ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Question CA-120 @ US-6, east of Mono, to Bodie and Bridgeport

I've done 120 from US 6 to US 395. Anyone know any (paved?) route east of Mono Lake to CA 167 Pole Line Road? Like Dobie Meadows Road? If not paved, what is it like?

How is the Cottonwood Canyon Road from CA 167 to Bodie? Compare it to the main road into Bodie from US 395?

What about Bodie Masonic Road to Aurora Canyon Road back to US 395 at Bidgegport? Again, what is it like?

And from 4 Corners to Masonic, then out to CA 182 at the north end of Bridgeport Reservoir?

Google Map ==> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...633a6bb48f56ba

thanks,
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 04-17-2010 at 04:04 PM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
79SouthJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275

Been wanting to ask the same question.

I did a search a while back and found this photo. Hope it was ok to post the image. I believe it is one of the roads to Bodie, but can't be sure and can't find the old thread now.

Jim

79SouthJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej
I've done 120 from US 6 to US 395. Anyone know any (paved?) route east of Mono Lake to CA 167 Pole Line Road? Like Dobie Meadows Road? If not paved, what is it like?

How is the Cottonwood Canyon Road from CA 167 to Bodie? Compare it to the main road into Bodie from US 395?

What about Bodie Masonic Road to Aurora Canyon Road back to US 395 at Bidgegport? Again, what is it like?

thanks,
-ceej
cottonwood canyon can be done on a big bike by an intermediate rider.

hope others chime in for the other 2 routes.

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
The Bodie Masonic Road, turning off at 4 corners to go down Aurora Canyon is a loverly road. If you try doing it before early June there is one section, a northern exposure where the snow drift lasts and lasts, where you need to take a workaround that would not be fun on a big dual sport. I'd recommend taking the Bridgeport Masonic Road to Masonic and then doubling back to come out on Masonic Road at the northern end of Bridgeport Reservoir. If you don't mind rocky, gravely tracks take the Bridgeport Masonic road on out to the Historic Elbow. This route more or less follows the old stage route back out to the Walker River at the Elbow.

Dobie Meadows Road is very doable. If you try anything between Dobie Meadows Road and the Lake be ready for sections of bottomless volcanic ash/sand beds. You hit one and you need to keep your momentum. You stop and you will be stuck. On a real dirt bike they are fun. On a KLR650 they are death defying. On a GS ... well if you can get through one of those on a big GS you should be racing Dakar.

The Four Corners I mentioned is where the Aurora Canyon Road intersects the Bodie Masonic Road and keeps going, changing names to Cow Camp Road and eventually to Boundary Road before coming out on a high speed dirt road that will take you back out to the Elbow if you turn left. If you turn right it intersects with County Road 3C, a high speed run back up to Yerington. Or you can go east of 3C and pick up a power line road that will run you all the up to Lake Lahaton, coming out on the old Pony Express Trail. And then there is also a couple wicked 4x4 routes that take you over the mountains to Walker Lake.

There is a lot of good exploring to be had out there.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxkawboy
Dobie Meadows Road is very doable. If you try anything between Dobie Meadows Road and the Lake be ready for sections of bottomless volcanic ash/sand beds. You hit one and you need to keep your momentum. You stop and you will be stuck. On a real dirt bike they are fun. On a KLR650 they are death defying. On a GS ... well if you can get through one of those on a big GS you should be racing Dakar.
I did the first 10 mile section of Dobie Meadows Road (east of the road to Bodie) on my Wee Strom. Brutal sand on a big bike. My buddy's TransAlp didn't make as he totally fried his clutch. Its on my short list of "things not to do again" on the Wee Strom.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dobie Meadows - south of CA 167 to CA 120

Was that section North or South of CA 167 (Pole Line Road) which goes east from Mono Lake? I'm interested in the section south, to CA 120.
See map URL attached to original post.
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf
I did the first 10 mile section of Dobie Meadows Road (east of the road to Bodie) on my Wee Strom. Brutal sand on a big bike. My buddy's TransAlp didn't make as he totally fried his clutch. Its on my short list of "things not to do again" on the Wee Strom.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Was that section North or South of CA 167 (Pole Line Road) which goes east from Mono Lake? I'm interested in the section south, to CA 120.
See map URL attached to original post.
-ceej
It was the section north of 167, from Cottonwood Rd to 167. Our original plan was to continue on the section south of 167 and connect to 120, but it turned into a bike extraction exercise instead.

Link to our "road of bones" : http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...3,0.15295&z=13

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79SouthJim

That's the road heading east from Bodie to Hawthorne. Not far from where the picture was taken the road becomes a rocky SOB, like the sign says, rough road. Its the section from Bodie to Aurora that gets nasty as it parallels the Bodie Creek and in many sections looks like it's been the creek. Once you get past the turn off to Aurora the road goes back to looking mostly like this. It evntually comes out to what can best be termed as another four corners. The route to the west takes you back out to the historic Elbow on the Bridgeport to Wellington Highway (the elbow is where the East Fork of the Walker River turns to the east). The route to the north takes you up to Yerington, past the Baron Hilton Ranch. The route to the east takes you over Lucky Boy Pass to Hawthorne, coming back out on 359 (aka 167) as it comes into Hawthorne.

The route into Hawthorne is the 3C county road I mentioned earlier. Was just out there yesterday. Come over the hill from the Bridgeport to Wellington highway via Sand Canyon to Dead OX Canyon to Dead Ox Springs and over the Pine Groove Summit, coming down through the ghost town of Rocklin. Lot of snow still on the ground. Had to go cross country to get around a half dozen snow drifts blocking the road. BTW, that's a route you don't want to take anything much bigger than a KLR through.

kdxkawboy screwed with this post 04-18-2010 at 07:55 AM
kdxkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Quote:
It was the section north of 167, from Cottonwood Rd to 167. Our original plan was to continue on the section south of 167 and connect to 120, but it turned into a bike extraction exercise instead.
The alluvial fan coming out of the hills north of 167 is sandy, most of it deep. That short section of Cottonwood Road that crosses this fan would be deep if it didn't get all the car & truck traffic to pack it down. The Conway Ranch Cutoff, Goat Ranch Cutoff and Dobie Meadows Road run through the worse of it. Reading the geological history of the mountains out here states at one point in time many of them reached 16,000', but those peaks have been washed down to fill what were very deep and steep canyons, creating our over abundance of sand along the eastern Sierra.

kdxkawboy screwed with this post 04-18-2010 at 07:21 AM
kdxkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Not for me, thanks!

Thanks! I plan to avoid that section
We'll take 167 across.
-ceej

Quote:

Link to our "road of bones" : http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...3,0.15295&z=13
Old 04-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
Quote:

And from 4 Corners to Masonic, then out to CA 182 at the north end of Bridgeport Reservoir? thanks, -ceej
These are all good county roads when the snow melts.

There is no big bike road from Hwy 120 to the Hawthorne road.

There is sand road from hell from the hair pin turn on 120 down to Mono and around the north end along the old RR. The two roads from adobe Lake to the Hawthorne road are bad and worse.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Planning to be out that way this coming weekend, but on slightly different roads.

After Risue Canyon we plan to go south on 338 to Sweetwater (028), then south on Masonic (046) to Geiger Grade (169) and Bodie. Depending on timing we might then ride Cottonwood Canyon out to 395 and maybe catch Dunderberg Meadow and Burcham Flat on the way back north.

Is this all doable on big bikes? We're pretty comfortable on anything that isn't big rocks, big ruts and deep sand.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,548
Have ridden all of that on my 950SE, yes its doable. Enjoy

RIDE ON!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin View Post
Have ridden all of that on my 950SE, yes its doable. Enjoy

RIDE ON!
Cool, thanks very much.... really appreciate it.

Same question on Leviathan Mine, Loope Canyon, Big Springs and Golden Gate off Monitor Pass.... all doable on our ginormous beasts (GS12, Tiger and S10)... which wish they were as sleek as the 950SE...... ... a buddy of mine told me seemed to remember a steep, rocky section on Leviathan Mine that makes it best to do that one from 395 to Monitor Pass, but he wasn't certain about that.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco

lvscrvs screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 04:58 PM
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Couplea pics of Cottonwood Canyon road, from Mono north into Bodie, a bit of washboard and sand here and there but doable, pretty, you'll have it all to yourself.

End of road, Bodie in distance

lvscrvs - Loope Canyon road is mostly straightforward dirt road, but there are a few trouble spots for a bigger bike, especially ones with road oriented tires. Steep and a bit washed out with loose rocks on the road. The main Leviathan Mine road is a graded truck road, the north half towards Carson Valley is pretty canyon country.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote