Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #31
txmudmonkey
TAT nooby

Oddometer: 14
Cargo trailer converted to VERY basic toybox

I converted this from a basic single axle/no brakes 6x13 cargo trailer ($2100 used) to a self contained although VERY basic toybox live aboard several years ago. It is simplicity itself with 5000 btu window unit in the front, microwave, front kitchen facility, portapotty, and a hinged bunk on each side. 12 cup elec coffeepot to heat water for basin bath. Single burner cannister type propane camp stove for cooking. If you are parked in a HOTZONE you have INTERNET. My 4.7 liter V8 '02 Tundra pulls it effortlessly (beyond speed limit...LOL and gets 14 mpg) and it carries two dirt bikes or one ATV or big street bike. The box on top carries all the outside gear like awning and poles, chairs, tools, tents, etc. I stripped the inside particle board out and insulated with 1 inch foam and skinned the inside with Filon and thin plywood. I installed eBay RV door and windows with screens. I strap a 4 foot folding table to the outside. It serves as a utility trailer until I take it on an adventure. I fabricated roll down screening for the rear when sleeping in clement weather. In cold weather you button it up and you are snug. A pull out RV type electrical cord provides power for computer , TV, radio, AC, heater, etc. I can carry a generator in the truck with another motorcycle and a kayak on the top of the truck. It was a fun project and I could build a better one now. Build one for yourself, it is a hoot....
Attached Images

txmudmonkey screwed with this post 04-29-2010 at 07:40 AM
txmudmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #32
txmudmonkey
TAT nooby

Cargo trailer toybox pt. 2

This is a view of inside of trailer above...didn't know how to put more than one pic in message.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #33
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
TXmudmonkey - Your conversion is awesome. How tight to the wall do your fold away bunks tuck in when folded up? Awesome rig .
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:58 AM   #34
txmudmonkey
TAT nooby

Cargo trailer toybox

Thanks,
the bunks are just plywood 24" wide hinged to inside wall of trailer and swing down onto 2 metal pipe legs which unscrew and store. They hinge up flat against wall and stay out of the way until your bikes or ATV is unloaded then can be deployed. Most of the materials are from Home Depot and Walmart. The awning is a tarp and the poles are tent poles from Walmart. The ugly AC unit is hidden and streamlined by the Filon shroud I cobbled together. The power panel is a heavy duty extension cord with multi outlets (with breaker) from Home Depot that runs to the outside thru a hatch I got at the local RV supply.
Admittedly this is all kinda crude but serves my purpose well. When you lock it up it protects your stuff very well as compared to hauling your stuff on an open trailer. It remains light and easy to pull because it has just one axle, no brakes, no water tanks, etc. and has adequate headroom for me...I am 5'9". The bunks are mounted high enough off the floor that Rubbermaid tubs slide under and you can carry a world of stuff in those (food, clothes, tools, etc.) Bicycle hooks along both sides gets stuff off the floor. In a rig this small you have to pack carefully and have a place for everything out of the way. My dog and me actually lived in this thing for 3 weeks while my house was being finished...LOL.
You can configure yours exactly to your needs.
Attached Images

txmudmonkey screwed with this post 04-29-2010 at 07:35 AM
Old 11-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #35
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
bringing up an old thread...

i want to use my 5 X 8 enclosed trailer for a couple of overnighters (like for this weekend). its a bit taller than most, so i shouldn't feel too cramped.

so this may be a stupid question, but how do you keep the doors closed (mine even does have a side door) from the inside, and what keeps someone from locking me in??

Do you do something like add a door that swings in and closes from the inside, and then leave the regular door swung open?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #36
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg
bringing up an old thread...

i want to use my 5 X 8 enclosed trailer for a couple of overnighters (like for this weekend). its a bit taller than most, so i shouldn't feel too cramped.

so this may be a stupid question, but how do you keep the doors closed (mine even does have a side door) from the inside, and what keeps someone from locking me in??

