Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #91
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
There is a solid possibity that I may end up in FLA. in the next year or so. I live in N.J. now. I have street legal registered and insured KTM two smoker. 98 300 EXC.

So, my question is: Are two smokers able to also be registered and insured in FLA? Thanks for any info.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #92
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
There is a solid possibity that I may end up in FLA. in the next year or so. I live in N.J. now. I have street legal registered and insured KTM two smoker. 98 300 EXC.

So, my question is: Are two smokers able to also be registered and insured in FLA? Thanks for any info.
If you have a valid out of state street title, you should have no issues. The biggest challenge will be the notary or LEO vin verification.

Or you could run around on the NJ tags without a problem.

In what part of FL will you end up?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #93
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
If you have a valid out of state street title, you should have no issues. The biggest challenge will be the notary or LEO vin verification.

Or you could run around on the NJ tags without a problem.

In what part of FL will you end up?
Potentially the Oveido area. Is it worth having a dirt bike anywhere near there? Right now, I leave my driveway, and I am in the NJ Pine Barens with in 2-3 miles.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #94
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Potentially the Oveido area. Is it worth having a dirt bike anywhere near there? Right now, I leave my driveway, and I am in the NJ Pine Barens with in 2-3 miles.
A dirt bike, not so much. With a tag, absolutely!

At least you are ready for the sand!

Ocala National Forest is about 30 minutes from there. Some great riding with a tagged bike.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #95
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
A dirt bike, not so much. With a tag, absolutely!

At least you are ready for the sand!

Ocala National Forest is about 30 minutes from there. Some great riding with a tagged bike.
Ok. Thanks for the input bro.....much appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #96
DevilDog78
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hi All,
I'm back in Orlando after 2 blissful riding years in the Texas Hill Country. While in Austin, I bought a DR650 and fell in love with riding Big Bend National Park and a number of other DS roads in the central TX. Back to Orlando to keep the missus happy... With that said, I'm interested in picking up another DR or XR and trying to teach my 4-year old to ride off road on a dirt bike. Any recommendations on where I could go to break him in not too far from Orlando? I've heard a lot about Ocala, but not sure where to start. Don't want to wind up in some high-speed MX area.. Thanks-
DevilDog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #97
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog78 View Post
Hi All,
I'm back in Orlando after 2 blissful riding years in the Texas Hill Country. While in Austin, I bought a DR650 and fell in love with riding Big Bend National Park and a number of other DS roads in the central TX. Back to Orlando to keep the missus happy... With that said, I'm interested in picking up another DR or XR and trying to teach my 4-year old to ride off road on a dirt bike. Any recommendations on where I could go to break him in not too far from Orlando? I've heard a lot about Ocala, but not sure where to start. Don't want to wind up in some high-speed MX area.. Thanks-
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...%20&%20Camping

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #98
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog78 View Post
Hi All,

Here's another...

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divi...e-State-Forest

Good place for the young one's to learn. They have a pee wee track near the campground.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #99
deutchman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Florida legal 2 stroke

I did have an 07' 300KTM that as long as the title said it was street legal then it was Florida legal. I did put mirrors, DOT tires, and then had the highway Patrol take a look at it. It was a rocket that I sold and opted for a 250 XCF that I also street legated the same way. KTM titles are the key!
deutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #100
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutchman View Post
I did have an 07' 300KTM that as long as the title said it was street legal then it was Florida legal. I did put mirrors, DOT tires, and then had the highway Patrol take a look at it. It was a rocket that I sold and opted for a 250 XCF that I also street legated the same way. KTM titles are the key!
Good deal. Thanks for the reply. The title is good, otherwise it would have never worked in NJ. I was a smart enough to get the title done before I started any work on this bike. I did not want to rebuild the whole thing only to find out I would not be able to title, register and insure it.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #101
DevilDog78
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thanks for the links. This will get me started-
DevilDog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #102
froger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Noob question from left coast.

Have never been to flatistan, nor have I been east of the Mississippi on a bike for a long time. But I'm thinking about it.
Plan "A", is get the best foul weather gear I can, ride the KLR to southern Cal, and turn left. Plan "B", is to load the vintage 175 into the truck, and drive to upper flatistan.
What kind of weather should I expect, crossing the southern US in January? I don't figgure it to be nice all the way, but I don't want to get rained on for a week either.
My 175 can cruse at 50-55, but that's about it. If I stuck to back roads as best I could, and did most of my riding early in the morning, would that be good enough for most of flatistan? I want to visit the Key's, but am not keen on seeing any big city's, unless it can't be avoided.

froger screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 08:21 AM
froger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #103
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 1,592
Could be in Northside, FL

... in the next couple of days.

I'm just 151 miles away right now.

I'm riding down the GA coast tomorrow.

I've done a 333 mile day from my base camp, and then a 300 mile day into Bluffton, S.C.

I should be able to do a 151 mile day.

I'm not too sure what I'll do from there. I'm not sure if I'll ride down the coast or head right to Tampa Bay, FL.

Let me know if anyone wants to ride or hang out.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #104
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post
What kind of weather should I expect, crossing the southern US in January? I don't figgure it to be nice all the way, but I don't want to get rained on for a week either.
Pot luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post
My 175 can cruse at 50-55, but that's about it. If I stuck to back roads as best I could, and did most of my riding early in the morning, would that be good enough for most of flatistan? I want to visit the Key's, but am not keen on seeing any big city's, unless it can't be avoided.
Change the gearing, you might get run over at those speeds. Crusie at 60 should be adequate as long as you stay out of the larger cities.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #105
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
... in the next couple of days.

I'm just 151 miles away right now.

I'm riding down the GA coast tomorrow.

I've done a 333 mile day from my base camp, and then a 300 mile day into Bluffton, S.C.

I should be able to do a 151 mile day.

I'm not too sure what I'll do from there. I'm not sure if I'll ride down the coast or head right to Tampa Bay, FL.

Let me know if anyone wants to ride or hang out.
PM or email, I can show you some of the better DS riding in Central FL.