ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #46
DaneelOlivaw
Irv Seaver BMW; Parts Mgr
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Orange, CA; USA
Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside


Define the strict traceability pursuant to the term "dispose". The truth now

Rather than the service manager, it is the dealership parts manager who typically takes responsibility for the management of the retention, storage, filing, and systematic periodic scrapping of failed/take-off warranty parts. Each manufacturer's WPPM (Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual) spells out exact requirements that tend to follow a rather narrow common industry standard.

All failed/take-off warranty parts must be tagged with pertinent repair order information like RO number, part number, and date. Items are then to be stored in a "ten-bin" shelf system, where each of the possible ten last-digits of the RO have a shelf assigned.

Items are to be retained until one of three things happen:

1) The manufacturer (rarely to very rarely) requests the dealer to ship the failed/take-off item from a specific RO back to them, which typically happens immediately after the warranty claim is submitted by the dealer to the manufacturer. Failure to comply causes claim to be rejected.
2) The dealer has been paid by the manufacturer for the warranty claim, and on-site scrapping command has been given for the part. Some manufacturers specify scrapping after a specific number of days has elapsed since the paid-date of the claim; others periodically issue a list of specific paid claims whose parts must be scrapped on a specific day. Manufacturer forbids dealer from scrapping any item early, and from retaining any item after its scrap day. Periodic visits to the dealer by authorized factory service field reps include monitoring the dealer's compliance with warranty parts retention requirements, including spot-checking of items shelved in the ten-bin retention area, with factory warranty scrap report in hand. Skilled parts managers find manufacturer requirements in this sector of the dealer's operation to be rather easy to meet; tag the part and scrap it at the right time, and act immediately on all (occasional) send-back requests.
3) The dealer warranty claim is rejected by the manufacturer. In this case, usually resulting from dealer claim processing procedural error, part becomes once again the property of the dealer. Rejected claims are great in number at most poorly-managed dealerships.

Do top-skilled career parts managers establish so high a degree of compliance in this area that their factory reps come to know this well enough to reduce periodic parts-retention-area inspections to the occasional glance? Many do. I do. But I could also weather a rigorous inspection by the same guy any day, and he knows it. One thing I will never do is give a failed/take-off warranty part to a customer. Never. Ever.

DaneelOlivaw screwed with this post 09-16-2008 at 11:24 PM
DaneelOlivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:11 AM   #47
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,701

Whoa! That's quite a little system they got there, Daneel. Seems like the whole purpose of the procedure is to make money by not paying claims when the dealer doesn't follow the procedure.

The manufacturer spends more attention on developing and policing that system than they do a lot of other things. I'm glad though, because when ciirap fails, it's nice to know the great care in which it will be thrown away on an exact day. Not any sooner, and certainly not any later.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:30 AM   #48
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneelOlivaw
Rather than the service manager, it is the dealership parts manager who typically takes responsibility for the management of the retention, storage, filing, and systematic periodic scrapping of failed/take-off warranty parts. Each manufacturer's WPPM (Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual) spells out exact requirements that tend to follow a rather narrow common industry standard.

All failed/take-off warranty parts must be tagged with pertinent repair order information like RO number, part number, and date. Items are then to be stored in a "ten-bin" shelf system, where each of the possible ten last-digits of the RO have a shelf assigned.

Items are to be retained until one of three things happen:

1) The manufacturer (rarely to very rarely) requests the dealer to ship the failed/take-off item from a specific RO back to them, which typically happens immediately after the warranty claim is submitted by the dealer to the manufacturer. Failure to comply causes claim to be rejected.
2) The dealer has been paid by the manufacturer for the warranty claim, and on-site scrapping command has been given for the part. Some manufacturers specify scrapping after a specific number of days has elapsed since the paid-date of the claim; others periodically issue a list of specific paid claims whose parts must be scrapped on a specific day. Manufacturer forbids dealer from scrapping any item early, and from retaining any item after its scrap day. Periodic visits to the dealer by authorized factory service field reps include monitoring the dealer's compliance with warranty parts retention requirements, including spot-checking of items shelved in the ten-bin retention area, with factory warranty scrap report in hand. Skilled parts managers find manufacturer requirements in this sector of the dealer's operation to be rather easy to meet; tag the part and scrap it at the right time, and act immediately on all (occasional) send-back requests.
3) The dealer warranty claim is rejected by the manufacturer. In this case, usually resulting from dealer claim processing procedural error, part becomes once again the property of the dealer. Rejected claims are great in number at most poorly-managed dealerships.

Do top-skilled career parts managers establish so high a degree of compliance in this area that their factory reps come to know this well enough to reduce periodic parts-retention-area inspections to the occasional glance? Many do. I do. But I could also weather a rigorous inspection by the same guy any day, and he knows it. One thing I will never do is give a failed/take-off warranty part to a customer. Never. Ever.
Excellent information, it is nice when a dealer levels with us, and what you say makes perfect sense from a corporate standpoint, despite some people's insistance that BMW is some kind of evil entity!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #49
DaneelOlivaw
Irv Seaver BMW; Parts Mgr
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Orange, CA; USA
Oddometer: 439
quote=Poolside:

'A' Whoa! That's quite a little system they got there, Daneel. Seems like the whole purpose of the procedure is to make money by not paying claims when the dealer doesn't follow the procedure.

These warranty procedures which, as I've said, are common to all vehicle manufacturers, are put in place and usually serve well to reduce manufacturer warranty loss caused by careless work or fraudulent practices at dysfunctional dealers. Making money and stopping loss are not exactly the same thing.



'B' The manufacturer spends more attention on developing and policing that system than they do a lot of other things.

You asked for and received a truthful expanded expert explanation of certain aspects of the control system under which dealers operate when your vehicle warranty comes into play. Forum members reading your comment 'B' will now expect you to give your detailed explanation of how manufacturers allot their time and resources. Remember that without credible supporting information, most assertions such as yours must be entirely dismissed by even the mildly skeptical reader.


'C' I'm glad though, because when ciirap fails, it's nice to know the great care in which it will be thrown away on an exact day. Not any sooner, and certainly not any later.

Is "ciirap" another trendy fake word in the vast lexicon of the 21St-Century idiot?
DaneelOlivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #50
DaneelOlivaw
Irv Seaver BMW; Parts Mgr
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Orange, CA; USA
Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Excellent information, it is nice when a dealer levels with us, and what you say makes perfect sense from a corporate standpoint, despite some people's insistance that BMW is some kind of evil entity!

Jim
Thank you, Mr Bade.
DaneelOlivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #51
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,701

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneelOlivaw
3) The dealer warranty claim is rejected by the manufacturer.

In this case, usually resulting from dealer claim processing procedural error, part becomes once again the property of the dealer. Rejected claims are great in number at most poorly-managed dealerships.

Is "ciirap" another trendy fake word in the vast lexicon of the 21St-Century idiot?
First it was "usually...procedural errors and poor management", which sounds to me like a convenient way for BMW to save money on claims.

Which changed to, "usually...fraudulent practices at dysfunctional dealers" that the mfg. must protect themselves from. Poor, poor BMW.

I made no comments about you Daneel genteel. Why you gotta be like that? I can believe you work for a BMW store.

You're a machine. Owned and operated.

Pet your lap dog.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 09-18-2008 at 08:12 AM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #52
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,170
Typical.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #53
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,701

Good boy! Have a biscuit. These business concerns and international manufacturers are helpless and threatened from observation and points of view without your sharp fangs to protect them. Heh heh.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 AM   #54
RichK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RichK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 375
Daneel,

Thanks for the honest explanation. It's appreciated that someone gives the real skinny, and it makes sense that BMW would have the right to get parts back as dealers could be doing all kinds of false work and charging BMW accordingly.


I now know why I can't get my parts back unless I make a deal to get them out of the trash.

Rich
__________________
Oh wait... was she a great big fat person?
RichK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #55
RichK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RichK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 375
Well got my bike back. Imagine that, it was indeed the fuel pump controller.

Now, however, it's gathering fuel up in that location. Seems to do it slowly like maybe less than 1/2 oz over 100 miles (or a couple days)

Take it back or fix it myself? Sheesh.


Rich
__________________
Oh wait... was she a great big fat person?
RichK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #56
azgsa
Apathetic
 
azgsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ
Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK
Well got my bike back. Imagine that, it was indeed the fuel pump controller.

Now, however, it's gathering fuel up in that location. Seems to do it slowly like maybe less than 1/2 oz over 100 miles (or a couple days)

Take it back or fix it myself? Sheesh.


Rich
Guess it depends on the convenience.

Got mine back too Wednesday before last and they had replaced the fuel pump controller. The cutting out problem solved, but then the fuel gauge read full all the time. Back to the dealer last Sat and stayed all day so they could replace the fuel gauge sending strip and do an update on the computer. Don't mind hanging out at Scottsdale BMW too much (had already planned the day off), nice plasma video setup to watch movies on (World's Fastest Indian, etc.) and complementary refreshments. Also took a K1200GT for an hour test ride. Love that cruise control.
__________________
AARG!
azgsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #57
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com
 
Burnszilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Redwood City, California
Oddometer: 1,289
Instead of stripping the wires on your fuel controller just use Posi-taps.
Only little holes get poked into the wires. All you would need are 4 posi-taps and two 6 inch wires to carry in your tool kit.

http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__...posi-lock.html

Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #58
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com
 
Burnszilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Redwood City, California
Oddometer: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
Thanks for the write-up; saved me some time making this:



This reaches to the accessory plug on the RT I'm repairing. Bike runs like a champ.

I'll look at some scrap harnesses and see if I can make one with the right connector on it so it will just replace the module.
I found a source for the blue connectors to the fuel pump.
I can make two different types of the 'fuel controller by-pass harness'... One with the bmw power socket and one with Posi-taps.

How many of you guys are interested in buying them? $20, free shipping to US. (before I purchase the parts)

Burnszilla screwed with this post 02-18-2009 at 09:23 PM
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #59
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Moscow, Russia
Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
How many of you guys are interested in buying them? $20, free shipping to US. (before I purchase the parts)
I'd be interested in one with the power socket.
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:43 AM   #60
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrmaico's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Mandan, North Dakota
Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter
I'd be interested in one with the power socket.
+1 I'd take one too.
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014