Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #616
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramontana View Post
...with RAM having such difficulty supplying you with balls, what might the option be to source a supply for balls made out of some material other than aluminum? I have nothing against RAM, but I worry about aluminum threaded studs breaking off inside of the female threads of the lever perches, and I too have noticed some loosening of my Double-Takes on my DR650, perhaps from squishy balls?

Cheers!
I see no problem with the aluminum shaft on the ram ball. It is short and should be pretty hard to break. I would be glad for it to break instead of the expensive clutch and brake perches.

I installed my balls using a little threadlock and tightened them using the ram arm to grab ahold of them. I have had no loosening of the balls since.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #617
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
1. Vibration: If the bars vibrate, the mirrors are going to vibrate too..no way around it. Mine do it too, and it is no bother to me. If I want to see a clear view of what is behind me, I hold the mirror for the second I look. Easy peasy.

2. Hey Ned..not sure if it was mentioned or not( only looked 1 page back), but did you see the Ned Bayly Ride to Peru series?? The BMW's they were training on, were all outfitted with your mirrors. Pretty fricken cool, huh??

Again, as far as I am concerned, great concept for a mirror.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #618
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post

2. Hey Ned..not sure if it was mentioned or not( only looked 1 page back), but did you see the Ned Bayly Ride to Peru series?? The BMW's they were training on, were all outfitted with your mirrors. Pretty fricken cool, huh??

Now you can add "as seen on Speed channel" to your marketing. Nice work!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #619
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley View Post

Now you can add "as seen on Speed channel" to your marketing. Nice work!
yeah, while you can...Speed is going away and becoming Fox Sports One, I believe. Losing focus on Motosports.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #620
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
yeah, while you can...Speed is going away and becoming Fox Sports One, I believe. Losing focus on Motosports.

strooth -- this does not bode well.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #621
sumwon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwon View Post
I got to do a good "shake down" of the mirrors on and off road with my R1150GS. These mirrors do vibrate more than the original mirror, but not enough to scrap them. The adjustability more than makes up for any vibration issues in my book.
I wanted to speak a little more to the vibration issues. I have found that I can control the vibrations to a great extent through adjusting the mirrors and finding clean air. If I place the mirrors in more or less a straight 45 degree angle to the handlebars on my bike, they work best. They still shake in certain situations, but so did the original mirrors. Still a great product in my view. Just throwing that out there.
sumwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #622
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwon View Post
I wanted to speak a little more to the vibration issues. I have found that I can control the vibrations to a great extent through adjusting the mirrors and finding clean air.
agreed.. My doubletakes vibrated like crazy at first, to the point where my left side mirror would unscrew itself from the perch.. After a while I found it was mostly wind buffeting from the windscreen on my bike.. When I moved the mirror glass further out towards the ends of the bars the shakiness at highway speeds diminished greatly.. This is on a 2007 F650gs thumper with v-stream windscreen..

it's still hard to tell if there's a cop or a cadillac behind me at times but even with the OEM mirrors it was hard to tell what was behind me on the highway.. For visibility I would say these are equal or better (in the right position) than OEM on my bike and a hundred times better when I dump the bike in a mud pit where an OEM mirror would break free at the base these seem to just move to an awkward position. Re-position the mirror and ride on!

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #623
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
For anyone who's on the fence... RAM just let us know that instead of getting us product today, they are sending overnight on Monday. Because we're running a little behind, I'm going to stop the countdown and just leave the discount to stand over the weekend.

So, last chance for a while to get a great price on the mirror!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #624
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
It's a fetish really...

I love my Double Take mirrors so much, I have 7 of them on five bikes.

Did you know street-legal motorbikes in NV are supposed to have two mirrors?

Mirror, mirror, on the bar...

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #625
CrashesALot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I have an 06 gs dakar and its missing one mirror. I found an M8x1.25 bolt and it fits where the mirror goes. Since ive never seen any of the ram mount products Im wondering if this setup will work. Use the ball plate base with a 3" arm and the double take mirror. Instead of using a screw through the ball plate base I want to use another ball(see here). Then mount my phone like this off of that ball. I just wonder if there is enough room for everything. It seems the phone mount and mirror arm might be too close.

Thanks
CrashesALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #626
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashesALot View Post
I just wonder if there is enough room for everything. It seems the phone mount and mirror arm might be too close.
I haven't tried it, but I think things would work when the mirror is out but possibly preclude folding the mirror. Worst case, I think you'd need a longer RAM arm (the 5.25") to get some extra space... but I'm just guessing!

Everything is back in stock and shipping!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #627
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Thanks Ned

I wanted to tell Ned thanks for sponsoring the Westfest Rally this year in Buena Vista and giving us a set of mirrors and his advanced dual sport riding technique video

I actually just got introduced to the Doubletake mirror when I won a mirror at the Sipipu Shindig in NM. I was really impressed and am going to get anther mirror so I can have them on my 950 Really cool products Ned, thanks!! If you make it down we'll have to do a ride.

ben
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #628
CrashesALot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I haven't tried it, but I think things would work when the mirror is out but possibly preclude folding the mirror. Worst case, I think you'd need a longer RAM arm (the 5.25") to get some extra space... but I'm just guessing!

Everything is back in stock and shipping!
Would the two ball mounts be too close together for the arm to even fit on?
CrashesALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #629
chokozip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Just ordered a set yesterday after snapping one of my stock X-Challenge mirrors off:)
Im looking forward to them showing up this week.
Discount?I missed something.

Sean
chokozip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #630
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashesALot View Post
Would the two ball mounts be too close together for the arm to even fit on?
I think they could be clamped at some angles relative to one another, but not have a full range of motion. Just a guess, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokozip View Post
Just ordered a set yesterday after snapping one of my stock X-Challenge mirrors off:)
Im looking forward to them showing up this week.
Discount?I missed something.
Thanks!

The discount is gone, we are shipping daily.