User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
BMWHillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
clutch cable adjustment

I'm not a totally naive woman .....but how do i adjust the clutch cable at the engine side? I need to decrease the clutch engagement point ie: engage clutch closer to the grip. I dont like the clutch engagement being so far out that it stretches my fingers to the max. Why do techs insist on adjusting the clutch every time you take it in!!

thanks!
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
itsforrest
Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer: 330
Ideally, you do want a minimum of play in the cable. If there is too much play in the cable the clutch may not disengage fully and the clutch will drag causing difficult or clunky gear shifting, especially from neutral into gear.

For reach adjustment, the best thing to do is adjust the lever. There is a knob to adjust reach on the lever perch. If you cannot get the lever close enough for comfort, a different lever may be worth trying. There are aftermarket levers available with different profiles and more adjustability that can give you a better angle on the lever while still giving good cable travel.

You also might be able to get a more comfortable pull on the lever by rotating the lever up or down on the bar.

One thing I noticed soon after I got my F8GS, the cable loosened up within the first couple hundred miles, before the first service was due. When I went to adjust the cable, the engine end of the cable was not fully seated in the lever on the engine and looked very close to falling off. There is nothing there other than cable tension to retain it. This would be very very bad if it popped out when riding.

Too much clutch cable slack can be a bad thing.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
itsforrest
Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer: 330
Oh, back to the original question, there is a pretty standard barrel and lock nut adjuster on the engine end of the cable. Once you find the cable end, how to adjust should be pretty obvious. Loosen the lock nut, adjust the barrel and snug the nut.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
BMWHillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsforrest
Oh, back to the original question, there is a pretty standard barrel and lock nut adjuster on the engine end of the cable. Once you find the cable end, how to adjust should be pretty obvious. Loosen the lock nut, adjust the barrel and snug the nut.
I appreciate your response. I have the Pazzo levers and was adjusted perfectly but the tech apparently adjusted the cable end when i went in for warranty work. I left the dealership for home, which is 200 miles away, and thought i could get used to the adjustment but i don't like it. is the lock nut the top or bottom nut on the cable end? on the adjustment nut do i go clockwise or counterclockwise to decrease the engagement? I miss the days of thumbscrew adjusters!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
It will become self evident once you start turning the barrel as to which way to go. It will be a bit of trial and error.

Two VITALLY IMPORTANT THINGS:

1 - Make sure you check your adjustment at full lock left and right, especially left, after completing. The adjustment will be taken up a bit at full left. The last thing you want to do is not leave enough (yes, I realize this most likely won't be your case) slack and have you fry your clutch from slipping. The lever should have at least 2 mm of movement at full left lock.

2 - Use ONLY enough torque on the lock/jam nut to snug the adjustment. If you put too much torque on the nut it is VERY easy to shear the attachment point off the case cover. That will be an expensive fix as it requires the whole case cover to be replaced. Just a couple lb/ft. of force is all that is necessary.

After you are done, just disengage the clutch, slip it in to gear, go full lock L&R on the bars, and then ease out the clutch until your feel the friction zone begin to engage. This will ensure you have not adjusted too much the other way causing the clutch to not fully disengage, again, causing irreparable damage to your clutch potentially.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
BMWHillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thank you. i will give it a try this evening. appreciate yalls help!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I just had my bike in for service - they adjusted my clutch back out also - what a pain in the ass.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote