User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
KLR250 with burnt contact.

I noticed this while doing a little maintenance on the KLR250 today......

The contact has obviously been rather warm at some point. The bike runs fine but I thought I'd post a couple pics to see if anyone has seen this. I don't have access to a service manual to see what that particular lead goes to.
Just GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
zumohamr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Im no master mechanic by any means. My Suzuki TL-S did the same thing awhile back. I just did away with the plug and mounted a terminal block near the regulator. I did away with the 16ga wires going to the battery and pulled some 12ga. My charging voltage was correct afterward. Im not sure, maybe the combination of undersized wire and flimsy connector are to blame? How do you like the bike? I have been looking at on craigslist.
zumohamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
resistance equals heat. It's very common for a connection that carries voltage to corrode like that due to a dirty or otherwise poor connection. The dirtier it gets, the more the resistance increases and more heat is generated.

I'd clean up both contacts or replace as needed and ensure each connection is clean clean clean.

then i'd worry about it no more
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

wife calls it a sickness. I'm running a M/C rescue
gvthnks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumohamr
Im no master mechanic by any means. My Suzuki TL-S did the same thing awhile back. I just did away with the plug and mounted a terminal block near the regulator. I did away with the 16ga wires going to the battery and pulled some 12ga. My charging voltage was correct afterward. Im not sure, maybe the combination of undersized wire and flimsy connector are to blame? How do you like the bike? I have been looking at on craigslist.

I like the little KLR a lot. They are getting rather dated though. It's done everything I've needed it to do so far. I don't do a lot of off-road riding but I do know that that is one of the bikes shortcommings. There are better 250cc bikes for that. I did put it through it's paces a couple years ago in West Virginia and it performed well. If you do acquire one just accept it for what it is and don't expect too much and you'll be happy with it.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
I would have to disagree with the lack of off road capability. Actually, the light weight simple design works great off road compared to the bigger bikes. I would agree that something like the WR250 is a better off road bike, but you won't pick up one of those used on CL for $1,500 either.

I have ridden some gnarly single track in Alaska, Montana, Washington, and California on my '99 and it has handled everything I throw at it with ease. Get your suspension set up for your weight, throw a 14T CS sprocket on it, and check your valves regularly and it will go anywhere you are capable of taking it!

The only downsides I have found are the lack of aftermarket farkles for it and the stock seat. With a cheap welder and a little creativity, you can build the racks and skid plate yourself. Spare parts are abundant online. Get a Stearns ATV seat cover, makes the seat infinitely more comfortable.

YMMV
Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvthnks
I'd clean up both contacts or replace as needed and ensure each connection is clean clean clean.

then i'd worry about it no more

That's exactly what I'm doin'.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief
I would have to disagree with the lack of off road capability. Actually, the light weight simple design works great off road compared to the bigger bikes. I would agree that something like the WR250 is a better off road bike, but you won't pick up one of those used on CL for $1,500 either.

I have ridden some gnarly single track in Alaska, Montana, Washington, and California on my '99 and it has handled everything I throw at it with ease. Get your suspension set up for your weight, throw a 14T CS sprocket on it, and check your valves regularly and it will go anywhere you are capable of taking it!

The only downsides I have found are the lack of aftermarket farkles for it and the stock seat. With a cheap welder and a little creativity, you can build the racks and skid plate yourself. Spare parts are abundant online. Get a Stearns ATV seat cover, makes the seat infinitely more comfortable.

YMMV
Tim

School me on setting up the suspension. My weight with gear is around 155-160 lbs.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvthnks
resistance equals heat. It's very common for a connection that carries voltage to corrode like that due to a dirty or otherwise poor connection. The dirtier it gets, the more the resistance increases and more heat is generated.
Doesn't LOWER resistance produce more heat? As in, E = IR, voltage equals current times resistance, and with voltage constant, if resistance decreases, current increases, resulting in more heat?

Or, has Mr. Ohm just been funnin' us?
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Disclaimer: I am not a suspension expert by any stretch of the imagination and have no experience other than working on my own dirt bikes/ATVs! I only know what I did to set it up for me, which was all trial and error. That is what is so cool about this bike, you can't really screw anything up!

I weigh about 180 with gear. Change fork oil regularly, it is a very simple job and makes a big difference. Being a cheap KLR owner, I use ATF instead. I experimented with different quantities of fluid, settled on draining fluid and adding 275ml as per the manual. I also run about 10 psi in the front forks to get rid of the mushy feel and stop them from bottoming out. On the rear, bumped the damper up to 4 and set the spring preload to 42mm.

Between these changes, it significantly changed how the bike handles rough trails. I think I may have finally got it right. I rode some of the craziest trails I ever have on Thursday and faster than I ever have and didn't bottom the suspension a single time. Handling was incredible and the only time I was sliding was because I wanted to! Not that I am completely satisfied with it or is it ready for MX style jumps, but for my style of riding it is adequate. I am still looking at a new rear shock and maybe new fork springs, but it's not required, just be a nice mod to have!

YMMV,
Tim
Old 09-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
zumohamr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I am looking for something reliable right now that can go on short trips until Japan builds/imports something i like. A Tenere woud be nice. How is the bike around 60mph? West Virginia is Great. Thanks.
zumohamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

60mph for how long? It will do it all day long, but my threshold of highway speeds is about 250 miles in a day. Off road/fire roads/trails, all day rides are not a problem, but it is definitely not a long range highway bike for cranking out 500 mile days!

YMMV,
Tim
Old 09-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumohamr
I am looking for something reliable right now that can go on short trips until Japan builds/imports something i like. A Tenere woud be nice. How is the bike around 60mph? West Virginia is Great. Thanks.

They're huffin' and puffin' pretty good at 60 mph. Bump the front sprocket up one tooth and it runs about 500 rpm's lower in 6th gear. You'll be shifting more on the hills though.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer
Doesn't LOWER resistance produce more heat? As in, E = IR, voltage equals current times resistance, and with voltage constant, if resistance decreases, current increases, resulting in more heat?

Or, has Mr. Ohm just been funnin' us?

NO - resistance (or change of energy) = heat (in this case) ! The point is - if the current flow increases thru the resistance, the current resisted is LESS so resistor is not as hot

Energy cannot be made - its form is just altered. So if more current flows, there's less energy available to produce any excess heat

Simples
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote