Oddometer: 1,320
50 more in stock!
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #77
bradtopp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
USB Charger Is Not working with iPhone 3GS

Anyone using this with their iPhone 3GS? Installed mine last weekend and tested it out for about a minute and thought all was good. Went for a good 5 hour ride today. I have my iPhone in a RAM mount and only use it for some tunes. Stopped in the middle of nowhere on a fire road to plug in my charger cable because it was getting low on juice. Went on my merry way for about 20 seconds and it popped up and said "Device not compatible with your iPhone" and it stopped charging!

Anyone else tried using this with their iPhone 3GS? If you have an original iPhone or an iPhone 3G, the charging requirements are different so no need to chime in if you have one of those models.
bradtopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #78
Burnszilla OP
BurnsMoto.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtopp
Anyone using this with their iPhone 3GS? Installed mine last weekend and tested it out for about a minute and thought all was good. Went for a good 5 hour ride today. I have my iPhone in a RAM mount and only use it for some tunes. Stopped in the middle of nowhere on a fire road to plug in my charger cable because it was getting low on juice. Went on my merry way for about 20 seconds and it popped up and said "Device not compatible with your iPhone" and it stopped charging!

Anyone else tried using this with their iPhone 3GS? If you have an original iPhone or an iPhone 3G, the charging requirements are different so no need to chime in if you have one of those models.
Brad,

I'll do a test tomorrow with my friend's iPhone 3GS.
I will also call the manufacturer to see what they have to say.

I found some info which may explain the problem...
http://carlhutzler.com/blog/2009/07/...-power-source/

http://superuser.com/questions/1348/...device-charger

I would suggest trying another iphone cable for diagnosing purposes.
If that doesn't work, you can return the charger and I'll refund you fully including the shipping both ways.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #79
bradtopp
Adventurer

Thank you for responding so quickly. I will try another usb cable tomorrow. I'm afraid I've already thrown away the packaging and modified the bracket to mount it to my bike. It wouldn't be fair to return it to you in this condition.

Please let me know what you find.

Thanks,
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
Brad,

I'll do a test tomorrow with my friend's iPhone 3GS.
I will also call the manufacturer to see what they have to say.

I found some info which may explain the problem...
http://carlhutzler.com/blog/2009/07/...-power-source/

http://superuser.com/questions/1348/...device-charger

I would suggest trying another iphone cable for diagnosing purposes.
If that doesn't work, you can return the charger and I'll refund you fully including the shipping both ways.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #80
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,197
just wired mine up to my KTM, charges my iphone fine.... apple brand wire, 3GS phone...
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #81
bradtopp
Adventurer

Thanks for the info. To make things more interesting I just took my wife's original iPhone outside and plugged it into the charger via my apple wire and it charges fine. However, as soon as I plug in my 3GS I get the incompatibility message.

Very strange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter
just wired mine up to my KTM, charges my iphone fine.... apple brand wire, 3GS phone...
Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #82
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,197
my 3gs used to give me that message when i put it in the blueray player dock... pre 3gs equipment. but it stopped notifying me after i ignored it.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #83
bradtopp
Adventurer

Yep, I know what ya mean. I get that message when I put the phone in my Klipsch dock but it eventually went away.

With the USB charger I left the message on for the next 30 minutes until the phone went dead. Then I stopped the bike, started it again, and got nothing from the dead phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter
my 3gs used to give me that message when i put it in the blueray player dock... pre 3gs equipment. but it stopped notifying me after i ignored it.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #84
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Just ordered one (actually for my Jeep, not my bike); hopefully won't have any issue with my 3GS. These look great, I can't wait to get mine!
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #85
SoCalJeff
In the wind

Oddometer: 211
Nice!! Just ordered one. Thanks.
SoCalJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #86
NxtPlato
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
ordered

just ordered two. hopefully the iphone 3gs isn't an issue!

http://www.nxtplato.com
NxtPlato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #87
Burnszilla OP
BurnsMoto.com

Brad,
I just hooked up the USB charger to an iPhone 3GS and 3G using two different cables and they both charged fine.

Some causes could be:
1. Positive and negative terminals installed incorrectly.
2. Bike battery is too low.
3. Faulty cable. (I've had many iphone/ipod cables fail. they would work when you jiggle them or bend the wire.)
4. Faulty USB charger? Try and charge a different device like an iPod or blackberry and see if it works.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #88
bradtopp
Adventurer

Thanks for the follow-up. I took great care in creating a harness for the USB charger (soldered joints, etc) and checked output with a multimeter so I doubt that is the issue but I'll tear it apart and re-wire it this weekend.

Did you wire directly to the battery? I purchased the the BMW harness that fits to the GPS plug under the seat so I get power only when the ignition is on and for a few minutes after ignition is shut off. This is the only device connected to the harness and I have ample amperage.

It is definitely not the apple cable as it is the same one I'm using right now to charge my phone at work. My wife's original iPhone seemed to charge just fine using the apple cable and the usb charger on the bike after I found the problem.

I'll get back to you over the weekend when I find some time to re-check my wiring job.

Thanks,
Brad

Quote:
Brad,
I just hooked up the USB charger to an iPhone 3GS and 3G using two different cables and they both charged fine.

Some causes could be:
1. Positive and negative terminals installed incorrectly.
2. Bike battery is too low.
3. Faulty cable. (I've had many iphone/ipod cables fail. they would work when you jiggle them or bend the wire.)
4. Faulty USB charger? Try and charge a different device like an iPod or blackberry and see if it works.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #89
Burnszilla OP
BurnsMoto.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtopp
Thanks for the follow-up. I took great care in creating a harness for the USB charger (soldered joints, etc) and checked output with a multimeter so I doubt that is the issue but I'll tear it apart and re-wire it this weekend.

Did you wire directly to the battery? I purchased the the BMW harness that fits to the GPS plug under the seat so I get power only when the ignition is on and for a few minutes after ignition is shut off. This is the only device connected to the harness and I have ample amperage.

It is definitely not the apple cable as it is the same one I'm using right now to charge my phone at work. My wife's original iPhone seemed to charge just fine using the apple cable and the usb charger on the bike after I found the problem.

I'll get back to you over the weekend when I find some time to re-check my wiring job.

Thanks,
Brad
My connection was wired directly to the battery.
I would be concerned with the BMW GPS connection..
Direct connection to the battery would be the best way to diagnose the problem.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #90
bradtopp
Adventurer

Could you please explain why it is a concern? I'd be much more concerned wiring directly to the battery. I've learned over the years to never wire directly to the battery without a relay. The GPS connection is CAN bus controlled and prevents battery drainage. The cigarette lighter type charger I had wired to the same GPS harness had no problems for the past year (BMW GPS harness wired to cigarette adapter to car iPhone USB charger).

I'll give wiring directly a shot but I know with 100% certainty this will make no difference.

Quote:
My connection was wired directly to the battery.
I would be concerned with the BMW GPS connection..
Direct connection to the battery would be the best way to diagnose the problem.