User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
RottVet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Talking Uralitis to Uralist in 120 days

Much time and effort has been spent searching for the perfect motocycle. My quest evolved into the purchase of a BMW R1200GS last fall. After much farkling, fun and 8,000 miles, there was still a void- something was missing!. After the searching of the soul and contemplation and the occurance of a real winter of ice and snow, I realized that, as good as the GS was, snow and ice are not its' forte. There was also the issue of man's best friend. I have two favorite companions, both of which have difficulty riding with me on the GS. After reading another eloquent inmates' quote, "a sidecar without a dog is just another sidecar", I knew what had to be done. I also knew that now I had the not-so-dreaded disease of Uralitis! However, this condition was like an itch that could not be scratched. There were no dealers in my area, and one of the caveats that seem to permeate this forum is that a good dealer is a must! I continued reading this forum. Tales of the intrepid Mr Cob, the dry humor of the Red Menace, and the general enthusiasm of Windmill, GaelicDog, Snoozerat and others just made the condtion worse. I even read the other forums, Soviet Steeds and Russian Iron, with no relief in sight. After two months of suffering, my best friend called. A new Ural dealer was coming to his town. This wasn't just any town. A very small town in Eastern Oklahoma, about as far from Irbit as they come. Thinking he was being mean and playing a sick joke, I called him everything but a liar. He was not. A week later I was looking at a new, shining white, beautiful Patrol. As enamoured as I was, my heart was set on a camo Gear Up. Could one be had? The answer was affirmative. I went home and read the Yellow Book three times. Time passed. Copied "The Unoffical Ural Manual" and studied it like a schoolboy. More time passed. On a trip to Florida, I stopped by the Holy Grail of Uraldom (IMHO) at Holopaw and got to meet and talk with the very gracious Gene. He gave my kids soft drinks, showed me his extensive examples of Urals, patiently answered my ignorant questions, and even show me how to properly mount a Ural rig- from the left side and throw the leg over, just like a horse! The fever was almost out of control. Anxiety and doubt set in. Blogs on the forums of final drive failures and then rocker arm breakage. Wasn't sure if these outfits were for me. After about almost 2 months, my friend called with the news- the camo Gear Up was in! Anxiety and doubts disapeared, the fever broke, and with trailer in tow, I was at the dealership the next afternoon. After some discussion and paperwork, I was on the way home with my new Gear Up. It seems that nothing is easy with a Ural, and that breakdowns are common, and I guess this includes the ancillary support vehicles. After a flat tire, locked up trailer brakes,and the loss of trailer lighting, the rig was home, safely in the shed, by midnight. I was tired, but estatic!
RottVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
You are gonna love it!!! Congratulations!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
RottVet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Uralitis to Uralist in 120 days

We are trying to download some pics. Sorry about the inconvenience. I am an older, computer ignorant guy. Please stand by.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
desmodromico916
n00b

Oddometer: 9
A Story With A Happy Ending

Nothing like a well told tale with a happy ending :-) Congratulations!
Last night I gave a friend and fellow rider his first taste of the Ural experience, and today at work I believe I saw the early signs of Uralitis.

John
'08 Patrol
'06 FJR1300A
desmodromico916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottVet
horse! It seems that nothing is easy with a Ural, and that breakdowns are common, and I guess this includes the ancillary support vehicles. After a flat tire, locked up trailer brakes,and the loss of trailer lighting, the rig was home, safely in the shed, by midnight. I was tired, but estatic!
This is simply the Ural's way of telling you it likes to be ridden, not trailered.
A delicate thing it is not. Ride it hard, often, and it will serve you well. 'Congrats and welcome to the foil-head brotherhood. You don't have to be a little crazy but it does help.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Congraulations!!!! You will love the Gear Up. I'm on my 2nd one. I had a 2005 Patrol. Sold that one recently and just got my 2010 Gear up. Great bike. Loads of fun. Great family of Russian motorcycle owners out there in the great wide world. Make sure you check out Billy G's web site: myural.com a good place for maintenance and repair tips. Enjoy!!!!
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
new Ural

Your dog (and any kids or grandkids) will thank you!

4 years with mine, bought the same year as a brand new ST1300A, and although I dearly love the Honda for its ability to eat miles at speed, the truth is the Ural gets used more...........

Enjoy!!!!

Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
RottVet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh Thanks

Thank you for all for the advice, kind words, and the cool pic of the hack and dog! Am in transit back home to Oklahoma. Hoping that I can get the computer there to cooperate and submit some pictures to this thread in a few days. The ural community is special-lots of good folks with common sense and down-home wisdom and humor!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
IsAnOzzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Much time and effort has been spent searching for the perfect motocycle

Ha first time I've ever heard a Ural in the same sentance as that!!!

I have an 08 gear up and love it.

enjoy.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #10
JCA1981
Where are the woods?

Oddometer: 43
Great story. Post a pic with your dogs also enjoying the Ural when you get a chance.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
redflasher
Baltika Lover

Oddometer: 148
quote>It seems that nothing is easy with a Ural, and that breakdowns are common
I'll have to disagree with that statement. I'm into my 4th riding season with my 2006 GearUp and so far, I have had to replace the pusher, spotlight bulb and the rear brakelight switch. And I don't baby it either. Keep up on your maintenance and you'll be just fine.
redflasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
aholecop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thumb

agreed i have a running light problem from time to time on my 2007 artic . but it runs great use it all the time..
aholecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
JCA1981
Where are the woods?

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
I'll have to disagree with that statement. I'm into my 4th riding season with my 2006 GearUp and so far, I have had to replace the pusher, spotlight bulb and the rear brakelight switch. And I don't baby it either. Keep up on your maintenance and you'll be just fine.
Totally agree. Preventative maintainence goes a long way. What was that Ben Franklin quote... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or something like that. Despite being updated with some modern ammenities, mechanically the Ural is still old technology and just like a car or any other machine designed before the age of computers and the engineering of superfine tolerances, preventative maintainence is a must. 10400 kicks on mine and regular inspection aside to make sure I don't run into any unforeseen problems, all I did was replace the pusher, change the fluids a bunch, and make adjustments here and there to the brakes & carbs.
Heck, my Ural is more reliable than the ambulance I drive in The Bronx.