User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 922
r1150r?

I'm thinking of looking at an r1150r rockster this week.

Started having doubts after seeing the top post here.

Was expecting similar power/weight to my ex650. Was just looking up r1150 specs online. r1150rs, 95hp, 12.2sec drag time, and r1150r, 76hp, 13.35sec drag time. I don't mind giving up a little performance, but that second time is substantially slower than they list for my XJ600, and I have a feeling I'd regret it. Does the 1150 R really have 19 fewer hp than the 1150 RS?

Also I'm concerned about handlebar vibration. Some claim the boxers are smooth, some say vibey. What do you think? Is it about how well they're tuned up, and how well the TBs are sync'd? Or is it an inherent thing?

I don't want to waste my time and the sellers if this isn't the bike for me.

If it has more comfort, and better suspension than the EX650, great. But I don't want more vibration or poor acceleration.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
I am anxious to see the responses to this thread since I am looking at the R1100/1150R bikes as well.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,421
R1150R http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...BMW-R1150R.htm

Quote:
Engine Type: 1130 cc, 4 Stroke - Liquid Cooled - Boxer Twin
Engine Bore and Stroke: 101 mm x 70.5 mm
Compression Ratio: 10.3:1
Valves sohc, 4 valves/cylinder
Carburetion: Electronic intake pipe injection
Ignition System: digital engine management: Bosch Motronic MA 2.4 with overrun fuel cut-off, twin spark Ignition System:
Claimed : 85 hp (63.4 kW) @ 6750 rpm
Maximum Torque: 98 Nm (72.3 ft. lbs) @ 5250 rpm [/color]
Clutch System: Single-disc dry Clutch System: , hydraulically operated
Transmission type: 6 speed
Final Drive: Shaft
Starting: Electronic
R1150RS

Quote:
Download

Start of Production
Click to View
End of Production
N/A
Numbers Produced
N/A
Price (2003) UK
US $
Engine

Motor Type
Four-stroke, two cylinder, horizontally opposed "Boxer" engine, air cooled
Bore x Stroke
101 x 70.5 mm (3.97 x 2.77 in)
Displacement
1130 cc
Max Power
95 hp (70 KW) at 7,250 rpm
Max Torque
100 Nm / 73 ft lb at 5,500 rpm
Compression Ratio
11.3 : 1
Valves Per Cylinder
Valve Control
hc, using chain drive, cup tappets, push rod and rocker arm
Mixture Control / Engine Management
Electronic intake pipe injection/digital engine management: Bosch Motronic MA 2.4 with overrun fuel cut off, twin spark ignition (December 2002 on)
Emission Control
Closed loop 3 way catalytic converter
Engine Lubricating System
Wet sump

Power Transmission

Clutch
Single disc dry clutch, hydraulically operated
Gearbox
Constant mesh 6 speed gearbox
Gearbox Ratios
2.050 / 1.600 / 1.270 / 1.040 / 0.900 / 0.700
Rear Wheel Ratio
Drive
Shaft Drive
Now look at the weight differences:

R1150R 480.6 pounds dry

R1150RS493 lb dry

Basically you trade one thing for another, but the power on the R1150R is more than you originally figured. You have to ride the bikes to get a feel, pure 1/4 mile numbers are meaningless.

Jim

JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
MRHAPPY
GSIN

Oddometer: 1,116
i agree with jim, after a long time rider of boxers, mainly the gs, you have to ride it to see for yourself. i no longer have a boxer in my garage(for now) and i miss it dearly, mind you my new ride has 150+ hp and a 185+ top speed, i do not use all that nonsense, you get on a boxer, and you either love it or not,, i do not think there is much middle ground(imo). you need to ride one for a day if possible, you may forget all those numbers you've been crunching.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Ride Her

I agree with the guys as well. You need to spend some time on the bike and don't worry about what some other guy said about a GS. Some folks love the boxers, some hate 'em. Personally, I love them. I had a 2004 R1150R and I thought it was a superb bike. I would still have it if it weren't for this disease that I have (every 2-3 years I get the itch for a new bike).

That Rockster is heavy, but the weight is well balanced and down low. Some quirks to be aware of (hopefully you grow to love them): a nice torque to the left when you twist the throttle at a standstill, interesting front suspension (though really good if you ask me), Servo assistaed brakes, and a slightly clunky gearbox.

Under way though, very smooth and can cruise all day in pretty good comfort. She can tour, commute, hit the twisties, and even hold her own on the track.

I hope you get a chance for a test ride. You should get a pretty good feel for the Rockster very quickly. Good luck with the search.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
crackerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
I bought one as a reentry bike back in 2002 after being out of riding for a few years. I really was drawn to an S4 Monster, but there wasn't good Ducati dealer support in the area at the time and I thought the BMW was a more sensible choice. All the reviews I had read were glowing...

It was a nice, I just found after about 6 months I was bored with it. I just don't think I am a boxer guy, you either are or you aren't imo. I also ride with guys who ride sportier type bikes which probably had something to do with it. Not that it wasn't capable of keeping up, it was, it just didn't do it for me

I ended up trading it in on an Aprilia Falco after less than a year, still have the Falco and am riding it on my annual spring trip next week. So I guess test ride one first if you can.
crackerguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Randy
That ferro gray 1150 pictured was the best looking one they made..
So true, That bike was gorgeous. I never like the looks of the others with the silver engine. To each his/her own, but I'd take Ferro every time.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Kradmelder
Banned

Oddometer: 423
The R1150R and Rockster are great bikes.Fun to ride and practical.
They are smooth,too.The higher compression R1150RS,RT and R1100S have some vibrations that can get annoying at certain rpm that the lower compression R1150R/GS don't have.
Having that said the R1200R is awesome.Another 25hp and 40lbs lighter.
A true sleeper and total hoot to ride.But some people still like the looks and more solid feel of the R1150R better.The rear seat is more comfortable,too unless you buy the BMW comfort seat for the R1200R.
Great bikes,both.A good compromise between utility and sportiness that so many other bikes are lacking today.Either a uselees toy or a boring touring bike.The Roadster is neither but fun to ride in the twisties and practical/useful enough for commuting and touring.
Kradmelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Red Roadster
Roaming Redneck

Oddometer: 260
Put 36,000 on my 03. Like others have said, ride it and see what you think. I could surprise quite a few unsuspecting folks in the twisties with the R. It could also tour, or commute, or anything you could ask of a bike. If KTM hadn't let me test ride that 950 SM>............................

Anyway, I kinda know where my old R is. If I can get ahold of the guy I would buy it back.
Steve
Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #10
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Hp vs Hp

What do you want to do with this bike?

Save Gas?
Go tunnel vision?
Enjoy the Scenery?
Monkey around?
Do everything?

Honda CH150 Elite 80MPG
MV Agusta F4-1000 190Mph
R 1150 Rockster Twisties anyone
Yamaha XJ750R Speeding tickets easily
K75S Camel riding
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 922
finally rode it

My overall impression was favorable.

Looked good, sounded great, and was fun to ride.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
ColinDoyle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
So.... didja buy it?

I bought mine in late April and put about 2500 miles on it so far. It's a comfortable, powerful enough bike that handles and brakes pretty well. Despite BMW's attempt to spruce it up with wild styling and colors, the bike does seem boring at times. It's just that it does everything in a dull-but-competent German kind of way, so its positive attributes tend to go unnoticed. I'd be having more fun on a Ducati, Triumph, or a fucking Kawasaki, but I'd probably be pissed off at my bike more often, too. With an exciting machine, the highs are higher and the lows are lower. The BMW is like a level-headed, loving, responsible husband whose wife goes out and bangs bad boys on the side because he doesn't bring the drama she craves. It may scare off potential buyers by being too well-rounded.

I think I'll hang onto mine for another 50,000 miles before I make a final decision on keeping it.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
BlueBlazerIrregular
Bike Punk

Oddometer: 103
Personally, it was all about looks at first, then after putting 36k on her, she's my favorite long distance/camping/curb jumping/do-it-all AND look great while doing it bike.

IMG_8051
Old 05-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Definatly ride it. The boxxer as noted by others isnt for everyone. I have a love/hate relationship with the boxxer. I love the results of handling they produce. But as far as motor goes and power delivery I have never really been happy. They are better once you learn how to ride that motor. They need to be revved. You cant think your hurting it, 5-6k rpms and its butter smooth and alot of fun. But they dont do well in the lowere RPM range which can make slow speeds not so much desired with alot of clutch work. That being said, I have owned sever and every itteration, 1100, 1150, 1150 dual spark and 1200. The 1200 in the RT is the best combination to me. For some reason the 1200 in the GS felt awkward. If you can afford a 1200, you wont regret it. Alot of the irritating aspects of the 1150 fixed. Personally I prefer the BMW for their 4 cylinder bricks but then it does the opposite for the handling and it becomes very heavy and not very flickable. The best set up by BMW has to be the newer 4 cylinder like on the K1200S bu that hosts a whole new batch of issues.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
ColinDoyle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlazerIrregular
Hey, that looks familiar!

Are those GS hand guards?

Might as well pile on with the pic whoring. Here's mine with a Bagster:

(I love the oil cooler ducts on these things - they remind me of a fighter jet.)