, if someone is willing to grab the little guy tomorrow then cool, and I promise not to break the boundary rule again.

So, while looking for the Charlottesville Tag, we found this lovely little spot:

Took a quick rest before the little guy hunkered down into his hiding spot:

Which you can see here:

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.

FATNBLD screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 03:58 PM
Old 11-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #1199
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Edited that last post

I went back in and fixed some typos, and a pic that wasn't displaying in that last post.

Sorry bwalsh, I didn't get your message about moving the tag in-bounds before I posted, until after I posted.

I remember mriderleon mentioning in the Northern Virginia Tag pushing the "1 hour from Charlottesville boundary" of the Charlottesville Tag game, so I really didn't think the boundary thing was all that rigid.

If people want me to grab RD and move him back in bounds, I'll do it. It's practically on my way to work so it's not that big a deal.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #1200
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

From page one, post one...

Quote:
Here are some rules:

1. Tag boundary: It has changed some over the course of the game, now incorporating some of West by god Virginia!
Take a look at the map.

Tag map: NWVA TAG MAP

At this point it doesn't matter. It's not too far out of bounds. I just don't want RD heading South for the winter like Eggy or turn into Virginia tag II.
All the other games have the same type of deal in regards to the boundary. I expanded the boundary and it got to be too much trouble to list each road, State line, County line, etc. so having people look at the map is a lot easier.
All other tag games will have a similar theme/boundary. The only games that have a time frame boundary are the Valley tag and yours.
At this point it doesn't matter but it would be a good idea to see what the boundary is in regards to other games before grabbing the tag.

Tag On!