Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #16
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,460
"How lucky are they?"

Very lucky.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
On the way home I did some errands and had in it the kids clothes, two kids helmets, my briefcase, ammo can of tools, 2 moto tires, 2 moto tubes, new front fender, 2 forty pound bags of dog food, a bag of grass seed, three bottles of weed killer, a bottle of really good Scotch, and a bag of crap from Home Depot. I love this thing. I kick myself for not having one sooner.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #18
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph
Hey Red! Did you notice the welds?

Sometimes you are just mean!
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #19
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Sometimes you are just mean!

I figure, if they break, they break. We'll make more. Right Vernon?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #20
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxertwin
I figure, if they break, they break. We'll make more. Right Vernon?
yep. you do know he was making fun of my welds, not yours?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #21
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

If he's messin' with you, he's messin' with 'family'.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #22
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,460
Morning fellas!

My welds make Vernon's look good.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #23
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph
Morning fellas!

My welds make Vernon's look good.
Now you are scaring me!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #24
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Now you are scaring me!

I learned the key to good welds is lots of primer and a fuzzy photograph!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #25
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Great project! How does it handle on the street?

Thats an impressive rig, Its hard to believe thats your first build. I really want to build my own, I was thinking about the DMC Enduro but would like a little more protection for the passenger. Your design makes me consider using an old dirt bike for a donor as an option. Old blown up bikes can be had pretty cheap around here.
MightyChosen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #26
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
head shake solution

Don't let go of the bars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxertwin
Thanks for your kind words, Furious.

It actually handles much better than I expected. It does really well and is quick and predictable. I've had it up to about 55-60 on the highway and it was fine.

I should also say that it's not only my first build but it's the first hack I've ridden/driven. As I get more time on it and become more comfortable with it I am beginning to notice some issues that I'm sure the experts here can help me with. I don' thtink these are design issues but rather subtle setup adjustments.

Headshake at very low speeds if I roll off the throttle and let go of the bars.
Possible causes: setup adjustment? lack of leading link fork? overloaded suspension

But
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #27
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D
Great project! How does it handle on the street?

Thats an impressive rig, Its hard to believe thats your first build. I really want to build my own, I was thinking about the DMC Enduro but would like a little more protection for the passenger. Your design makes me consider using an old dirt bike for a donor as an option. Old blown up bikes can be had pretty cheap around here.
Thanks for your kind words, Furious.

It actually handles much better than I expected. It does really well and is quick and predictable. I've had it up to about 55-60 on the highway and it was fine.

I should also say that it's not only my first build but it's the first hack I've ridden/driven. As I get more time on it and become more comfortable with it I am beginning to notice some issues that I'm sure the experts here can help me with. I don' think these are design issues but rather subtle setup adjustments. I've not mentioned them to date because I wanted to take care of some obvious upgrades first like replacing the ancient, out of round, hard as a rock, full knobby tire on the hack rim.

I get headshake at very low speeds if I roll off the throttle instantly and let go of the bars. It takes just light hands on the bars to prevent the headshake. Note, I also get this headshake when jumping the rig upon landing. Disclaimer; I'm not talking big jump but rather just airing off of rises in the road.

Possible causes:
setup adjustment?
lack of leading link fork?
lack of steering stabilizer?
Loose steering head bearings? I need to check that adjustment.
Overloaded suspension? The suspension was perfect before adding all the extra weight of the hack and subframe. I always thought I would have to respring it when it was finished.

Also, as predicted, there is quite a bit of port - starboard 'roll' through turns. I plan to build an anti-sway bar that will connect the two swingarms together. It will need to be made so they can be disconnected for the rough terrain but should help the rig to ride flat on the gravel and pavement. I might even push the hack wheel forward a bit. I'll need to get some more counsel before I go this route.

boxertwin screwed with this post 04-22-2010 at 10:53 AM
Old 04-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #28
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Don't let go of the bars!

Now why didn't I think of that? Heck of a lot simpler than building my way out of the problem. The whole problem is between the saddle and the bars!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #29
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,414
BOXERTWIN WROTE:
>>Also, as predicted, there is quite a bit of port - starboard 'roll' through turns. I plan to build an anti-sway bar that will connect the two swingarms together. It will need to be made so they can be disconnected for the rough terrain but should help the rig to ride flat on the gravel and pavement. I might even push the hack wheel forward a bit. I'll need to get some more counsel before I go this route.<<
If done well the swaybar alone will be an amazing improvement!! More wheel lead can also be a big plus in turns into the sidecar.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #30
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
BOXERTWIN WROTE:
>>Also, as predicted, there is quite a bit of port - starboard 'roll' through turns. I plan to build an anti-sway bar that will connect the two swingarms together. It will need to be made so they can be disconnected for the rough terrain but should help the rig to ride flat on the gravel and pavement. I might even push the hack wheel forward a bit. I'll need to get some more counsel before I go this route.<<
If done well the swaybar alone will be an amazing improvement!! More wheel lead can also be a big plus in turns into the sidecar.

Thanks Claude. I gained close to an inch of wheel lead this evening after installing a fresh tire. I pushed the wheel all the way forward in the swing arm. I've not yet ridden it but I look forward to seeing how it does. That should give me about 13" of wheel lead now.

Have a good evening.