Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
robbymilo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
WTA - Malaysia to Mecca

Hi..
introduce my self.. i'm Robby From Indonesia
I'm planing to have a ride from Indonesia to Mecca. From Indonesia i'll shipin my motorcycle to KL first.

the question: if i ride from KL to Mecca, what i need to prepare

FYI i'm using Yamaha Scorpio Z 225CC, maybe it's only produce n sell only in Indonesia. Willing to have a ride with my F800, but i have a dream to accomplish with my Scorpio225..

Thank u for ur attention Bro.. Sist...

RobbyMilo
robby.ikh@gmail.com
Old 04-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Now THAT'S an interesting ride!! I don't think anyone here has done it before so you will be adventuring for real. From KL to Bangkok is no big deal, then you will have to ship the bike since you can't go through Burma (and China isn't worth all the crap they put you through and money they bleed you for).

My info is old, but for a very long time, the easiest place to fly the bike to is Kathmandu- but check www.horizonsunlimited.com for up to date info.

So India-Pakistan- cross to Iran (there is only one border crossing allowed down south) then either take a ferry to UAE or Bahrain or somewhere and onto Saudi or you could go to Turkey, Syria and Jordan (or go back that way). Your passport (and religion I guess) will gain you access to a ride the rest of us can not take.

I can not wait to see the ride report.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
petefromberkeley
-

A great ride!

Now THAT'S an interesting ride!! I don't think anyone here has done it before so you will be adventuring for real. From KL to Bangkok is no big deal, then you will have to ship the bike since you can't go through Burma (and China isn't worth all the crap they put you through and money they bleed you for).

My info is old, but for a very long time, the easiest place to fly the bike to is Kathmandu- but check www.horizonsunlimited.com for up to date info.

So India-Pakistan- cross to Iran (there is only one border crossing allowed down south) then either take a ferry to UAE or Bahrain or somewhere and onto Saudi or you could go to Turkey, Syria and Jordan (or go back that way). Your passport (and religion I guess) will gain you access to a ride the rest of us can not take.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
robbymilo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley

Hi Petem how are you?

thanks for your info,

FYI i'm still downloading the GPS-track from the web (n dunno if the track were use or useless)... hehehe..

one of my big concern, about my scorpio sparepart.

Pete, do u often ride accross the nation, for a thousand miles. have u meet any sparepart problem? n what is the solution??

thank u
Old 04-16-2010, 02:22 AM   #5
robbymilo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

GoogleMaps

I'm Opening GoogleMap,

First getting direction from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok and i've got 1,482KM a 2 days ride) maybe hehe..

Like Pete says, i can't get direction (on googlemap) from Bangkok to Neh Dehli.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
petefromberkeley
-

You will need to be able to get spares for your bike. You can not be in a hurry, because you might have to stay someplace and wait for spare parts to be shipped to you.

Even with your passport, you can not go through Burma- you have to fly yourself and the bike over it.

Forget about GPS tracks- there is only one main road to Bangkok. Same with most of where you are going. You may have problems traveling in South Pakistan. You will have to travel with soldiers. If it is real bad, you might have to put your bike on a train, but that is no big deal, the train goes right to the Iran border.

BTW you will need a Carnet for your bike. Contact your national Automobile Assoc. for that.

When are you going? It's getting hot ya know. Hajj is mid- November this year. That would be a perfect time (weather wise) to be in Mecca. After that, it actually gets a bit cold (and you Indonisians tend to get cold faster than some of us given the fact that it's never cold where you live). You can't cross East Turkey in the middle of winter (well, I did it by bus once, but I sure wouldn't want to be on a bike doing it).
Old 04-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
robbymilo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You will need to be able to get spares for your bike. You can not be in a hurry, because you might have to stay someplace and wait for spare parts to be shipped to you.

Even with your passport, you can not go through Burma- you have to fly yourself and the bike over it.

Forget about GPS tracks- there is only one main road to Bangkok. Same with most of where you are going. You may have problems traveling in South Pakistan. You will have to travel with soldiers. If it is real bad, you might have to put your bike on a train, but that is no big deal, the train goes right to the Iran border.

BTW you will need a Carnet for your bike. Contact your national Automobile Assoc. for that.

When are you going? It's getting hot ya know. Hajj is mid- November this year. That would be a perfect time (weather wise) to be in Mecca. After that, it actually gets a bit cold (and you Indonisians tend to get cold faster than some of us given the fact that it's never cold where you live). You can't cross East Turkey in the middle of winter (well, I did it by bus once, but I sure wouldn't want to be on a bike doing it).
Thank u Pete

I've asked the lokal automotive organization (IMI:Ikatan Motor Indonesia-red) bout the CARNET and the international License. they asked me to bring my motorcycle to Jakarta (i live in Palembang) for the CARNET administration.

and bout the sparepart, i just starting email the Yamaha manufacture in Indonesia. Ask their support for the sparepart.

Thank u for your information, it's opening my eyes and knowing that my preparation were still far from OK. but in the same time, it make my spirit become stronger (to have a ride to Mecca)

Old 04-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
zain
slow and steady

Oddometer: 64
There is one group from Malaysia is going to Mekah this Mei. Their tour name is Kembara ke Bumi Suci.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
robbymilo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zain
There is one group from Malaysia is going to Mekah this Mei. Their tour name is Kembara ke Bumi Suci.
Dear Zain,

really? sound great..

i'm still preparing my motorcycle, but it would very nice if i can corespondence with the "kembara ke Bumi Suci" rider...
Old 04-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
robbymilo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Preparing My Scorpio + Gadget

Checking the Chassis

checkin the gadget

huff... still a lot of preparation to do
Old 04-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
petefromberkeley
-

Your bike should be fine if you take it easy on the ol' girl. It's really not THAT far and it is paved the whole way. You still need access to parts though.

I can't wait to see how this works out.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
robbymilo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Your bike should be fine if you take it easy on the ol' girl. It's really not THAT far and it is paved the whole way. You still need access to parts though.

I can't wait to see how this works out.
Hi Pete..

My Motorcycle already shiped to KualaLumpur, and now she's hibernate for a while at Hannah's Home.

Still monitoring the malaysian biker who goes to Mecca also this may. try to copycat the course (it's make easier for me to ask some visa hehehe)

wish me luck
Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 AM   #13
Ficky Bharata
Standard Platform

Oddometer: 124
hi rob,
can't imagine how it's gonna be as your eager beaver came out... 4 thumbs up !
Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
robbymilo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficky Bharata
hi rob,
can't imagine how it's gonna be as your eager beaver came out... 4 thumbs up !
Thanks Bro... still must have learn many things.. include HOW-TO HAJJ with well hehehe
Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
Dhemith
n00b

Oddometer: 7
If you're home, please report Bro...
Dhemith is offline   Reply With Quote