That was a great post with good info and a lot to think about. Thanks
GS Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #17
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
I NEED that lean forward riding position.... with different handlebars, angled just right, bar-backs for my short (read, T-Rex) arms,....
Aahh..., so the complaint more specifically centers around nature's cruel trick of endowing you with an arm-leg ratio akin to a prehistoric reptile, than to the relative ergonomics of a large frame Vespa! In this understanding, the coveted 300 Super will remain atop my list of desirable object de scoot
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville
Aahh..., so the complaint more specifically centers around nature's cruel trick of endowing you with an arm-leg ratio more akin to a prehistoric reptile, than to the relative ergonomics of a large frame Vespa! In this understanding, the coveted 300 Super will remain atop my list of desirable object de scoot
Affirmation of the wisdom of not buying something without riding it first. Rent one, borrow one, work out a long test rider with the seller/dealer, etc... We internet prognosticators are indeed limited.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #19
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

"Affirmation of the wisdom of not buying something without riding it first."

Indeed, and though I have ridden a GTS250 and suffered no offending annoyances, one cannot so easily conclude what a day in the saddle will bring unless having done so.
'11 Vespa GTS300
Old 04-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #20
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville
"Talk me out of it, please"

You're probably in the wrong place here, for that. We live vicariously through others, to an extent, and if I can't afford a GTS300 right now I want YOU to buy one!

Me too. To my thinking, it is THE most desirable scooter there is. I'd get white
Me too. The red is racy and italian, the black is menacing (well as menacing as a Vespa can get ), but the white is just classy.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #21
BUZZARD II
Old Geezer

Oddometer: 479
I'm with Rhys on this, I'm sorry to say. I had a 250 GTS and yeah they sure look good. But... You do tear up the tires in less than 2500 miles. If you ride a lot and a long way (I do) it's something to consider. The only way it will ever do 83 is down a very steep hill, or if you were to believe the speedometer, don't. A real top speed of around 72 is realistic. Oil blow by at that speed also happens. And while those little wheels are great in the city on the real road with tar snakes and potholes a 16 incher increases your chance of survival. I'm 5'11" and did not fit on the Vespa. A major seat re-design is needed if your over 5'6".

Scoots are a rip to ride but if I get another one it will have bigger wheels and more cc's.

If you are planning to ride only from city to city or local trips get a Vespa. If you like to ride from state to state look elsewhere.
BUZZARD II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #22
GS Mojo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Good stuff here. Keep it coming. It's working, I'm starting to have real second doubts about this beauty.
GS Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #23
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZARD II

Scoots are a rip to ride but if I get another one it will have bigger wheels and more cc's.

If you are planning to ride only from city to city or local trips get a Vespa. If you like to ride from state to state look elsewhere.
The OP's signature line has nothing but big engined and big wheeled vehicles. Why should he buy another?
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #24
bunnybash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
How is the bv better? I would point out that even though I own a BV, after riding the Scarabeo 250ie my opinion is that the Scarabeo is the Nirvana of scooters...

Wheels, the 12 inch wheels are excellent he you plan on only riding 30mph and under. The 16 wheels on the bv feel way more stable, take pot holes it their stride, and you get much better wear.

Seat. The vespa seat feels ok and has the advantage of being bench like so you can slide back and forward on it, but the bv and beo seats actually have support and cushion and you cant feel the hard plastic on the bottom because the cushioning is so thin.

Top speed for some reason the top speed is much higher on the bv, some attribute it to the wheel size.

Acceleration, i would back my scooter as a 250 against any 300 any day, the sportscity and bv have a few tweaks not shared by the vespa. This isn't just an assumption, but tested in real world against a 300 super. The fuel commandar mod that some people use on the Quasar engines doesn't work on the Sportscity or the BV for some reason, different ECU i guess with different timings.

Storage, the storage on the Vespa is a joke... Scarabeo is the ultimate underseat storage and the BV is second.

Side stand, The side stand on the Vespa is suicide style and useless... they should have put on one of the engine kill stands instead, the BV and Beo both have this.

The vespa is only really superior in one instance, when you are walking towards the scooter, you think wow that is beautiful, but then you try to ride 50 miles on it or to ride on a busy highway and you very quickly wish you had chosen something else!

Three of us in my group of friends are scooter riders, i have the BV, another has the Beo, another has the Vespa... the guy who owns the Vespa is putting it up for sale to buy something else... His reasoning - it's overpriced and just not that good, he can get a better scooter for less money. This is after a year of trying to love riding it as much as he loves looking at it.

So yes the Vespa looks pretty, but is such an inferior package to ride and live with compared to the other Italian quasar scooters!

bunnybash screwed with this post 04-15-2010 at 08:25 PM
bunnybash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #25
bunnybash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
plus this scooter is the hotness... Scarabeo...

bunnybash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #26
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
GT series Vespas are torture for passengers; the wide bodywork forces awkward footpeg placement, leads to massive cramping, and endless bitching from the pillion.
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #27
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

It seems "Bunny" is taking the "talk you out of it part" rather seriously.
I've little doubt that a big wheel scooter, being closer to a motorcycle, will have certain advantages. In fact I think Aprilia dubs the Scarabeo an "Automatic Motorcycle". The 250 is not available in the US, unless one buys the SportCity. I suppose they amount to mostly the same thing.

Once one allows for this genre of scooter, the Kymcos, SYMs, Hondas, and even the so called super scooter Suzuki, Honda, and Yamahas are to be compared.
The Vespa aficionado won't go there.

"The vespa is only really superior in one instance, when you are walking towards the scooter, you think wow that is beautiful..."
Though you are attempting to be reductive, this is NOT to be discounted. They are indeed beautiful -and- the Scarabeo and BV are, umhh, not.

For a reasonable substitute for a motorcycle, the aforementioned 16" wheel scoots are cool. I for one, want a Vespa.
'11 Vespa GTS300
Old 04-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #28
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Vespa is the ONLY (modern day) scooter!

The Aprilia Mana is, is, is..... well it's a motootercycle (love the storage!).

The ScareBeRo or whatever it's called, has linked ABS I believe, a fully capable powerplant, and UG'LEEE!

Kymco is coming out with a People GT300, with a REAL 300cc's!!!!
Honda of Italy has the BEST scooter out there..... a Honda SH300.
Some guy is selling some 2007 SYM HD200's out of his dealership for $2,700..... BRAND NEW! The scoot that won the cross country Canonball.

But Vespa is timeless, iconic, Art Deco, it's a..... VESPA fergodsakes!
(and my back feels much better having ridden the Bandit to work tonight)
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #29
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto
GT series Vespas are torture for passengers; the wide bodywork forces awkward footpeg placement, leads to massive cramping, and endless bitching from the pillion.
Wow, another aspect I forgot. I was bikeless for seven years after about a decade of not owning a car, just a motorcycle. My reentry into two wheels was an ET4. At the time, my daughter was 10 and we thought it would be fun to take her to school on the Vespa, which is 1.5 miles from our house. We did it once or twice, and she told me she didn't want to do it anymore, because it was uncomfortable for her to sit on. The wide bodywork was too much of a reach for her legs to hit the passenger footpeg area.

Wow, I really, really did not remember that! When I realized the bike was too slow for the hills/traffic around here, I sold it and bought a moto. I like the look of the 300/250, and while it may be faster, for me, I would probably find the same shortcomings.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:57 AM   #30
adamtassell
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Vespa is the ONLY (modern day) scooter!

The Aprilia Mana is, is, is..... well it's a motootercycle (love the storage!).

The ScareBeRo or whatever it's called, has linked ABS I believe, a fully capable powerplant, and UG'LEEE!

Kymco is coming out with a People GT300, with a REAL 300cc's!!!!
Honda of Italy has the BEST scooter out there..... a Honda SH300.
Some guy is selling some 2007 SYM HD200's out of his dealership for $2,700..... BRAND NEW! The scoot that won the cross country Canonball.

But Vespa is timeless, iconic, Art Deco, it's a..... VESPA fergodsakes!
(and my back feels much better having ridden the Bandit to work tonight)
I think this is why Vespa can make an inferior product and still be so popular.....image and appearance. I don't discount the importance of the appearance of a scooter. I love the look of the larger vepsas, and I am even tempted by the prospect of owning one.

But I dont think they are not as competent as some other scooters, specifically the BV and scarabeos. The only area that the Vespa is better than the BV/Scarabs is in looks and manouverability (spelling) . The BV/Scarab is better for stability, tyre wear, rider comfort, pillion comfort, performance and storage. I think the vespa is somewhat compromised in order to maintain their most important attribute....the looks.

Still....i do like 'em alot, and they would be in the top 3 of the scooters that I would buy. So go figure
adamtassell is offline   Reply With Quote