ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #1381
ruralgold
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Traveling to Beast Rider's latest tag, I felt a little like Hansel and Gretel, pretty much expecting to see the witch's cottage any time. It was indeed a magical journey, Thanks, BR! Weakley Hollow Road, where it ends at the trailhead leading to Old Rag's Summit.

Rudy was enjoying all the hikers and folks visiting.

And here is Rudy, getting set up to go on another adventure.

New tag coming soon!
ruralgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #1382
ruralgold
Adventurer

In keeping with Beast Rider's personal desire to have the tags closer to home(his home), I kept the tag down that way. It's actually pretty nice down there, so an excuse to go get the next one will work for me.

This is the location at the end of the road where Rudy has found a new(albeit temporary) home.

He's placed securely behind this big rock which is itself protected by barbed wire.

And of course he's got some serious stone protection as well.

This pile of rocks just to the rear of the bike is where Rudy is located. He's right behind the big rock.

In urban dictionary the word that makes up this road, describes "private parts", and other sensitive things that most people don't want others to see. Rudy is at the end of the road, where there is "No Parking", but they have a road. So you can get there, you're just not supposed to stay, at least very long. Pretty scenery.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #1383
Beast Rider
Beast Rider

Oddometer: 1,400
Rural Gold....great grab and tag...well done...
Old 12-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #1384
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,649
I have the location...I think...mainly using the first pic...but I did figure the clue to confirm...maybe.

Got that?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #1385
ruralgold
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Rider View Post
Rural Gold....great grab and tag...well done...
Thanks, Beast Rider, it was a great pleasure to find the tag that you placed. As the trees got thicker and thicker, the road got narrower and narrower and rose higher and higher. Pretty cool.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #1386
Beast Rider
Beast Rider

Oddometer: 1,400
Yup...that road ends up being barely the width of one car....it's a cool little ride....nice and twisty as well.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:23 AM   #1387
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,652
Friend with orders to Hawaii

. . . . leaving after the holiday period. He's trying to sell his K1200GT. Here's what he has to say:

"I am looking to find a new owner for my 2004 BMW K1200GT ABS. She
is up at Bobs, for a new battery and freshening, has been sitting way
too long in the garage. I am 2nd owner since 2006 when she had 6000
miles on her. She has 22K on her now, is about a 98% bike, no issues,
matching painted hardbags, usual GT goodies, heated grips, seat, power
windscreen and I added stealth PIAAs under the fairing. Looking to get
$7000 if you know anyone looking for a solid ride.... Just not meant to
take her to Hawaii I am afraid..."

He lives in the Fairfax Station area. If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll get you in touch with him.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #1388
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I have the location...I think...mainly using the first pic...but I did figure the clue to confirm...maybe.

Got that?

i don't know where the tag is but its my turn to buy lunch if peeps are out and about. I'm thinking of riding down towards culpeper to look at a compact tractor for sale if anybody wants to tag along for amusement. its a "project"
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #1389
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm going to ride here sometime today but it won't be any time soon.

Maybe next time...

On another note, I just got three tires from Motorcycle Superstore. Ordered Monday morning and delivered Wednesday morning! One Michelin T-63 front and two Dunlop D-606 rear's. I'm good for another 7,000-7,500 miles now!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #1390
ruralgold
Adventurer

All right, guys, let's get this moving. If you haven't moved it today, then tomorrow I'll have to study Windows 7 instead of going for a new tag!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #1391
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Grab! End of Nethers rd (in the Nether region) obviously, at the Old Rag upper parking area that is now closed to cars. Found Christmas Duck right where Ruralgold left him. The barbed wire did its job.

