Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #526
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittrunyon View Post
Anyone out there mounted these on 92 R100GS or similar bike?

The stock mirror stem is not threaded into the bars. It goes through with a nut on the end threads.

Needless to say, I really would like to find a way to mount these on a 20 year old airhead.

Ideas?
Hi Britt,

I hope you enjoyed the Holiday.

You can use the ball plate mount for this type of perch, available here http://www.doubletakemirror.com/build/bmw and you simply add your own bolt, so you can chose any length/material as you please.

Cheers,

Natalie

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #527
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Order placed, hope they get here before Christmas

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #528
roundtripping
Adventourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
Order placed, hope they get here before Christmas
...and they did! Awesome

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

My SPOT Tracker
Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #529
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
...and they did! Awesome

You'll love 'em-had mine since I broke the left perch at 50 miles with a garage lay down.
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #530
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,352
I wrapped the ram ball with an old inner tube, crammed it in there then trimmed the excess.
Works very good and requires a lot less torque. Hard to micro adjust on the fly though.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #531
roundtripping
Adventourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
I wrapped the ram ball with an old inner tube, crammed it in there then trimmed the excess.
Works very good and requires a lot less torque. Hard to micro adjust on the fly though.
Hey Dave, how come you wrapped the RAM ball in the first place? ( Sorry, it's probably in the thread somewhere but there are too many pages, must not lose beer focus )

My SPOT Tracker
Old 12-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #532
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Hey Dave, how come you wrapped the RAM ball in the first place? ( Sorry, it's probably in the thread somewhere but there are too many pages, must not lose beer focus )

Go back one page starting at post #520
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #533
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,955
I took some 60 grit sandpaper and roughed up the ball on the mirror and the corresponding ram mount cup.... Problem solved and I can let tension off considerably and they stay put

Easy fix
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #534
JimInColorado
n00b

Oddometer: 5
You can also take some rosin (dried tree sap) and rub it on the end of the round ball on the mirror.
Once you use friction to heat it up, it will stop it from moving so easily.
You can purchase rosin from a sporting goods store, or steal it from a Bull rider.
Rosin is used on bull ropes so the riders don't lose their grip on the rope and also baseball gloves.
JimInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #535
SteveROntario
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Removing old lenses

Hi all,
I got some new lenses for Christmas and my mom packaged them with super glue but no instructions. Is the superglue the correct stuff to put the new lenses in, and more importantly, how do you get the old ones out!? I went back about 10 or 15 pages and didn't see any suggestions. I know I'll need good gloves but not sure what else...
My bike's a DRZ400 and gets a good thrashing whenever it goes out, I've crashed and found myself standing on one of the lenses before but the last straw was riding a rocky trail where a friend fired a bunch of rocks at me. They successfully shattered one lens by hitting the black holder and the other lens has a black line in it so I imagine it is going to go soon.
Cheers, Steve
SteveROntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #536
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,518
Data point, I had a small get off on my GS last weekend. ~25mph onto hard packed dirt. Left hand guard destroyed, left driving light frame destroyed. DTM still intact. It needs to be readjusted but it totally survived. The right side needs to be readjusted also but intact!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #537
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveROntario View Post
I got some new lenses for Christmas and my mom packaged them with super glue but no instructions.
Use clear silicone, not superglue. Getting them out is a pain, we try not to do it.

Glad to hear they survived the crash, Lonestar, and hope you're ok!

For anyone else thinking of testing the crashworthiness, Lonestar has done your work for you, no longer necessary to auger!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #538
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Received mine a couple weeks ago for my R1200GSA through Adventure designs.
Nice quality item, though one of my mirrors did have a small manufacturing dimple in the reflector area.

Vibration is a bit worse than OEM, but manageable. On my bike, there are two places in the rev range that cause mirror vibes...one spot just off idle, then again around 3,000 - 3,200 rpm. other than that, pretty good clarity!

I did have problems with mirror movement at high revs and high speed as well. Tight or loose, the same movement.

I decided to add a few light coats of rubber tool coating as some posters suggested. Worked for sure, though now, I have to stop to adjust the mirrors...before I could adjust on the fly w/o loosening the ram mount...but that's why there was a problem with movement initially.

I'm quite satisfied...I'm sure I'll have at least some minor get-offs in the future, and now I know my mirrors will survive.
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #539
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
For those who are concerned with mirror vibration, the XR650L owners of DoubleTake mirrors might be able to provide a solution.

The stock mirrors of the XR650L incorporate effective rubber dampers to minimize vibration. These dampers screw into the mirror perches with a standard, 10mm, right-hand thread. However, the tops of these rubber dampers employ 8mm threads, one of which is a left-hand thread.

Fortunately, one can purchase inexpensive, Yamaha, scooter mirror adapters on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10mm-8mm-0-3...ht_3604wt_1077

Here is a possible solution to the mirror vibration issue. For $6.80, a Honda XR650L owner can purchase a pair of these 10mm to 8mm, reverse thread adapters. He can then remove the rubber mirror dampers from his stock, XR650L mirrors, and install them in the mirror perches. Next, screw the reverse thread adapters into the Honda rubber dampers. Finally, screw the RAM mounting balls into the reverse thread adapters.

The resulting stack of adapters will raise the RAM ball another 1-7/8 inches, which might present problems for some riders. Also, the rubber dampers might not reduce vibrations for the DoubleTake mirrors. However, this experiment is certainly worth performing for a total cost of $6.80.

If the experiment is successful, owners of other motorcycles can purchase the Honda, rubber mirror dampers. Is there an XR650L owner with DoubleTake mirrors who is willing to experiment with the reverse thread adapters?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #540
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Tough Balls

Any news from the RAM folks when these will ship in the right size?
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote