User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #241
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,646
Hippo Hands

Another advantage of the mirrors is that you can change their angle any which way you like which makes fitting Hippo Hands easier.

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #242
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday
Has anyone tried one of these on an ATV yet?

I have a Suzuki King Quad and thought it would be handy to have, keep track of whom is behind me on group rides, and to be able to pop the mirror off to be tamper proof sometimes....
I have been using one of these on my ATV all summer. I have a total of three mirrors and three 3" RAM arms and then have a total of 5 the RAM ball mounts for mirrors (on both of our dual sport bikes plus one on the left front rack of my ATV). Also have ball mounts and arms for GPS (I'm a big fan of RAM mounts). I easily move the three mirrors around between all three. Here I posted pics, in this thread, of them on one of the bikes: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=58

For bikes and ATV, I recommend the 3" RAM arms over the 2" arms and make sure you get the aluminum arms and not the cheaper plastic ones (if they are even making those anymore). The 3" arms get the mirrors further out so you can see past your arms and shoulders better. If you don't want them to stick out so far, you can position the arm to go straighter up and then just the mirror angle out. With the 2", if they are not long enough, you are out of luck. It's just a matter of having more adjustability/options with the 3".

It's negative 1 degree F. here right now and snowing and blowing, but I guess I can head out to the detached garage to snap a picture of the ATV setup. If you don't hear from me in 15 minutes, send the search and rescue dogs...

OK, I survived. I didn't back the ATV out (see prior comment on current weather), but here are a couple shots so you can see the Double Take Mirror mounted on the front rack. This works great and, on the ATV, I like it better than the bar mounted mirror. Plus, with the winch controls, etc. bar real estate was at a premium. I was surprised to find out I preferred the mirror on the front rack. It's give a great perspective, though not as wide of a view as if one were looking at the reflection from a closer position.

Chadx screwed with this post 11-21-2010 at 10:20 PM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #243
Chadx
Off the road again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprocketTX
Awsome mirror (we carry them), exactly what I've wanted for years, and Ned's a good guy too.
SprocketTX,
It's great to see them for sale in more places and the word getting out.

I agree. These solved my dual sport mirror issues for good.

By the way, I looked at your ad and you may want to explicitly say that the RAM arm and ball (shown in the picture) are not included. The ad does say that this setup mounts using standard RAM mount hardware, but it does not go on to say that those items are not included. Someone might order the $25 mirror thinking everything pictured is all included and then be in a bind because they will either have to then order RAM parts (wasting time and a second shipping charge) or decide if the additional cost of the RAM parts pushes it over what they could spend in the first place and then have to return them (possibly having to pay for return postage). Might want to nip that in the bud and show a picture of just the mirror that that they are buying and explicitly say RAM parts are to be purchased separately. Surely that will save you some headaches.
....or, if you really are selling the mirror, RAM arm, and RAM ball for $25, let me know so I can order a dozen.

Chadx screwed with this post 11-20-2010 at 02:47 PM
Old 11-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #244
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,319
Hey Ned...

wonderful product you've made for us. I love my mirrors, I have a habit of breaking stock ones, so you just saved me a butt-load of cash. Thanks!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #245
cueball
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 738
mirrors

paypal sent for a set for my 640---broke another one (not yours) yesterday--looking forward to trying yours!!
thanks
frank
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #246
SprocketTX
Bull in China Shop

Oddometer: 137
Point well taken on the need for a mirror, arm, and mount. And so, we give you http://www.motoadv.com/products/Doub...re-Mirror.html

Note credit given where due in the description...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
SprocketTX,
It's great to see them for sale in more places and the word getting out.

I agree. These solved my dual sport mirror issues for good.

By the way, I looked at your ad and you may want to explicitly say that the RAM arm and ball (shown in the picture) are not included. The ad does say that this setup mounts using standard RAM mount hardware, but it does not go on to say that those items are not included. Someone might order the $25 mirror thinking everything pictured is all included and then be in a bind because they will either have to then order RAM parts (wasting time and a second shipping charge) or decide if the additional cost of the RAM parts pushes it over what they could spend in the first place and then have to return them (possibly having to pay for return postage). Might want to nip that in the bud and show a picture of just the mirror that that they are buying and explicitly say RAM parts are to be purchased separately. Surely that will save you some headaches.
....or, if you really are selling the mirror, RAM arm, and RAM ball for $25, let me know so I can order a dozen.
SprocketTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #247
Chadx
Off the road again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprocketTX
Point well taken on the need for a mirror, arm, and mount. And so, we give you http://www.motoadv.com/products/Doub...re-Mirror.html

Note credit given where due in the description...
Ha. Good deal, Jeffrey, but no credit needed. I was just trying to make your lives easier by making your customers lives easier. Nothing worse than a confused customer not getting what they wanted and taking it out on you. A little extra info, to help them understand the setup right from the start, is good for everyone involved. Good on you for including the link to ADVrider.com, though and driving more unsuspecting souls into our clutches!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #248
bootz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Ordered mine! Just a note to anyone who reads the inaugural post. It indicates the mirror is $25. While this is absolutely true, it depicts the mirror along with the necessary mounting hardware. I was a little surprised to find out my $25 mirror was going to cost $50. Not a biggie. It looks like a great product and I can't wait to get it installed. Just making an observation.
bootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #249
cueball
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 738
mine came really fast & work great!! thanks
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #250
fishguy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Just ordered 3, one to replace the brand new stock KTM that I broke on the first ride after I installed it been without one for a while and really enjoyed having a mirror again at the start of my ride... the other 2 are for xmas presents for a couple of buddies with the same bikes that are also mirrorless...
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #251
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,697
A double take mirror on the start line of the Dakar!

Pretty cool. Go Jonah!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #252
redredred
n00b Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 330
i just received my Doubletake mirrors a few days ago and have been able to squeeze 100 miles on interstates with them so far. they look great, work great and are about 1000 times easier to adjust than the stock BMW R1200GS mirrors.
redredred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #253
Killa Meter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Just wondering about my set on my gs 1200 , first trip up a corrugated road they fell down , i couldnt tighten them with my hands enough to stop this .So i read up about it and slipped some thin racing bicycle tube over the ball and if i tighten them firmly they stay put. Am i defeating the purpose of them by having such a firm grip?
They wont stay put otherwise .
Has there been a defective batch?
Are the mirrors too heavy for the design? I feel they are ,(myopinion).
Am i going to break the bmw thread adapter or worse the lever perch if the mirrors hit the deck?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #254
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,989
just ordered!!! hopefully I got the right thing for the F800GS?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #255
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa Meter View Post
Am i defeating the purpose of them by having such a firm grip?

Are the mirrors too heavy for the design?
I don't think it will be a problem. I've seen the arm move on the rubberized RAM ball on the handlebar in a crash, so it should also move on the mirror as you've treated it if need be.

It's not clear to me why a small percentage of the mirrors move, and many more do not. The mirrors are all very consistent, so my guess is that the finish inside the RAM arm is the variable, there are almost "paint drips" on some of them.

In any event, for the minority who have had movement issues, rubber tube as you've done, or dipping the end of the mirror in vinyl, or rough sanding the inside of the RAM arm and the outside of the mirror, seems to clear it up and get the mirror to hold.

Regarding the weight of the mirror, it is intentional that it is heavy. I spent a lot of time testing to get a clear image in the mirror, and using such a stiff material and also having a fair bit of weight on the end were both important to getting a clear image on a vibrating handlebar. Some of my test units were heavily adorned with wheel balance weights, it made for an amusing look.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote