Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #91
Burnszilla OP
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtopp
Could you please explain why it is a concern? I'd be much more concerned wiring directly to the battery. I've learned over the years to never wire directly to the battery without a relay. The GPS connection is CAN bus controlled and prevents battery drainage. The cigarette lighter type charger I had wired to the same GPS harness had no problems for the past year (BMW GPS harness wired to cigarette adapter to car iPhone USB charger).

I'll give wiring directly a shot but I know with 100% certainty this will make no difference.
Many posts here in the GSpot talk about how the Canbus detects devices attached to it, like the BMW battery tender. It also has a virtual fuse. It can act differently from a standard battery connection. Many companies like Kisantech have had to redesign their headlight modulators to work with the canbus.

I'm asking you to connect it directly to the battery to diagnose your problem.. I'm just trying to eliminate possible issues. If there is no problem with the direct battery hookup then we know that the BMW GPS connector could be causing some weird electrical problem. If you experience the same non-charging state from direct to battery, then we can blame the USB charger.
If it's the USB charger I'll send you a new one, even if you hacked it up.
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #92
bradtopp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I will definitely give it a shot.

Thanks,
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
Many posts here in the GSpot talk about how the Canbus detects devices attached to it, like the BMW battery tender. It also has a virtual fuse. It can act differently from a standard battery connection. Many companies like Kisantech have had to redesign their headlight modulators to work with the canbus.

I'm asking you to connect it directly to the battery to diagnose your problem.. I'm just trying to eliminate possible issues. If there is no problem with the direct battery hookup then we know that the BMW GPS connector could be causing some weird electrical problem. If you experience the same non-charging state from direct to battery, then we can blame the USB charger.
If it's the USB charger I'll send you a new one, even if you hacked it up.
bradtopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #93
CRSAIL
CRSAIL

Oddometer: 15
I hooked the USB Socket to a fuse block (PC-8: unswitched port), and everything seems to work fine with an iPhone in GPS mode. I did get the incompatibility message a couple of times when I didn't have the cable plugged all the way into the the iPhone port (and ran out of juice). I am using a Belkin cable to the iPhone.
CRSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #94
bradtopp
Adventurer

I honestly am not sure what the deal is with the USB Charger. Here is what I tried this weekend:

1. Went for an hour long ride Saturday with my wife's original iPhone plugged into it. Not a single issue. Charged fine.

2. Went for another hour long ride today with my phone plugged into it. 10 minutes into the ride I got the incompatibility message and it stopped charging. Tried unplugging and replugging into the USB charger several times, made sure the dock plug was tight, and then tried a different USB cable. No change.

3. Since I promised I would do this, I cut off the BMW harness and wired directly to the battery. I then went for a ride and within a few minutes I got the incompatibility message. Since I was with a buddy today, we turned around and went home and wired up the USB harness to his bike and plugged his iPhone 3GS into the charger. Guess what, after about 15 minutes he got the incompatibility message and he was done charging.

I think I'm going to give up and buy a powerlet charger cable. It is really too bad as I really liked the thought of the USB charger.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #95
Burnszilla OP
BurnsMoto.com

Brad,
Is it giving the incompatible message only when it's fully charged?
Old 06-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #96
bradtopp
Adventurer

Hello,

No, the phone was between 1/2 and 3/4 charged when I was doing all of this today. Yesterday it was nearly dead when I was attempting to charge it.

Thanks,
bradtopp
Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #97
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,169
oddly enough, i got an incompatability message in my toyota tacoma yesterday, phone wouldnt charge, just as i turned on the A/C. now, this might have been coincidence. i unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked. i think it might have to do with the relative "cleanness" of the electrical supply.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #98
bradtopp
Adventurer

Burnszilla,

The only conclusion I can draw is that my USB charger has an electrical issue. If you are willing to send me a new one I will try it for a while in my Jeep before installing it on the motorcycle.

I will return the old one if you want it for research purposes.

I was going to buy a Powerlet adapter but after seeing the $49 price tag, I'm willing to try another $20 USB Charger.

I also sent you a PM.

Thanks,
BradTopp
Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #99
Burnszilla OP
BurnsMoto.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtopp
Burnszilla,

The only conclusion I can draw is that my USB charger has an electrical issue. If you are willing to send me a new one I will try it for a while in my Jeep before installing it on the motorcycle.

I will return the old one if you want it for research purposes.

I was going to buy a Powerlet adapter but after seeing the $49 price tag, I'm willing to try another $20 USB Charger.

I also sent you a PM.

Thanks,
BradTopp
Brad,
I just packaged up another USB charger for you to test. It will be in the morning's mail.
Let me know how it goes.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #100
bradtopp
Adventurer

I sincerely thank you. This is what I call customer service. I will not modify the new one at all so I can return it in the original packaging if I encounter another failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
Brad,
I just packaged up another USB charger for you to test. It will be in the morning's mail.
Let me know how it goes.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #101
SoCalJeff
In the wind

Oddometer: 211
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJeff
Nice!! Just ordered one. Thanks.
Ordered on 6/2 and it came to the doorstep today. Thank you!
SoCalJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #102
Burnszilla OP
BurnsMoto.com

I got a call the other day from a customer who was trying to charge an iPhone 3GS and was having problems, but he figured it out afterwards... The polarity on his wiring was reversed. And now it charges fine on his Moto Guzzi Brevia wired directly to the battery with SAE.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #103
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 501
I am trying to mount one up on my thumper (KTM690R) and not sure of the best location. Anyone got any pics of them mounted up on a thumper or a bike with minimal locations?

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #104
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
I can't help you directly, but even though this is weatherproof with the cap on, if you intend to use it in the wet, you need to make sure it is pointing down at least a little. Once you plug in the USB it is no longer waterproof.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #105
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm
I am trying to mount one up on my thumper (KTM690R) and not sure of the best location. Anyone got any pics of them mounted up on a thumper or a bike with minimal locations?
wire it up behind the headlight, with enuogh slack to reach the tankbag when in use.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote