ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
kiwi_outdoors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Hwy 120 to Hawthorn via Bodie

you can ride that on a big bike - we passed a 1200 Boxer on one of the rockier sections.

now if you go - take a detour to East Walker River Hot Springs and camp overnight.
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #17
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,615
We took our 26' Motorhome along Cottonwood from Bridgeport and camped half way to Bodie.

We rode the dirt east out pf Bodie on our Yamaha TW200's...easy peasy nothing to it.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
We took our 26' Motorhome along Cottonwood from Bridgeport and camped half way to Bodie.

We rode the dirt east out pf Bodie on our Yamaha TW200's...easy peasy nothing to it.
Bridgeport inn is nice. Bed was real soft. While there, I ended up at the sportsmans inn. It was cool also.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Stan View Post
Couplea pics of Cottonwood Canyon road, from Mono north into Bodie, a bit of washboard and sand here and there but doable, pretty, you'll have it all to yourself.

End of road, Bodie in distance

pretty canyon country.
Sure is !

most every roads out there is pretty do able on a 900 type bike ..
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Sure is ! most every roads out there is pretty do able on a 900 type bike ..
You ain't seen very many of the roads in the area.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #21
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
lvscrvs - Loope Canyon road is mostly straightforward dirt road, but there are a few trouble spots for a bigger bike, especially ones with road oriented tires. Steep and a bit washed out with loose rocks on the road. The main Leviathan Mine road is a graded truck road, the north half towards Carson Valley is pretty canyon country.
Thanks St Stan and others for your input. We went through there a few weeks ago, had a great time. RR in my sig.

Loope Canyon (aka Morningstar Rd) did indeed have some stretches that were pretty rocky and rutted, and steep. Even my buddy who has been riding dirt for 40 years felt challenged at times going through there on his S10. Had the same experience, albeit much shorter, on the detour that goes around Leviathan Mine. Only other particularly challenging section for me was the Geiger Grade coming into Bodie. Loose sand on top of ruts on a 550 lb beast gets... interesting.....

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #22
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
You ain't seen very many of the roads in the area.
Ridden out there quite a few times by myself and with Dick Allen and only came across a few to sandy or too steep to ride a big bike and I think he means two lane dirt roads..
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #23
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Ridden out there quite a few times by myself and with Dick Allen and only came across a few to sandy or too steep to ride a big bike and I think he means two lane dirt roads..
Dick Allen's ride is coming up soon. Back to Hawthorne this year after a stint in June lake last year. Nothing tuff, just good times with friends. 8th straight year for me

RIDE ON!