Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #211
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Bonnie doesn't really ever fold them in, and her's don't seem to move.
I think in all cases the accidently folding of the mirrors is a function of a lot of different variables - how hard the rider is riding, how fluid of a rider they are, how stiff or soft the suspension on the bike is, which bike it is, the ambient temperature(how soft the plastic mirror-ball is), and last but definitely not least the type of terrian that is being ridden. Rocky cobble and rubble is alot more likely to disturb the mirrors no matter who, how and where is riding as opposed to soft sand roads, for example.

And yes, electrical tap eon the balls works very well for the people I've heard form that tried it.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #212
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,643
Agreed.

I completely understand them moving when riding my 950SE through whoops or fast rocky stuff or even long sections of washboard at speed.

However, my mirrors also move at 50-60mph on smooth fire roads and 80-90mph paved roads. Movement in these riding conditions does not seem right.

Interestingly, I turned the arms around (so the spring is on the mirror side) and they seem to hold better. If needed I will also add the electrical tape.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #213
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,957
Question a little help needed getting the mirrors to fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
There is, but it's 8mm, for bar clamp bolts.

We considered using that, but it requires stocking another part. So, what is in the works is a 10mm x 1.5 pitch adapter that threads onto the 10mm x 1.25 pitch ball we already stock. This will work for a variety of F800 and R1200 models, the rest will have to use the offset plate. We'll tune up the website on how it helps people select different options as well.

If anyone has a handle on a better plan, I'm all ears! It's been hard to track down reliable information on BMW thread pitch for different models, and our local dealer hasn't been much help.

i ordered a set of mirrors a while back, and was finally able to try to install them today... which didn't go so well. i've got a 2001 F650GS, so i ordered the "BMWP BMW Plate Assembly (2) ", which unfortunately doesn't fit. the offset plate's bolt that's supposed to go into the original mirror hole is the wrong size altogether (it appears to be too wide?).

it appears that i've got to source a bolt that will fit into the mirror stalk - anyone know what size i'm looking for? what size was the bolt that was sent with the offset adaptor? from any documentation i can fine it appears i'm looking for a 10mm bolt, but no idea on the correct pitch.

EDIT: (i'm still the last post, so no reason to quote myself)...

so i took a trip to the hardware store (lowes), without anything with me, other than the idea of needing a "10mm" hex bolt. i surfed the aisle for about 20 min, finding not much in the way of metric, until finally finding a few drawers that seemed like what i wanted, but alas... nothing with a 1.75 pitch (which is what is suggested elsewhere in this thread). i grabbed what looked like the right size, and headed home... determined to try it, and come back with my mirror stem to compare with.

i got home, to find out that my shot-in-the-dark bolt was exactly what i wanted, fits perfectly, almost exactly the same length as the stock mirror's stem. score!

the package reads:
Code:
HILLMAN  M8-1.25 x 16 Socket Hd Cap  Screw.
to work with the offset plate properly, it'll need a washer (the bolt head is just barely bigger than the hole in the offset plate), which i'll pick up tomorrow. i'll post photos when i'm done.

(it also turns out to be almost the exact bolt i need for my pannier racks, but a tiny bit too short... but that's another story.)

kaia screwed with this post 08-17-2010 at 01:07 AM
kaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 AM   #214
Leipo
'08 wr250r

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
They shipped out today via USPS priority mail, typically international shipments are estimated at 5-10 business days
They're probably holding them at the customs......
I want my mirrors
Leipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #215
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,853
The 10mm x 1.5 pitch adapters are here, but are not on the website yet. The guy who built the website is currently doing some serious durabilty testing in the Sertoes Rally... the Double Take mirror is one stage away from being FIM Rally approved!

Anyway, if you need adapters for most late model BMW's, you can shoot us an email and we'll get them to you.

In the meantime, Go GSNorcal!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #216
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #217
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
I posted pics, in this thread, when I bought a pair of these back in May. I've been using this setup on my WR250R dual sport and my wife's WR as well (I swap them back and forth from bike to bike or use one each when we are both riding). I like the 3" arms the best because it gets the mirrors out far enough that I see more than my arms and shoulders when I look in them and I don't have to pull in my arms to see behind me. I tend to leave them deployed, even when riding the gnar, since they just fold in when I go down. The reflector hasn't broken yet and I like being able to glance and ensure the riders are still behind me without having to turn my entire head around (eyes off the trail for too long).

After using them all summer, I like them better than any other mirrors I've tried, so I just ordered another one so we'll have a total of 3 of them to swap around between the different bikes and an ATV.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:45 AM   #218
Leipo
'08 wr250r

Oddometer: 230
they tried to deliver them yesterday, but I wasn't there. They left a message that they want €25 importduties

but I can't wait to get them
Leipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:08 AM   #219
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,476
Has anyone tried one of these on an ATV yet?

I have a Suzuki King Quad and thought it would be handy to have, keep track of whom is behind me on group rides, and to be able to pop the mirror off to be tamper proof sometimes....

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #220
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday
Not to my knowledge, but I've been noticing how many quads do have mirrors, and thinking these would be perfect for that application.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #221
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday

I have a Suzuki King Quad and thought it would be handy to have, keep track of whom is behind me on group rides, and to be able to pop the mirror off to be tamper proof sometimes....
Actually, yes, my neighbor has it on his Polaris (I think that's what it is anyway) and he loves it.

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw

Wings screwed with this post 08-26-2010 at 11:27 AM
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #222
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,712
hooray for quads with rearview mirrors!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #223
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Not to my knowledge, but I've been noticing how many quads do have mirrors, and thinking these would be perfect for that application.
Here's a new aplication for you Ned, I put mine in the buggy.
Its nice to have when going down the trail to make sure someone is behind me and I fold it out of the way when I don't need it in places like this. My buddies like it but most already have something.

dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #224
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
hooray for quads with rearview mirrors!
No kidding, this guy has some trail manners for sure. He was so concerned about getting out of peoples way and also keeping track of folks he went riding with....it only makes sense to have a mirror on there.

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #225
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,798
Sorry it's taken me so long to post up some feedback on the Double Take but I'm addicted to this 950 -

Been riding the piss out of the thing, over 3500 miles of mixed dirt/off-road/pavement since I got it. Your mirror has been on there the whole time as the bike came with nothing.

Rode to Montana for WestFest and hit 110mph or better (little nervous about looking down at the instruments) many times and the mirror stayed put. Very nice to be able to tuck it away on the tight stuff. Well done sir!

McGruder Corridor in Idaho.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote