Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #16
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Routes are finalized...we head out tomorrow afternoon. My plan is to sample lots and lots of BBQ along the way.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

keep stunting to a minimum.

Day 4

Day 5/6...We will stay 2 days near Deal's Gap.

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

Day 10...last leg home always sucks.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Good RR Song. I am still regretting bailing on that WV ride...but such is life.

The pics you have from your GoPro..riding. Is that the " take a shot ever 2 seconds" function?? And you have the HD version, right??

Can't wait to see the RR from last week's trip. I envy you guys being able to take a whole week off..I do not see that happening anytime soon in my future.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #18
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Aug 2008 - Indy MotoGP trip

...yea, so I'm a little behind in posting my RRs. This one was to the Indy MotoGP from Philly, PA with my riding buddies...August 2008. Our plan was to take a *LONG* way to Indy via MD, WV, and OH twisties...and back via similar route. So, here are some pics!

On my trusty KTM 625 smc... PERFECT for twisties.

Dinner...

We stayed at Front Royal, VA the first night. We normally have no qualms about parking our bikes outside, but on this particular night, we spotted some people suspiciously eyeing our bikes..so we decided to add some more roommates to our room.

I'm surprised I didn't take more photos along the way, but we eventually made it to Indy. The worse part of the ride was the last few hours on the dreaded highway leading into Indy. Lucky for us, my buddy Alex from Indy showed up with his RV to host us for the few days we stayed. Thanks Alex!

These are from the practice sessions.. They were still hauling ass IMO.

Too bad MotoGP is not so popular in the US.

The RV... smells like something burning.

Sweet..

squid alert!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #19
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice. $52 for a Rossi t-shirt. $35 for Lorenzo.

Nice use of duck tape.. personally I prefer Gorrilla Tape.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

more practice sessions.

The race begins!

We need more fans..

Pedrosa's bike taking a nap. It's amazing how many places he regained by the end of the race.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So after a few days in Indy, we were excited to hit the road again.

And we enjoyed some very fine WV and VA asphalt...

Blue Ridge Parkway is always a blast..

Old 04-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #22
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Missing some pics there Song? LOL
Old 04-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #23
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

6 of us decided to do a w/e in the north/central PA mountains for this w/e trip. We planned to stay in cheap cabin in Coudersport, PA.

For this trip, I decided to take my sport touring track bike R1. It's surprisingly comfortable and is as smooth as a Cadillac compared to my paint can shaker KTM 625smc. Well, it is a thumper.. Anyway, as you can see, the R1 still has track plastics. I slapped on a headlight, mirrors, signals, and tail light/plate. They were calling it a locomotive.

This guy cannot live w/o his phone.. I try to use my phone as little as possible on w/e bike trips. It's my time to get away from it all.

We had some unexpected roadside repairs.. Front cylinder was cutting out. The sparkplug got wet from all the rain.. Bad design for the SV. Luckily we found a Napa to fix it up in a couple hours.

no..we never laugh at other people's misery. we're laughing *with* you..

...and finally the weather clears!

Pit stop at the PA "grand canyon".

hmm...no so "grand" if you ask me. Well, I did just get back a few weekends prior from a 1 week trip to *real* Grand Canyon.

Rt 6 is not the place for a spirited ride as a few of my buddies found out the hard way. They can't say I didn't warn them. Lucky for me and a couple others, we hung back enjoying the scenery. Rt 6 is not tight enough to really enjoy it unless you're doing stupid speeds anyway.

Otherwise, the ride was going smoothly...until...

We had another unplanned pit stop. One of the new guys on our ride target fixated and ran his nice shiny Ducati into a ditch going about 20mph around this turn. Luckily, it was a soft ditch on the side of the road and the damage was very minor.

And, moving on. We head towards Centralia, PA to check out the deserted town d/t an underground coal fire.

Having some fun in the mud in Centralia, PA....

...sort of.

Let's try that again..

...oops.

TJ showed us this creepy memorial. It had a photo of the kid at the memorial when he was alive. MD was weirded out by it so naturally TJ snatched one of the little green toy soliders and hid it on MD's bike. LOL, seeing MD's reaction when he found it about an hour later after we left Centralia..

This w/e trip didn't go as smoothly as it could've, but it was still better than staying home.

eSONG screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 12:27 PM
Old 04-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #24
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

First w/e ride for 2011.. Friday after work, we're heading out to Shawnee State Park. Then on Saturday and Sunday we'll focus on the twisty back roads. About 300 for Saturday, 300 for Sunday.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #25
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
what an absolutely SUPERB thread
incredible rides and reports
fantastic photography
thank you so much for sharing with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #26
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
what an absolutely SUPERB thread
incredible rides and reports
fantastic photography
thank you so much for sharing with us
Thanks! Glad you like it.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #27
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

First w/e ride for 2011.. Friday after work, we slabbed it on i-76 until the Blue Mountain exit. Grabbed a quick bite and warmed up a bit. Then it was off to Shawnee State Park the rest of the way via backroads.

The plan for Saturday and Sunday was about 300 miles each. Blue route for Saturday and Green for Sunday. Looking back, the Green route coming back was better than Saturday's route. In fact it was so good, that we decided to use this route next time to ride out Saturday morning and use the same route to come back on Sunday. We'll skip the semi boring Friday night ride.

Loaded up and ready to roll.. I ride it to work like this so I can take off directly from work.

Shawnee State Park

Probably not a good idea during moto trips...or ever for that matter. lol.

Traveling piggy

Beautiful weather today..

Sunday...

What's for dinner?

Close call.. TJ almost lowsided here.. you can see the tire marks. He felt the rear start to slide out. When he realized he wasn't going to make the turn, he stood it up and braked for a second and then slid on some gravel. From my view, his bike looked like a bucking horse that shook very hard trying to throw him off. Somehow he managed to stay up and pulled off to the side.

And.....moving on. More nice roads.

A nice break for lunch. The burger I had was great, but the sweet potato fries..not so much (they were not crispy).

eSONG screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 07:49 AM
Old 05-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #28
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Damn that KTM SM is ugly.....lol.....Dubb's is still uglier....or is it?

Why are there two wildly separate tire tracks? Did TJ skid off road or did a car?

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/DougZ/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/DougZ/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]
Old 05-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #29
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Why are there two wildly separate tire tracks? Did TJ skid off road or did a car?

The other line must be from another car. TJ's track starts where he's standing.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #30
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We leave in just one more week...! This is the planned route for my next motorcycle ride. Hopefully the weather cooperates and the pavement is smooth. I hear there are some beat up roads from the harsh New England winters. Most days will be about 250-275 miles of twisty back roads over 9 days and about 2500 miles total.

We値l ride up from Philly to Danbury, CT Friday night after work, then head north through the Green Mountains to the Canadian border and head east through the White Mountain area of NH. We値l check out Mount Washington and stay there for a couple days to do a little sightseeing. Next we値l head back west via the famous Kancamagus Highway and back through VT towards the Adirondacks where we池e renting a lake front house for a few days. Then we値l continue south through the Catskills and camp for a night there at our usual spot near Big Pond (free primitive camping spot). Then we値l ride home from there through some nice north Jersey roads.