We took a potty break in the ports johns at old rag

And them left to get some gas at the Sheetz in Madison

And now it's off to find a new duck hang out

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
FATNBLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #1392
ruralgold
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD View Post
Grab! End of Nethers rd (in the Nether region) obviously, at the Old Rag upper parking area that is now closed to cars. Found Christmas Duck right where Ruralgold left him. The barbed wire did its job.
That's a good looking bike you got there! If you had a set of zebra bags...no, wait a minute, that's my bike

I had to study today so no riding for me, but got the kids a little KLX110 for Christmas and took them out to ride around the yard...so cool!

Not sure about the potty shot, I make have to take some hand sanitizer with me the next time to get Rudolph.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #1393
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Hands and duck washed at sheetz.

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #1394
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

New tag spot.

Left Sheetz, went to Hood. Not the hood, just Hood:

Then turned right. Went to the end if that road and turned right again. Then went to the end of that road and found this:

So I turned around and stopped here:

And stuck Rudy under a Rock here:

The tag spot is on "_______" River Rd which is not the name of the river that runs under the huge concrete bridge my bike is on in these shots. There's a large timber farm at the end of the road with some epic rock walls fronting the property. The rt. number for the road is the mark of the beast plus 1.

Uploaded all this from my iPhone. Will get on the puter and fix any issues later tonight. But I must say, it's easier to upload multiple pics in one post from the iPhone than from picassa.

(Many hours later)
OK, I just tweaked this post. Some of the pics were too small to be effective the way I had intended. Also, my description of the road is now more complete with better clues. Google Maps doesn't quite agree with reality on this one, but it's pretty close. (only an issue with exactly where this road ends and where exactly it's name changes from one "___ River Rd" to a different "____ River Rd")

At least one person already PM'd me and knows where this spot is, so my earlier clues couldn't have been too bad.

Was a nice, but cold ride out there today, basically in my back yard. Also found some future tag spots on some beautiful roads in this area.

FATNBLD screwed with this post 12-17-2011 at 10:57 PM
Old 12-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #1395
bwalsh OP
Beastly Adventurer

Grab!

Middle River Rd., Rt. 667, Fletcher, Greene Co. @ the low water bridge about 3/4 mile from the end of the road.
Rudy and the brain discuss Nuclear fission on the top box...

Story during intermission...WAY back in 1990 the road was not gated or posted where it ends now. I had this big ass 4x4 Van with 35's on it...

I took it up there. There is a Ford(stream crossing) upstream with a hell of a drop off. It was like I was looking straight down(instead of straight ahead) when the van dropped in. It was also about 2.5-3' deep! Hmmm!
I made it through that and hoped not to have another stream crossing like that. There is a creek that drops into the Conway called Devils Ditch...need I say more?
Well there is more you see, this was before GPS. I did have a map but at this point it was basically useless. I took a wrong turn and started UP the mountain with NO place to turn around. I finally got turned around close to a mile up the mountain at a switchback. Man, was that hairy! Made it back down, got back on track to...
Devils Ditch and had to get out to scout it was so damn steep! The road drops about 10'-12 in about 10' levels off to cross the creek, maybe 15', then climbs back up the same as it dropped. Great...
I thought I was going to fall through the windshield it was so steep! Made it to the bottom. Whew!
Then I goosed it up the other side because it started slipping. All the while this was going on I was thinking "Damn, if I ever get out of here I'll never take this thing into a place like this again!"
As soon as I turned the corner there was this 8-10" oak tree right at windshield level and me with no saw. Great...
I did have a hack saw so I started cutting the tree but it was wet. The saw finally bogged down after I only had a 1/2"x8" cut on one edge. What to do? I sure as hell don't want to turn around!
I rummaged around and found a 1"x15' nylon web strap I used for whitewater related things. I took it, rapped one end around the tree and the other around my brush guard. I had no faith in this but it was my last hope before having to turn around.
Hoped in started backing up and I'll be damned if the tree didn't break right on the cut I started!
It was only one more easy stream crossing and a couple hundred yards to a road by that point but I'll never forget that one!

New tag after dinner!

bwalsh screwed with this post 12-19-2011 at 04:27 PM