Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #601
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,145
I am unfortunately disappointed with my doubletake mirrors. Not only do they vibrate so bad on the freeway that I can't see anything, in order to keep them in place, I had to turn the screws down so tight the ram balls are smashed. And after a few days of commuting, the mirrors started folding again.
I tried numerous mirrors on my DRZ, and none held up to the abuse of brush and brushes with rocks, etc. I read so many positive reviews that I finally bought the bullet and spent what seemed like a lot for two mirrors. At first, I was satisfied, but after a few days, it wore off. I switched them to the DR650, thinking that the DRZ was just too much thumper () for them. I so far have used the DR650 mostly on the freeway for commuting.
I will try the method mentioned previously, scoring the balls of the mirror in a cross hatch pattern, but I will take my OEM mirrors with me this week, in case it doesn't work. It will not likely do anything in regards to the vibration.
Another rider suggested I remove my windscreen, as it ties the handlebars to the fork mounts, defeating any anti-vibe rubber in the handlebar mounts. Perhaps that will cut the vibration a bit.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #602
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,819
The pair I mounted on my DR350S have worked fine. I had to retighten them after the first couple of rides, but I can see fine out of them (a little vibe, but nothing like the 'stockers).

They get full speed (75mph!) for 20 minutes 3-4 days a week, with a 1/2 mile of washboard to get from pavement to house.

I saw in reviews some folks that have had your issues, but only a few. Maybe there are "bad" RAM balls? Mine are fine.

And so are the ones I mounted on a Ducati M695 - until an idiot turned left in front of me. The doubletakes didn't move notably from the crash, and are still fine to look at. Haven't finished replacing the bent frame to test them as yet.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #603
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,779
It's really hard for me to read reviews like the one above- we really want to have the best product out there, and when someone finds it lacking, I want to understand why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I saw in reviews some folks that have had your issues, but only a few.
This is what confuses me (and keeps me up at night!). Consistently, a few folks complain about movement while the vast majority of others do not. Likewise, a few folks have more vibration than stock, many of us have less- often even on the same models!

I'm happy to work with anyone who has an issue, hopefully we can both resolve it and learn from it. A few thoughts to add:

- I think wheel balance is important. If the mirror is vibrating, the source of that is in the bike, and anything that makes it smoother will help.

- I know some folks use either heat shrink, or something like liquid electrical tape, to make the ball on the mirror a bit tackier. This seems to work for those who have movement issues.

- We see more issues in hot climates than cool. I think it's because the rubber in the RAM ball softens/ deforms more, and as the pressure against the arm drops on one side, it releases grip on the other side.

On my 500, the mirror is calm at steady speed, with a bit of vibration under acceleration (the stock one is the same). Its never moved unless it should have (branches, etc). I wish I knew why others had such a different experience.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #604
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,145
I have a good friend with a 950, and he doesn't seem to have the same problems.

FWIW, my wheels have been balanced. It's been probably near 1k miles since though. The left mirror moves before the right one will. Not very scientific though, eh?

I haven't cross hatched it yet, but will try. I took them on a trail ride today, and they moved when required by branches. It's not terribly hot here yet, hottest day last week was high eighties.

Will report back later this week on it's performance.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #605
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,012
Ok,
I have these on four bikes-
first is my 950adv with no problems at any speed.
Second on my KTM450sixdays and no real issues.
Third my CRE260 and I am satisfied with the little vibrating I get on the smoker.
LAST on my xr650l and nothing out of normal for vibration.

I even have mounted a third on my 950 for use while standing up. These are cool units.
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #606
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
Ok,
I have these on four bikes-
first is my 950adv with no problems at any speed.
Second on my KTM450sixdays and no real issues.
Third my CRE260 and I am satisfied with the little vibrating I get on the smoker.
LAST on my xr650l and nothing out of normal for vibration.

I even have mounted a third on my 950 for use while standing up. These are cool units.
You win
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #607
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
I am unfortunately disappointed with my doubletake mirrors. Not only do they vibrate so bad on the freeway that I can't see anything, in order to keep them in place, I had to turn the screws down so tight the ram balls are smashed. And after a few days of commuting, the mirrors started folding again.
I tried numerous mirrors on my DRZ, and none held up to the abuse of brush and brushes with rocks, etc. I read so many positive reviews that I finally bought the bullet and spent what seemed like a lot for two mirrors. At first, I was satisfied, but after a few days, it wore off. I switched them to the DR650, thinking that the DRZ was just too much thumper () for them. I so far have used the DR650 mostly on the freeway for commuting.
I will try the method mentioned previously, scoring the balls of the mirror in a cross hatch pattern, but I will take my OEM mirrors with me this week, in case it doesn't work. It will not likely do anything in regards to the vibration.
Another rider suggested I remove my windscreen, as it ties the handlebars to the fork mounts, defeating any anti-vibe rubber in the handlebar mounts. Perhaps that will cut the vibration a bit.
When I first got my DoubleTake mirrors for my Husaberg FE390 dirtbike, the abuses of technical offroad riding required me to tighten them very tight to stay in place. That was denting/deforming the standard RAM balls and the mirrors would still drop down eventually. However, like others have found earlier in this thread, if you modify the RAM arm-clamps to grab the mirror ball much harder than the RAM ball (leverage mod) then it works like a charm. Mirrors stay in place well in any riding conditions, easy to adjust out of the way in rough going, and does not deform the rubber RAM balls much at all.

Here was my post earlier
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=368

and how Ghost did it

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=365

Hope it can help your problem.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #608
ontic

Oddometer: 1,045
What he said^^
My ram balls were severely squashing and I could never get the mirror balls gripped tight enough- I did the same 'alteration' as Ghost,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=365

I see he came out with something exact like 16.4mm and 16.7mm for each dowel. I just did mine by fit and feel, and just measured them now, and it seems to have come out with 16mm both sides, and going a little shorter would be fine IMO because as we already know the ram balls squash and it will just self adjust that way.
I just used a bit of aluminium for the dowel- I knocked the steel centre out of some big long fat pop rivets, cut the rivet head off, filed it to fit. You could use anything- I didn't want rust leaking out from steel, and didn't have anything in stainless that fit well, so aluminium went in and it works fine. The ends have dented a little bit from the pressure but they seem to be holding up and replacing them if I ever need to will be just as easy as putting them in in the first place.

It was a 5 minute job and they are completely firm and I can really clamp down on the mirror ball now and get things as firm as I would like. I highly recommend trying this super easy and effective fix before most of the other methods (scorring the mirror ball, dipping in stuff, etc). It really works.

I should note I had already read of this issue in this thread before I bought mine, that simple fix stuck in my mind, so was prepared to deal with it if/when required.

Great mirrors Ned
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #609
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,779
This is a good news, bad news post.

Let's start with the bad news. RAM has backordered us on all RAM-B-349U, which is the ball stud base that works on almost every bike. We ordered them months ago, they were due for delivery weeks ago, and now they are saying June 19 before we get them. We have already bought out all the distributors and dealers we could find to get to this point.

To compensate, we're doing a sale. Orders placed right now (on anything, whether it includes that part or not) will get 20% off to compensate for the delay. I hope this is good news for some of you out there.

Tomorrow, I'm going to start a countdown that knocks 1% off the discount per day until June 20, so order now for the biggest discount (tomorrow will be 19%, the day after 18%, and so on).

Orders that are in stock will ship immediately, orders that include the Ball Stud Base will (obviously) be held until the parts are in stock. Cards won't be charged until orders ship. Existing orders have been (or will be) filled. If RAM misses their delivery date by more than 5 days, you'll get the option to cancel or wait. I think that covers the fine print...

Onward!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #610
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,527
Order placed! I have had my mirrors all over the western US and love em.
Great timing.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #611
Mohawk Unit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I'm in.

Me
Mohawk Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #612
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,649
balls

Time to start making your own balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
This is a good news, bad news post.

Let's start with the bad news. RAM has backordered us on all RAM-B-349U, which is the ball stud base that works on almost every bike. We ordered them months ago, they were due for delivery weeks ago, and now they are saying June 19 before we get them. We have already bought out all the distributors and dealers we could find to get to this point.

To compensate, we're doing a sale. Orders placed right now (on anything, whether it includes that part or not) will get 20% off to compensate for the delay. I hope this is good news for some of you out there.

Tomorrow, I'm going to start a countdown that knocks 1% off the discount per day until June 20, so order now for the biggest discount (tomorrow will be 19%, the day after 18%, and so on).

Orders that are in stock will ship immediately, orders that include the Ball Stud Base will (obviously) be held until the parts are in stock. Cards won't be charged until orders ship. Existing orders have been (or will be) filled. If RAM misses their delivery date by more than 5 days, you'll get the option to cancel or wait. I think that covers the fine print...

Onward!
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #613
muddy udders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Ordered!!
13% off as of today
muddy udders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #614
Tramontana

Oddometer: 2,055
Food for thought Ned...

...with RAM having such difficulty supplying you with balls, what might the option be to source a supply for balls made out of some material other than aluminum? I have nothing against RAM, but I worry about aluminum threaded studs breaking off inside of the female threads of the lever perches, and I too have noticed some loosening of my Double-Takes on my DR650, perhaps from squishy balls?

Cheers!

Memberships: AMA 222838, COHVCO #4409, Blue Ribbon Coalition, Rollins Pass Restoration Association, Tread Lightly!

KD0DHK - Amateur Radio FCC Technician Class

Tread Lightly! Master Tread Trainer.
Tramontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #615
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,012
You just have to play with your balls now and again to make sure they are aligned right
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote