ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #346
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,838
congratulations

thanks to all for coming out and making this happen. eric, we appreciate your effort to make this happen. jimmy and ryan, owe you guys all these newly acquired skills.

another memorable event....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #347
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,182
Laugh

You guys learn up some stuff...No pics didn't happin
Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #348
BiggieFalls
b00b

Oddometer: 949
Yep! Another great class. Thanks to all the ADV crew for coming out and making this happen and special thanks to Ironman Ryan Hanna and The Man Jimmy Lewis. I think everyone had a great time and took full advantage of the class. I know I did.

I was the guy that sent everyone to the wrong entrance. It was my first time at Glen Helen. Here's exactly where you want to go tomorrow. Do not go to the main regional park entrance. There will be overflow parking on the West side of the road. And don't forget that it's DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME. GPS Coordinates: N 3411.395 W 11723.380

View Larger Map

BiggieFalls screwed with this post 11-06-2010 at 10:55 PM
BiggieFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #349
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
so did he teach you guys how to run the down hills at Glen Helen with the throttle pinned??????? j/k

i got to do one of his classes someday.

JeffS77 screwed with this post 11-07-2010 at 07:02 AM
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #350
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77
so did he teach you guys how to run the down hills at Glen Helen with the throttle pinned??????? j/k

i got to do one of his classes someday.

hi jeff, lots of things going on yesterday and i don't remember which hill we rode down, but you'll see us here doing the hill climb

Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #351
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat
You guys learn up some stuff...No pics didn't happin

where's eric when the world needs him.....
Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #352
BiggieFalls
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
where's eric when the world needs him.....
Dang Joel, take it easy. I needed a little break. I should get something started this afternoon.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #353
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieFalls
Dang Joel, take it easy. I needed a little break. I should get something started this afternoon.
it's afternoon now! are you still stuck in the can.....

Old 11-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #354
BiggieFalls
b00b

So last Saturday the LA Weekend Riders had our very own Jimmy Lewis class and it was great.

I'm pretty new to dirt biking, getting my first dirt bike late in 2007 but not being able to ride it until early 2008. Not too long after, I went to a barbecue at Irv Seaver BMW where Jimmy Lewis was giving a demonstration in the parking lot. He was promoting his off road riding school. I never followed motocross and had no idea who Jimmy Lewis was. However, the demonstration, which he did in a tiny little area of the parking lot with one little dirt mound, was so impressive that I immediately subscribed to his mailing list then went home and found out quite a bit about him.

Photos by Edelwys

For those of you that don't know, here are a few of Jimmy's accomplishments:
Four times AMA National Hare & Hound winner; Three times AMA National Reliability winner
1989-1992: 4 gold medals in the International Six Day Enduro
1991: AMA Amateur of the Year
1992: ISDE Junior World Champion
1993: 2nd in Baja 1000 Rally
1997: 4th in Paris-Dakar Rally
1998: 1st in Baja 1000 Rally
2000: 3rd in Paris-Dakar Cairo Rally / 1st in Dubai Rally
2004: Piloted the BMW HP2 to a finish in the Baja 1000.
2005: 3rd place in Baja 1000 Pro class.
2005: 7th place in the Red Bull Last Man Standing challenge.
2005: 1st place Industry class at several GNCC races.
2006-Present: Retired from Racing / Running his own Off-Road Riding School while working as the full time editor of Dirt Rider Magazine

I was excited and ready to take one of Jimmy's classes. But I never got any mailings and never saw any classes listed on his website. A year after the first barbecue, I heard Jimmy Lewis was going to be there again so I went back. Again, pretty much the same demonstration and again I was really impressed, even after my skills had improved quite a bit in the preceding year. So I asked about the lack of classes and mailings and the response was completely understandable because it's the same reason so many of us can't get out and ride that much. They were just to busy with their everyday lives and jobs. Jimmy is the editor of Dirt Rider Magazine and his wife Heather who helps teach the class is a forensic scientist at the OC Coroner's office. They told me that due to a computer issue, they had lost all their old email addresses and that they were serious about starting up their classes again. They even had a class scheduled for the next day, Easter, as well as two others in the near future. I subscribed again to the mailing list and expressed my strong interest in one of their upcoming classes.

Photo by Edelwys

I ended up attending the May 15-16 class in Keyesville along with my friends Riddler990 and h8chains. Six others attended the class as well and we all had a great time, learning lots of great stuff. On top of that, the weather was perfect and the environment was unbelievably beautiful. It was a perfect weekend for me. I had a couple of A-ha moments that improved my riding tremendously.

Click image for Keyesville slideshow.

During the class Jimmy told us that we could have our own class if we could guarantee at least six riders would come. Being the slow learners that we are, Joel (h8chains) and I started working on that soon after the class was over. We had a great core of interested riders that were in the whole time. We had a couple of riders that unfortunately couldn't make it due to date conflicts. We also had a few riders that couldn't make it for other reasons. In the end, we had 11 riders show up for the class that we had last Saturday. Five of us were repeat customers from the May class. We liked it enough to pay to take it again. None of us were disappointed.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #355
BiggieFalls
b00b

So Saturday started out with me being late. I needed to get extra fuses due to an electrical problem on my bike but all the auto parts stores have bankers hours nowadays. Got to the gate at Glen Helen around 8:20 and everyone else was already there and signed up and ready to go. It looked like everyone had shown up as promised except Chris (foul plug) who had let me know that he might not make it. I filled out the necessary paperwork and we proceeded into the park.

Here's Paul (loner) and Joel (h8chains) in the white truck and BJ (DirtTrailER) and Les in the black truck.

John (jnyrav), a fellow OC rider, decided to ride up. Nice.

In the van is Turin (grinder96). The white truck in the middle is Ryan Hanna, another accomplished rider who would be Jimmy's assistant on Saturday and the truck in the back is Mark (MJS) and his wife Luanna.

Here's Jeff (JAB) with his XR628R.

In we go.

Here's Jimmy's mobile classroom/hotel/garage/etc. Very handy.

We set up class right next to the bleachers in case any of you wanted to come watch us. Maybe next time.

Jimmy's all business and so is this location. There won't be any riding around looking for somewhere to practice the drills or pretty trips down to the river on this one. It's all happening in this big dirt lot.

As everyone is getting into their gear, Chris, who I thought was not going to make it, finally showed up on his GS800. He had done some late night subframe work to his bike the night before and barely was able to make it. Chris is also from OC and also rode his bike up.

This is John (jnyrav). He's relatively new to our little group but I think we will be seeing a lot more of him in the near future.

This is Jeff (JAB). He been part of the group for a while but doesn't get much opportunity to ride. Maybe this little boost will encourage him to re-prioritize his life.

This is Les. He's a friend of BJ's and a fellow Husky rider. We'll try to get him and BJ on some of the Cleveland National Forest rides.

Here's Turin (grinder96). He's been part of the LA group for a while, but also doesn't get to ride with us much.

Here's BJ. The only 650X rider this time. Last class he was one of three.

This is Luanna. She was also at the last class with her husband Mark (MJS).

Joel's bike and Paul's bike. Along with a 990A there were only three KTM's, a lot different than a typical LA Weekend ride. I guess if you own a KTM you don't need to take classes because the bike makes you that much better.

And here's Joel (h8chains), fellow instigator, changing out of his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costume and into his riding gear.

Let's go guys. We've got drills to do.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #356
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

great intro and we're in a good roll....

i have pics to post too so you guys tune in...
Old 11-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #357
BiggieFalls
b00b

So after everyone gets suited up and ready, we all take seats in the front row: Turin, John, Jeff, BJ, Chris, Paul, Joel, Luanna, Mark and Les

Jimmy steps up to his podium and begins today's lesson. I think we all wanted to just get on our bikes and start doing stuff. There will be plenty of time for that later. First, Jimmy gives us tons of information. The day was one big upload of information backed up by execution.

Everything we covered in class began with a thorough explanation broken down into its most basic steps.

This was followed by a demonstration with further explanation and opportunity for questions.

This is a class about the basic underlying processes and skills required for off-road riding. These skills are used from your first day on a bike to the highest levels of riding. Jimmy and Ryan both claim to still practice these exact same drills.

We would then mount up and practice the drills ourselves with the supervision of Jimmy and Ryan. Patty Cake over the bars was one of the drills. Here it's being executed nicely by the OC Sunshine Boys Chris and John.

Jimmy explaining to Joel that this is the correct orientation of the bike to the ground. (Perpendicular)

Moment of enlightenment for Joel. Yes, perpendicular does seem better than parallel.

Les looks like he done with the first set of exercises.

Paul getting some advice and suggestions from Jimmy. This is one of the best things about this class. Jimmy can spot what you're doing wrong from 100 feet away and explains to you how to fix it. He does this all day long with every drill and every student.

Jimmy looks like he's afraid to touch Chris' bike. Maybe he's waiting for his ten foot pole.

Here Jimmy's demonstrating what happens, usually after lunch when you're riding around in this position...

...then you get a sudden burst of rear end propulsion. Or I switched the pictures and he's explaining something about panic braking.

We all pay close attention, waiting for our chance to practice, hoping we can put all the steps together in the right sequence.

That was kind of tiring, we should probably break for lunch.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #358
DirtTrailER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Great Show, Eric!

Thanks Eric for a great show.
Hope you don't mind if I steal some of your pictures...
BJ
Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #359
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrailER
Thanks Eric for a great show.
Hope you don't mind if I steal some of your pictures...
BJ

hi bj, if you want to snatch some pics, here are a few of you

class about to start

adv rubberneckers

it's all about the fingers

hey you on the xchallenge, stop taking ryan's spot.....

the 2 best riders in the class

try to be smoooooooth when your maneuver

those are just teasers, i'm holding off the good ones; hint... i have a paypal account...
Old 11-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #360
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

perfect background can't be any better. those hills inspire me to learn and try harder cuz i wanna do some hill climbs.

jimmy emphasized to develop the skill to balance the bike while stationary or moving; there you go folks, that's $20 worth of advice

dancing while the class is in session is totaly rude.....

jimmy and i are about the same height. he gave us pointers on how to switch on both sides of the bike without causing it to tip over; proper foot and body positioning, hopping and timing are keys

don't mind the others, they are all slow learners, but eric this dude is a prodigy

paul got it made, the 450 exc was so balanced and all he had to do is hop on it

john did very well even he was on a big bike

chris took some magic pills earlier, which gave him the feeling of being in the clouds.....j/k