Do you do something like add a door that swings in and closes from the inside, and then leave the regular door swung open?
I put a little dead bolt thingy http://wwhardware.com/showimage.cfm?...id=SP232%20PB4 on the inside, then lock the out side latch in the unlocked position.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #37
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
A version of what txmudmonkey did is what I recomend. I build stuff like this for customers often, start with an inexpensive cargo trailer and build what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #38
sailwing2003
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
JXG, you have questions, and just need to go here:

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

This is the tear drop trailer forum, and way down the page is the Cargo Trailer Conversions
Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs threads.

There are several way to handle the door handle locking problems. Details in the build threads.

I have an Avalanche with a 5.3 V-8, and tow a Work & Play 18LT. The mileage is killed by the height and width of the trailer, not so much by the weight. I get almost the same MPG empty trailer as loaded with gear and two bikes. I love what others build into their cargo trailer. TXmudmonkey has done a great job of getting what he needed into his trailer. CT's come in 5, 6, 7, 8' widths. Wider the better when stopped, but then the worst when towing.

When looking at trailers, 6' models have fully exposed fenders, 7' trailers have about half exposed/half inside, and the wider 8' trailers have the fenders inside the box. If I had a Toy 4 Runner, I would not go over 6' wide, and as short as I could live in, and carry the bikes. Bigger is not better when you are having to pulling the trailer.

Really glad to have an enclosed trailer, pulled to Moab in the rain and snow in April, and then to east TX last weekend in the rain. Bikes were clean and ready to ride. Having always used an open trailer in the past, I sure like an enclosed one now.

1998 Foretravel 36' Unicoach 295
Just sold the 08 GSA Adventure

sailwing2003 screwed with this post 11-18-2010 at 11:35 AM
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #39
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003
JXG, you have questions, and just need to go here:

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

This is the tear drop trailer forum, and way down the page is the Cargo Trailer Conversions
Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs threads.

There are several way to handle the door handle locking problems. Details in the build threads.

I have an Avalanche with a 5.3 V-8, and tow a Work & Play 18LT. The mileage is killed by the height and width of the trailer, not so much by the weight. I get almost the same MPG empty trailer as loaded with gear and two bikes. I love what others build into their cargo trailer. TXmudmonkey has done a great job of getting what he needed into his trailer. CT's come in 5, 6, 7, 8' widths. Wider the better when stopped, but then the worst when towing.

When looking at trailers, 6' models have fully exposed fenders, 7' trailers have about half exposed/half inside, and the wider 8' trailers have the fenders inside the box. If I had a Toy 4 Runner, I would not go over 6' wide, and as short as I could live in, and carry the bikes. Bigger is not better when you are having to pulling the trailer.

Really glad to have an enclosed trailer, pulled to Moab in the rain and snow in April, and then to east TX last weekend in the rain. Bikes were clean and ready to ride. Having always used an open trailer in the past, I sure like an enclosed one now.
thanks for the reply. i found (and joined) that website last night. I picked up a 5 x 8 a couple of months ago, and just started thinking about the occasional overnighter in it (there is a camp and ride locally this weekend, but i probably won't be doing that one just yet). Just got to thinking about how the heck i would close the doors (1 barn in the back and 1 side) without some wise a$$ locking me in.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #40
HIPPYHUNTER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Keep the intel flowing on enclosed trailer conversions!
Old 12-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #41
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,425
Laugh my camp conversion...

lots of pics here...

http://hightechcoonass.smugmug.com/Other/Camp-Kitchen-and-trailer/10328703_WGQvx#714929824_HK6eR

sail boat windows, boat hatches, used camper windows, old tool boxes, andscrap awning from ebay.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #42
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post

Nice set-up! I have a little 5x8 that I added windows and a side door. It's basic, I wanted it left with plenty of cargo room for the toy(s).

For my needs; an oversize "cot" for sleeping, tent heater, and camp supplies works best.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #43
NaeKid
Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer: 168
Here is a possible answer for the original poster (if you are still looking):

http://www.southlandtrailers.com/roy...tem=motorcycle

If you read the features, it is designed to haul a bike in comfort with a man-door for access to cargo and it wouldn't take any work at all to strip-down an old tent-trailer for its fridge, stove, matress, etc and work it all into the trailer for comfortable living with 12-volt lighting and 120-volt shore-power - and - as others have said, eBay will get you RV windows for fairly inexpensive ...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: