Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,258
Review: Renazco Dual Sport (seat) AKA - RDS, Bojangles, etc.

Greetings all!

I picked up my seat from James (Bojangles) yesterday. I set off from Sacramento for Santa Rosa at 7ish in the AM. Nasty ride... Nothing but heavy fog, precipitation, and to boot the breakfast joint in Winters was closed!!!!

The crappy morning ride was mitigated a great deal by gear... Look for my review of my Marsee Adventure Jacket (coming soon).

Anyways, on to the meat of this review. Let me preface this with the fact that I will continue to add to this as I put more miles on the this saddle - this is an initial report only for now...

Here we have the saddle freshly mounted on the steed...

Although mightily tempted to go for the "Creeper Pimp Package", I opted for a grey/orange in keeping with bike... BTW - Creep, for all the heckling you get - I really like the colors on your seat - it is going to look stellar when you finish up the plastics to match...

I ask James to give me a wider seat for my "wider" arse. Here is a photo (coming off the hill back into Napa) where you can see how this seat does not sitck out significantly (No KTMNate wings here!!! - sorry nate, couldn't resist!)

Another roadside shot (coming off the hill) to give you some more "looks" of the seat... Those of you looking closely will see the pouch on the seat cradling my iPod - more on this later my fellow iPod-aholics ;)

Let's talk a moment about craftsmanship... I am very impressed with the details - the straight stitching, the materials, the foam... I hung out a bit with James in his shop (sorry! no photos - secret processes and witness protedtion program and all ;) and got to watch him finishing up Alan's 950 seat. The materials being used are just top knotch IMHO in addition to the care James uses in building. Here are a few shots from my garage this morning - sorry for the shoddy pics as it was raining/dark, etc...

I opted for suede (obviously), i failed to "groom" the seat for these photos. what you notice at the rear in this photos (and others) are not imperfections, but rather "bed head" (i.e. - not brushed!).

Close up side view... You will notice the RDS logo... James asked me about stitching it in my seat and I gladly obliged as I have never had an issue with recognizing vendors with worthy products...

From the rear... Uhhhh, wait maybe I could rephrase that better... nahhhh!!!!

An aesthetic note... As shown, the logo looks great on the right - angle flows with the bike, however on the left it leaves a bit to be desired as it is the same and just is not as polished... Just my opinion.

Nice straight stitching...

Now, on to how it feels... First off, it is very different at first from your stock 640 seat.

It is taller - noticably at first. At first I also sat "on top" rather than "in" the seat - very awkward first ride. That said, in less than 5 miles, that sensation rapidly disappeared. It is still tall, but just as my bike was at first i am adjusting rapidly (btw, I am somewhat inseam challenged at 5'10" and 29/30" ish inseam...)

The suede is also a change at first. i am used to being able to slide into "position" as I ride or otherside. No go with the suede! Different at first, but I appreciated it immediately as soon as we got off road (not sure if this is an RDS extra, but james to me to some local dirt which took out to the mouth of the Russian River which dumps into the Pacific). The grip is great as well as confidence inspiring! Photo of us below mid trail for a, ahem - break... Just like a mechanic with a broke down car, james does not even have time to shod his steed with one of his saddles (however, it is shod with an Akra and packing a FCR39 - niiiicccceeeee!) Thanks for the ride and lunch James!!!!!

James is going to kill me for this, but if you are on the fence about this purchase as I was, GO SEE HIM! If you're not local, CALL HIM! Creeper pushed me over the edge as to calling him and I was glad I did. He is a professional and knows his shiznit! While I am on this, his service is top knotch! I received a call from James this morning inquiring about my ride home and how was the seat. Not only that, but making sure I knew if something was bugging me after some more miles to call him so we can revise the saddle further to my liking! Not too often do you see this with vendors... At this point though, I would call James a friend.

Let's talk about comfort now... i put in a touch over 300 miles (mostly pavement - maybe 15 miles dirt) with the first 1/3 on the stock saddle. After the ride I reflected upon my arse - yes I pondered my arse! How was it? While certainly attractive ;) , how was the condition? I was sore from a long day (for me - I know, I know - that was nothing... I can hear it now from all you IBA lunatics...) in the saddle, but as i thought about it, my arse did not HURT, nor was it sore as my stock saddle induced. I consider it a success for my wants and needs which were to increase comfort while maintaining an acceptable width in an attractive package - job well done james!

I will report further as I break it in. As an aside, James and switched bikes for a bit. I got on his (KTM comfort saddle i think, James?) and I thought, "this is comfy! why did I just drop large coin on an RDS?!?!?" In less than 5 miles I knew - I was already adjusting and had uncomfortable pressure points - in other words, nice soft and comfy at first - another torture rack right after! Niiiiceee powerband however!!!! Pipe is not near as loud while riding as it is riding behind it...

All in all I am a very satisfied customer at this point and I am confident that should I have any issue with this saddle that James will do everything to resolve it!

Michael

PS - almost forgot the iPod segment! Look in the iPod thread for more details, but suffice it to say that the rally pouch is an excellent iPod carrying method!

Old 10-24-2004, 07:26 PM   #2
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

UPDATE - went riding with Dino2000 today... Did not set my odometer so I am unsure how far we went - whatya think Dino? Sacto to Placerville the long scenic way - more than 100 miles but probably less than 150 or so....

Anyways, the point of this is to say that the seat is COMFY! I think the biggest thing was that I didn't think about it until I realized my arse wasn't a hurtin'. Stock seat and I would have been sore fo sho...

A note about the suede... We were hitting some fairly decent "puddles" at speed and the mud/water seemed to have no descernable affect - in fact, I am home now and I can't even tell (by the seat) that it was as wet as it was... Even wet, still nice and grippy while standing.

no worse for the wear!

Thanks again James.

Michael

PASSMORE screwed with this post 10-24-2004 at 07:35 PM
PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:36 PM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
First thing... I told ya so Looks great Pass. The pattern is the one I was going to go with until James and I got to talkin'... but the original curve to the end of the tank looks the shit!

Second thing... James, you bastard! Where is my "Renazco" cover? I want a freakin' "Renazco Dual Sport" logo and I want it yesterday.

Pretty soon, there isn't gona' be a KTM owner in this forum that doesn't have, or want to get a RDSS.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:44 PM   #4
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Second thing... James, you bastard! Where is my "Renazco" cover? I want a freakin' "Renazco Dual Sport" logo and I want it yesterday.

Not sure if the logo is available for the PIMP model Creep - embroiderer is not sure she has those freak color thread?!?!?!? ;)

Creep, this one is because of you and your kick in my ass - I am glad I went with it not only for the product, but for the service James is all about!

M
Old 10-24-2004, 07:50 PM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
Not sure if the logo is available for the PIMP model Creep - embroiderer is not sure she has those freak color thread?!?!?!? ;)

Creep, this one is because of you and your kick in my ass - I am glad I went with it not only for the product, but for the service James is all about!

M
Freak color? Whatcho talkin' bout?

The way I see it, offering to buy any James seat that someone is not completely thrilled with is a no brainer. It's not like I'd have any trouble turning it.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:56 PM   #6
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Fo sho Creep... Ya need to get down this way sometime and meet James. Class guy and craftsman.

How is your seat "breaking in" Creep? Sinking in at all yet? I am still getting used to the height of it - being a short legged sheite that I am!

M

PS - I was just watching Airline on TV and I noticed your seat and the Southwest planes have much in common... ;)

Quote:
Freak color? Whatcho talkin' bout?

The way I see it, offering to buy any James seat that someone is not completely thrilled with is a no brainer. It's not like I'd have any trouble turning it.

PASSMORE screwed with this post 10-24-2004 at 08:02 PM
PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:03 PM   #7
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Fo sho Creep... Ya need to get down this way sometime and meet James. Class guy and craftsman.

How is your seat "breaking in" Creep? Sinking in at all yet? I am still getting used to the height of it - being a short legged sheite that I am!

M

Color has faded a bit... no biggie. Nope, the shape and consistancy has remained the same.
The cover has "loosened" a bit. I imagine it will look like a orange and blue Chinese shar-pei dog eventually.

Having a side and centerstand helps quite a bit. side to get off, center to get on.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:06 PM   #8
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

I am looking forward to my orange fading a touch - should match up perfect then!

M

Quote:
Color has faded a bit... no biggie. Nope, the shape and consistancy has remained the same.
The cover has "loosened" a bit. I imagine it will look like a orange and blue Chinese shar-pei dog eventually.

Having a side and centerstand helps quite a bit. side to get off, center to get on.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:47 AM   #9
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,334
Good Seat

It was 172 on my clock when I got back to the house. Being a Gs guy, seats have never been a problem. I have had the oppritunity to ride a 640 w/ a factory "comfort seat" and have one thing to say: How the fuck can they use the word "comfort" . That thing was a brick!
This Renazco saddle however was killer!(thanks for letting me ride your bike Pass!). Real nice suede too, good Job Mr. Jangles! Now the question is ...........Can you do something for my DRZ 400 seat? I'll keep it if I can get a seat as good as that one
Dino
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:05 AM   #10
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Thanks for the mileage Dino... Good ridin' wit ya! Thanks for the GS experience as well - never rode one of those and all I could think of is the tales of fellas face plantin' on someone else's bike!

See ya soon.

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000
It was 172 on my clock when I got back to the house. Being a Gs guy, seats have never been a problem. I have had the oppritunity to ride a 640 w/ a factory "comfort seat" and have one thing to say: How the fuck can they use the word "comfort" . That thing was a brick!
This Renazco saddle however was killer!(thanks for letting me ride your bike Pass!). Real nice suede too, good Job Mr. Jangles! Now the question is ...........Can you do something for my DRZ 400 seat? I'll keep it if I can get a seat as good as that one
Dino
Old 10-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #11
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Did almost 275 (mostly on road) around Lake Tahoe and taking many off shoots this morning. This seat is killer. It has turned a dirt bike in to a pretty darn comfy streetable dirt bike. I did not think of mt arse once except to notice that I was comfortable. It is noticable the vibes that it takes out of the equation and the iPod "pocket" is working flawlessly still.

I will not bore anyone with further reports unless I put a significant ride on it or I have something detrimental to report.

This well could be the best mod I have made to my bike, since it makes (and allows me) me want to ride more and further...

2 Thumbs up for James!

M
Old 10-30-2004, 06:01 PM   #12
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
This well could be the best mod I have made to my bike, since it makes (and allows me) me want to ride more and further...

2 Thumbs up for James!

M
Pipes, carbs and all the other tricky shit pale in comparisson to a good seat.

Hey Pass... The offer to buy the seat if you don't like it still stands.

Still want my damn autographed cover... James you wanker you.

Good "purchase"
Creep
Old 10-30-2004, 06:05 PM   #13
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Pipes, carbs and all the other tricky shit pale in comparisson to a good seat.

Good "purchase"
Creep
Truer words have not been spoken. I am enjoying my bike like I was never able to before for fear of my ass staging a rebellion after the ride...
Old 10-30-2004, 07:19 PM   #14
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Hey! that's from you letting Loadedagain sit on your bike backwards
I actually pull the tar out of them suede seats before they leave and many have a hard time installing the 640 seats because of this. Forearms look like Popeye's by now
I recommend a seat "tuck and lift" for anybody experiencing this just send it on down for a same day turnaround.

Creep, I got your RDS logo on your new seat cover here waiting so send your seat on down and yes I have every possible color available in threads..
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:45 PM   #15
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
Hey! that's from you letting Loadedagain sit on your bike backwards
I actually pull the tar out of them suede seats before they leave and many have a hard time installing the 640 seats because of this. Forearms look like Popeye's by now
I recommend a seat "tuck and lift" for anybody experiencing this just send it on down for a same day turnaround.

Creep, I got your RDS logo on your new seat cover here waiting so send your seat on down and yes I have every possible color available in threads..
James you big tease you... toying with my seat fantasies and fetishes.
But, how do you know I don't like the shar-pei look?