User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,520
1971 Honda CL175K5 Scrambler - Looking For Info

Looking at an old 1971 Honda CL175K5 Scrambler. Found on local CL. I really don't know much about them but looking to purchase it, just do a few tweaks to make it reliable and then keeping it at our cabin as a runaround or run to town bike. Light, slow, easy to fix. Disposable almost. Cheap plates and insurance.

Here's a link to the ad with grainy cell phone pics:

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/1692970324.html

I emailed and the guy called me back. He's a soldier and is getting ready to deploy. Not a bike guy. Bought the bike about 3 months ago and hasn't done much with it. Hasn't even moved the title into his name yet. But it does have a Colorado title so that really should not be a problem to register. Said the bike runs okay but needs some TLC.

Questions:

1. Value of bike? He's asking $500 but I have no idea.
2. Looking at the picture on the right in his ad it looks like there's a big brown circle there. I don't think there's an access panel there so not sure what that is.

3. I assume this has points and condensers?
4. Are parts even available for something like this? Like if the muffler was rotted and needed to be replaced. OEM or aftermarket parts?

I found several sites with pictures and info on the bike and that does appear to be the original color. I assume this is the "Candy Topaz Orange". What a name.

From that site:

"The CL175K5 Scrambler 175 was sold in 1971 and came in three available colors: Candy Topaz Orange, Strato Blue Metallic, or Poppy Yellow Metallic. The gas tank stripe was black. The fuel tank, side covers, fenders, and upper forks are the basic color (orange, blue, or yellow). The muffler heat shield was chrome. The front fender is low mounted. The frame was a tubular cradle design. The cylinders were vertical. The engine was a 174cc OHC parallel twin linked to a 5-speed transmission. The serial number began CL175-6000001. "

Found this engine info on another site:

"This engine has 19.00 HP (13,83 kW)) @ 9500 RPM and a top speed of 128.7 km/h (79,60 mph)". Wow, 19 HP is just fine. Trying to find the weight of the machine somewhere now.

Here's a shot of a similar bike in blue. This is NOT a picture of the one I am looking at.

Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Oh, happy memories...

Back in my care-free college days I had one of these. My girlfriend and I toured all over New England on it! Here we are about to embark on another adventure. This was 1978, as I recall.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
1971 CL175K5 Scrambler 175 with Title - $500 (Academy/ Chelton)

Date: 2010-04-14, 10:56PM MDT
Reply to: sale-hebfp-1692970324@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

This vintage 1971 Honda Scrambler runs good. Could use some tuning up. The seat has a tear in it but other than that nothing wrong with it. $500.00 OBO. Serious inquiries only please.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Quoted for posterity. $500 seems a bit steep for all of the missing stuff. Just give it the normal used bike check out and determine what it would cost to replace those parts (ie wheel bearings, fork seals, brake pads, carb kit, tires, etc.). Most stuff can be found on the intertoobs.

I have a 1973 CL175. I love the old Hondas.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,572
One of my friends had one of these as his primary bike... we rode around town to the bars for at lease 9 years... his never missed a beat and he usually kept up with my CL77.... his battery was dead that whole time !

This was the 1990's btw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

What I can see right now that is missing is the side covers and the chrome luggage rack the bike should have.

What I was planning on checking:

1. Listen to it run. Listen for bad sounds.
2. Take it for a spin. Does it shift right. Does it stop?
3. Look inside the tank for rust or particles.
4. Look at the spark plugs to get an idea of engine conditon.
5. Check chain and sprockets.
6. Check all the lights, horn, turn signals, brake light, high low beams, etc..
7. Check for rust in the exhaust system.
8. Determine if a recover of the seat would work or is the foam fubar.

Tom
Old 04-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
It's been painted. I think the "big brown circle" is from the flash on the camera, that should be the access cover to the clutch, access on the other side should be the stator. On my CL200 the top access is to tack and points.
Yep, old's cool points and condensor.

Yep, you can get parts from Honda, other dealers, and Ebay, but the missing side covers may be a bitch. The exhaust looks good and I think new aftermarket might run $600 Rock what you got.

Check it out like any other bike, decide what its worth to you. From what I hear they are bitching cool.

Comparison shop here: http://craiglook.com/all.html?q=honda+cl175
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
shortridz
ShortRidz

Oddometer: 84
I have a blue 71. Sidecovers are unobtainium. exhaust can be expensive if you can find one...Most have rusted away. Dandy little bike, not too fast, but will keep up with traffic if you wring it's neck. They really like to rev...

"Without motorcycles there would be darkness and chaos." me
shortridz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:13 AM   #8
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Ran across this vid over on the hondatwins.net forum this morning.
Kinda cool http://vimeo.com/10899672
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #9
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
I had one of those new in 1971. That is the original paint but the front forks/wheel/handlebars are not, may be from a 200 that had a disk brake and chrome fender and fork ears to mount headlight. Might even be a 200 with a 175 tank, seat, and CL exhaust. The left side drive sprocket isn't correct for a 175 motor but is for a 200. Check the VIN plate when you look at it. I had a CB 200 as well.

Like others have said you have to scrounge around the web for parts and some things (side covers, exhaust, switches, air cleaners) are no longer available but they might pop up on fleabay from time to time. The CL 175 did not come with that luggage rack. That family of engines has dodgy cam chain tensioners that often weren't working right when new. If the cam chain is rattling when revved it is sawing aluminum in the block. That is the kiss of death.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Guys:

Thanks for the input. After speaking to the seller again by phone and getting a lot of "I don't know", "Not Sure" to some of my questions this morning based on your input I've decided to pass.
T.

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 04-18-2010 at 07:32 AM