User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #31
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,086
pink wire mod

Honda Wrench a dealer handout for mods had one out for the 05 .. it details some jetting, cam change, and open up air box..

at the last it mentions the pink wire mod and doing some prep for the Vegas to Reno and did this tonight..

under the left side cover there is a 6pin molex with a pink wire and one next to it with a plug... swap the wire and plug (making sure that is hasnt been done by checking the opposite connector being blank) with a small screwdriver .. this is a mod that disables or allows the rev limiter to increase and up's the ignition curve .

Next is to check the carb settings and mount up the Trailtrick re-valved Showa 47's !
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #32
Mo-Tarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Although I have done everything but the pipe/cam/pink wire mods, my X is already so fast I couldn't imagine anything making it that much better.

I may be short on imagination, or skill, or both, but damn, this bike is about as good (overall) as it gets.

I'm not surprised however. I rode three XR600Rs and a 650R, all stock except pipe/air and rear preload mods.

The only improvement I would venture for is shocks/forks. "Katrina" (the KTM with WPs) feels like a Cadillac in general terrain compared to "Honey" (the "X")
"Our lives can be spent carrying out actions that we hope will lead us to a greater sense of purpose, accomplishment and meaning, but all these are secondary to the need to feel alive." - AntiHero ADV Rider
Mo-Tarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #33
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Dead Battery

The battery(bikemaster from previous owner) on the bike died during the vegas to reno but I was able to kick it to finish.. I have had the bike down and tried to kick with a dead battery but a fully discharged one wont do the trick.. Might have to look into putting a ignition coil like the lc4 to hold a slight charge for kicking .. anyway went to a new Yuasa ytz7s and it already has a trickle pigtail so we will see how long this battery lasts...

Great bike so far... next is a piston change and valve check in jan or feb.. new battery did the trick..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 10-24-2010 at 10:50 PM
Old 11-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #34
MCrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Help backfiring on decel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 2005 CRF450X that seems to be in good shape. I havent had it that long but the few times that Ive been on it it seemed to run fine, pull hard and starts good. Its suppose to be all stock except the after market FMF exhaust. One thing I have noticed though is a backfire on decel especially when it gets warmed up or runs hotter in slow going terrain. Is this a normal thing for this bike or do I need to check out some mods to help correct this? Thanks for your help.
MCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #35
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

you can try adjusting the leak jet... or needle clip... maybe a little rich
Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #36
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,583
Dirtbike Magazine July 2009

Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #37
ADVBedouin
Rider

Oddometer: 396
Cool Gary Jones article & just picked up a totally stock '05 CRF450X w/ less than 4 orig. hours.

Just for folk's reference, mods to my X; ProCircuit T4 slip on, stock header, Twinair filter (no fire screen), no snorkel & 4"x5" area cut out of top of the airbox, 175 Main jet, stock needle in 4th clip position, stock pilot, fuel screw 2 turns out, air injection replaced w/ block off kit. Pink wire was removed -all recommendations by a local race-shop, Villa Racing.

It starts immediately w/ the button or first kick, idles off choke w/in 20-30 sec, runs strong, starts easily when hot too, but I've had 0 coolant loss, albeit riding only in cooler fall temps. The backfire on decel feels normal & not excessive, & sounds bitchin. I removed the white plastic snorkel in the gas tank filler neck (easy to pull out) & can get at least 2.6 gal in there now. I added an Acerbis plastic skid plate, Renthal 604 Fatbars w/ A/R Clamps, ForkSkins, STM fork bleeders, & Cycra handgaurds, (I'd prefer old-school Acerbis Rally Brush gaurds). I seem to get @ 36-38 mpg & I'll add a 14T c/s sprocket this week for pre-running the B1K.

And this X definitely feels quicker than my '07 525EXC which was jetted, but had no slip-on installed, only a modded stock pipe.

ADVBedouin screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 10:30 AM
ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #38
Michelangelo

Nice. That's a bit main too.

Utah, ain't no place like it. Everyone else: you can come visit but please don't move here!

Michelangelo screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 03:27 PM
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #39
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

ASI hoses and Radiators

Just got a set of ASI hoses and radidators.

They are similar to the Fluidine .. about a half inch thicker all aluminum with a billet mouth.. comes with a cap... they mounted up nicely... and probably wont bend on falls like the OEM.. the price is right as well!
look for em on ebay..
Old 11-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #40
Michelangelo

Very nice. I've got the same hoses on my newly acquired 450x. I also made contact with ASI and sent them over to copy my ATK 450XC (Cannondale) oem hoses, so I could get them in colors. Took them 2 months! Oh well, at least I and now everyone else with the old Cannondale engine can engine the nice colored hoses.

We need to keep this CRF450X thread going. I can't believe it's only 3 pages long.

This particular 450x I have I acquired from my brother. He lives down in southern AZ and just doesnt' ride it; so I told him I'd buy it from him if I could sell my manly XR650R (still for sale-
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=xr650r ) .

He brought the bike up to me in utah to make my in-garage total to be 7 bikes. And I've already set about working my magic on this 450x.

First order of business was to remove the ugly, dorky and redundant Baja Designs rear fender and LED. Took the whole thing off and wired up an oem looking DRC to the rear brake light switch. Did I mention this bike is plated with Baja Designs kit? I then mounted the rear plate underneath the rear fender, in the wheel well. PICS COMING.

Here are pics of my Brake Saver I just mounted up. I do alot of desert riding and racing and anything to protect the bike out in the middle of nowhere, the better. Not the BRP engine plugs, just added.

Yes, still need to cut the end of it off. I' waiting for the JB Weld to soldify. I smeared it into the wire so that when i cut it, it won't unravel it's self.

I've also removed the ugly and dumbo ear looking handguard deflectors and am replacing them with sleeker, more updated looking Zeta deflectors.

Also removed the 1 lb of heavy backfire screen when I cleaned the air filter.
Got a new set of gold Pro Taper CR HIGH bars on order, new plug to go with valve adjustments and oil filter magnet. Speaking of magnets. I pulled one out of the F2 and/or Zip Ty book and JB Welded a rare earth magnet into the very bottom of the float bowl cap to see how many small pieces of floating metal there are in the gas.

So once I get the bars changed out. I'm going to start working on making the front block of a headlight look more updated. My plan is to replace the front fender first with a 09/10 CRF fender and then find a way to replacd the Baja Designs headlight with an Acerbis unit. The key to that is really getting creative to remount all the turn signal relay and associated wiring. Stay tuned...

Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #41
gerald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Wink

@ Michelangelo
We need to keep this CRF450X thread going. I can't believe it's only 3 pages long.

hy.

i hope we can keep it up and for this i will join in.
here are some first pics from my bike.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=39

and some more
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=43

more pics comes soon.

greets gerald.
gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #42
hoss314
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Nice looking bike!

Check out this new website dualsportmoto.com
geared more toward those of us with "smaller" dualsport bikes with a really bitchin GPS mapping tool.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #43
gerald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
hy.
some pics from my last ride and today.
the first 6 pics are cutted out from a video.

greets gerald.
gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #44
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,543
hey folks,, whats the word on upgrading to a larger front disc?
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #45
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,577
Brake Rotor

These guys have the brake rotor BLING:

http://www.crfstuff.com/brake450r.html

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote