Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #466
Scotian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Finally got the mirrors on, and have been commuting with them for a week and a half (120km/day). Replaced the stockers with these. 09 DR 650, stock trailwings, no balance issues.

The Good - Visibility is way better than stock. I am able to see what's behind me without pulling my arms in and tilting my head (for reference, I am 6'3", 270lbs). Build quality of the mirror is outstanding. Ease of installation. Fast shipping.

The Bad - Vibration! I am able to tell something is behind me, but that is about it. Prior to installing these mirrors, I had the stock mirrors. Once I positioned myself to see out of them, they were crystal clear at any speed. Maybe the double take vibrate less than cheap chinese garbage from Ebay, but they are way more vibration prone than the stock mirrors. I read through this thread to see if anyone else has encountered this situation, and tried every position I could with these, to no avail. At all revs, everything is a complete blur.

It's a trade off I guess, one I'll have to live with. 60km/day of my commute is Highway (Interstate for our American friends) , and I'd rather be able to see something out of my mirrors than my shoulders.

Something to think about if you're considering these.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #467
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotian View Post
The Bad - Vibration! I am able to tell something is behind me, but that is about it. Prior to installing these mirrors, I had the stock mirrors. Once I positioned myself to see out of them, they were crystal clear at any speed. Maybe the double take vibrate less than cheap chinese garbage from Ebay, but they are way more vibration prone than the stock mirrors. I read through this thread to see if anyone else has encountered this situation, and tried every position I could with these, to no avail. At all revs, everything is a complete blur. .
Sounds to me like you have them too tight. Mine don't vibrate much on my DR. No more than stock, anyway.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #468
Scotian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
That's what I thought. When I read the thread, that's one thing someone said to try. So I went out, loosened them up, and tried it. No change. So I progressively loosened and tested to the point that there wasn't enough tension to hold themselves up.

I wish I had a GoPro or similar to video the vibration.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #469
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Search Yamaha mirror adapter on fleabay.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #470
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Just found out about these very interesting mirrors!..I have a Yamaha TW200 (09 if that makes a difference?)I believe this bike has "reverse" threads on one side of the mirror stalk(s)?.I presume I can get an adaptor somewhere?.
If you go to the DoubleTake "components" page, you'll find them selling the adapter:

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/build/components

Or, if your stock mirror mounts are on the cap side of the clamp - you can buy one of the "split clamp assembly" and just replace your clamp cap with theirs - and get both sides "right". Looks neater, and it's cheaper.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #471
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,863
Hmm. Just found this pic:

Looks like the mirror threads are on the "component" side of the clamps - so adapter, or get split clamps and use directly, or convert your clamp caps to mirror mounts.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #472
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
For some reason all I can see is white in my DoubleTake mirrors

These mirrors always impress me for how much of a beating they will take. Smack tree branches, scrape across tree trunks, rocks, dirt when I toss the bike, and I just move them back into place and ride on! Stable when I ride fast too.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #473
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,270
Ill vouch for these mirrors

they can take a hit no worries and dont break
http://youtu.be/rlcWZHSXZ9I
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #474
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
I ordered and installed them just before I went on a 2 week, 3,800 mile trip a few weeks ago. Super fast shipping. I mean "in the mail the same day" fast.

Part of my trip involved my lack of dirt riding skills, a 650 V-Strom and Point Sublime at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. There were a few other dirt "roads" a V-Strom should probably stay away from. I figured I'd be introducing my bike to the ground, at least once. I hated the stock mirrors too.

Somehow, I avoided testing the "swing away" feature of the mirrors. However, as street bike mirrors, they are fine. There's a bit of vibration, but not much worse than stock.

More importantly, for V-Stroms, it seems to have reduced the wind buffeting and noise, compared to stock mirrors.

Good product. Good service. Fair price. Made in the US. Go Ned!
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #475
muskieken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
well i just bought a second set of them , they get hit all / moved all the time
love them
funny how you forget the price when they just work.
I know I'd of went threw 5 or 6 regular mirrors if i did not have these all ready
this set is for a xr350
Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #476
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
What's the best arm length to purchase for a 640 KTM?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #477
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
What's the best arm length to purchase for a 640 KTM?

Thanks
I have the longer arm on all my bikes. It's a better view when in use, and the additional inch gets the mirror head to clear the handguards a little easier when folded.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #478
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Thank you!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #479
BSamms
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Ordered a pair for my DR650 yesterday. Very stoked to slap them on, hate the stockers. What region do you ship from? I'm already getting fidgety.
BSamms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #480
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
I've ordered these a few times and always pleased at how quickly they show up.