ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #31
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 1,021
Hardware has been swapped out for high quality stuff.
Yellow super moto fender is on bike. Stock yellow fender on hack. That green fender was just wrong.
Tomorrow I meet a buddy to go for rides in the gunner position to work out the dirty airflow problem with cardboard and duct tape.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:04 AM   #32
claude
Sidecar Jockey
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Middleburg, Pa. (Snyder County)
Oddometer: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxertwin
Thanks Claude. I gained close to an inch of wheel lead this evening after installing a fresh tire. I pushed the wheel all the way forward in the swing arm. I've not yet ridden it but I look forward to seeing how it does. That should give me about 13" of wheel lead now.

Have a good evening.
If you add a swaybar you may be able to decrease wheel lead some. Maybe not.
I am glad to see you are willing to experiment. In doing so you will learn a lot about what does what on 'your' outfit.
One thing I saw was that if you were to make the bell crank for the sidecar shock adjustor short on the adjustor end and long on the shock end it would allow for adjustments without turning the adjustor nearly as much. No biggie just food for thought
__________________
Claude

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #33
kamakaziozzy
3rd Wheel Adventurer
 
kamakaziozzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Bloomington Indiana
Oddometer: 505
Thumb

very cool!!! alot like my brother and I grew up in a hack. only we were on pavement across the country. in the dirt as kids would've been lots of fun! I still love to play in the dirt.
it's all about the fun with the kids. enjoy them!
kamakaziozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #34
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
If you add a swaybar you may be able to decrease wheel lead some. Maybe not.
I am glad to see you are willing to experiment. In doing so you will learn a lot about what does what on 'your' outfit.
One thing I saw was that if you were to make the bell crank for the sidecar shock adjustor short on the adjustor end and long on the shock end it would allow for adjustments without turning the adjustor nearly as much. No biggie just food for thought
Hi Gang,

Claude, I concur on the bell crank lengths. In fact, I think you told me that when we spoke several months ago...and I know Stephen told me that when he saw my wooden mock-up. My difficulty was in that I wasn't sure how much how much adjustment I would need so I thought the key was to make the 'turn buckle' tall enough to hold a lot of thread. Of course now I see that I could have gotten more movement with less thread with your suggestion above. I also think I could shrink the hardware down next time. I don't think the bell crank adjustment requires such large diameter all thread. I could also probably source the parts from somewhere like McMaster and it would be more tidy and smaller.
Thanks again for all your help!
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #35
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakaziozzy
very cool!!! alot like my brother and I grew up in a hack. only we were on pavement across the country. in the dirt as kids would've been lots of fun! I still love to play in the dirt.
it's all about the fun with the kids. enjoy them!
Thanks Kamakaziozzy,

Me and the boys are having a great time with this machine. They make me drive it whenever possible, especially to and from school.
One think that I didn't expect is we can hardly go down the street without people honking the horn, waving, and snapping photos.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #36
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 1,021
An update on minor mods:

I suspected this wrap of plastic around the left side of the front seat might cause a wind blast into the face of the rear kid. Indeed it did cause a problem and the kids were complaining a lot. I first tried to remedy the problem by switching out their sun glasses for goggles. It helped but not enough. Last Friday a pal and I took turns riding in back to experience the issue ourselves.


The fix was to disconnect it from the rear of the seat and funnel the air into the channel by the bike:



Race tape is beautiful stuff.

I also added another windshield behind the front seat. This really settles the air for the kid in the back.

While riding in the back position we also realized how loud that Yosh exhaust is! Wow. This little guy helped quiet things down a lot.

boxertwin screwed with this post 05-06-2010 at 08:25 PM
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #37
angysdad
2 kids = 1 sidecar
 
angysdad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Canada
Oddometer: 24
Motoriley...I don't want to ruin your fun, but actual DOT helmets are required for all passengers in QC. If taking just short rides, avoid the police. S M and L 'junior' helmets are available for cheap and keeps the police (and my wife) happy. In the pix the kids are 4+5. They were both wearing DOT helmets at 3yrs.
Photobucket
__________________
Big D
'85 K100/EML
'Better to be lost in your passion than to lose your passion.'
angysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #38
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,659
Helmets

The ride was a first gear piddle around the block. Will be getting a real helmet when I think they are old enough for real riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angysdad
Motoriley...I don't want to ruin your fun, but actual DOT helmets are required for all passengers in QC. If taking just short rides, avoid the police. S M and L 'junior' helmets are available for cheap and keeps the police (and my wife) happy. In the pix the kids are 4+5. They were both wearing DOT helmets at 3yrs.
Photobucket
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #39
angysdad
2 kids = 1 sidecar
 
angysdad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Canada
Oddometer: 24
Hope to meet up with others hackers this summer...will be going to USCA rally in VT and 'Sidecars in the Park' in Trenton, On.
speed safely
__________________
Big D
'85 K100/EML
'Better to be lost in your passion than to lose your passion.'
angysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #40
Shmerel
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Where my soul takes me
Oddometer: 11,152
the things that a grandpa will do for the grindkids!! brilliant. enjoy.
gad.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #41
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 1,021
Thanks Gad. My twins love their hack.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #42
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas
 
TouringDave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Frankston, Vic, Aust.
Oddometer: 6,964
Boxer, fantastic effort, well done! What a dad!!!

T1 and T2 look like they are having ball in the pics
__________________
K7 Strom with Chair
84 Kwaka GT750 Cafe Project
84 Kawaka GT750 Outfit Project
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #43
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay
 
tripodtiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: you dont call wagga wagga wagga
Oddometer: 4,639
Your kids are going to love their time with Dad.

One problem. Your missus will get jealous.

You'll have to build another sidecar for her.

Oh, that's not a problem.

Love the videos. Smiles all around.

as per video, it's very soft - but that may be a good thing depending on where you ride it. Help you to keep the speed down on the road - well, it would me, you've probably got more skill than I have.

Another question - why did you have to build the sliders on the sub-frame? Isn't there fore - aft movement at the sidecar axle, using the chain adjusters?


I'd love to see more video when you've got a sway bar installed.
And more of 'The Things' enjoying themselves. I couldn't stop smiling when I watched that. Made me recall when my boys were young and wandering around the countryside in the outfit - or being dropped off / picked up at school. Their 'cred' sky rockets, which is generally good for them too.
__________________
rayb Crash Dummy (no testing involved)
Australian RD/RZ Owners Register

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #44
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 1,021
Hi Friends.

Ray, you are absolutely correct. One week after the hack was completed, Boxerwife announced that she was jealous and wanted to come with us. She enrolled in the motorcycle safety class, loved it, and I bought her a DR200 Suzuki for her birthday. She now rides with us. For the last 12 years she wouldn't ride and I never pressured her. This made her want to ride.

In the fall I will begin the next hack build. You are right again, sir!
I've not yet selected the tug but am considering either a Tiger or a KTM 950/990. I plan to again build a roll caged rig. This time the boys will sit side-by-side with room for camping gear, fuel, battery, in front and behind the seat.
Ray, I'm watching your build closely. Hurry the heck up, will ya!

The pics and videos in this thread were from when the hack was new and on the road. I've changed out all the suspension springs and it is much more worthy now. It still could use a sway bar and I am yet to build that. But the rig works really well as it is now.

I built the sliders because I couldn't make up my mind the exact wheel lead that was necessary. Claude offered up the suggestion and I thought it was a really good idea. I've not had to move the sliders as I think I hit the lead just right the first time at around 13". The sliders were just tacked in place with the intention of fully welding them once I determined the proper placement. In retrospect the sliders were extra work, slightly extra weight, unnecessary, but would have saved a ton of work if I had needed to change the wheel lead. And yes, you are correct that I do have perhaps an inch of wheel lead adjustment in the chain adjuster on the hack wheel/swingarm. But i feared that it might not be enough.

The rig is a total hit with the boys. We are in the mountains on holiday for the week and this evening the boys announced that we will be taking a long ride up to the fire lookout on the mountain across the lake from us. It's about a 2-3 hour round trip.

I will plan to get some fresh video for you once I complete the swaybar.

I've acquired a tubing bender and vertical mill to help with the next little project. I need to find a tug so I can sleep at night! Aw, sleep hell. I suppose I'll sleep when the next hack is complete.

Here's a pics of the new toy builder:








Quote:
Originally Posted by SCray
Your kids are going to love their time with Dad.

One problem. Your missus will get jealous.

You'll have to build another sidecar for her.

Oh, that's not a problem.

Love the videos. Smiles all around.

as per video, it's very soft - but that may be a good thing depending on where you ride it. Help you to keep the speed down on the road - well, it would me, you've probably got more skill than I have.

Another question - why did you have to build the sliders on the sub-frame? Isn't there fore - aft movement at the sidecar axle, using the chain adjusters?


I'd love to see more video when you've got a sway bar installed.
And more of 'The Things' enjoying themselves. I couldn't stop smiling when I watched that. Made me recall when my boys were young and wandering around the countryside in the outfit - or being dropped off / picked up at school. Their 'cred' sky rockets, which is generally good for them too.

boxertwin screwed with this post 07-21-2010 at 12:57 AM
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #45
boxertwin OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDave
Boxer, fantastic effort, well done! What a dad!!!

T1 and T2 look like they are having ball in the pics
Thanks for the kind words Dave!

Andrew
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014