User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,815
Spring Has Sprung in the North Georgia Mountains

I love Spring. I especially love riding in the spring. This was my 4th trip to the mountains this year. The first two involved snow and ice. Two weeks ago I went up, perfect weather but still nothing blooming at the higher elevations. I expected some of that bright green that comes in the spring this time.

Steve and I loaded up our small bikes and headed up to Ellijay to start our ride.

I brought my XT350 and Steve his DRZ. We met up with Matt on a KLR650. This would be Matt's first dual sport ride.

We started out on pavement including some nice twisties. This was the end of one of my favorite little stretches of pavement. My XT handles great on roads like this. Unlike the last time I came through, everyone stayed upright this time.

It's nice and green here but we haven't got to the mountains yet.

klaviator screwed with this post 04-21-2010 at 06:31 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Took my 2nd ride up there last week, nothing better than a day in North Georgia on 2 wheels. Looking forward to the rest of your report.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

We continued on toward Old Bucktown Rd which would take us up into the mountains. It was mostly paved but we did one short stretch of gravel. I wanted to gice Matt some practice before taking him up on of the roughest FS roads in the area.

I tried to capture to colors including the purple in the tree to the right. This picture doesn't do it justice.

Matt came along shortly.

The first part of Old Bucktown is paved, scenic, and twisty. Another of many fun roads in north Georgia. Unlike many of the more well known roads in the area, this one has very little traffic.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
SauS TaR-TaR
Go BaBy Go...

Oddometer: 469

"The Road May End... But Brotherhood Is Never End..."
SauS TaR-TaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

We continued on Old Bucktown which becomes a rocky, rutted jeep trail. I stopped a few times to check on Matt. This is probably not the best road on which to learn to ride dual sport, sort of like learning to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool. Matt did fine. He does have a lot of street bike as well as some Mountain bike riding experience. Picking a line through and over rocks was not a totally new experience for him. I stopped on the way and got this pick of him chugging along.

When we got to Nimblewill Gap we let Matt take a break while Steve and high headed up High Shoals Road towards Amicalola Falls. Steve had never been up this end of the road and it's been quite a while since I have. A little way up we came across this:

Anyone looking for a cheap used vehicle?

A little past this, we turned around, went back, picked up Matt and continued on towards TWO for lunch.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,206
Looks like you had a fun ride........

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

As we continued up to TWO, I took some more pics. I was trying to capture the look of spring with everything starting to bloom and all the bright green.

And there was some white to go with the green.

It was good having Matt along. Steve is usuelly too far ahead to get a picture of. Here's Matt approaching FS42 coming from the Ranger camp.

It's really scenic up here this time of year. My pictures don't do it justice.
Working on my photography is on my to do list.

One of the things I like about early spring is that everything is turning green but you can still see through the trees and see the mountains in the distance.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Time for one last pic before lunch:

Lunch at TWO was good as usual. Had a chance to talk to some friends I hadn't seen in awhile. Matt decided to head home after lunch. He did real good for his first dual sport ride and didn't need to take any naps

Steve and I headed down 180 to Flatland Rd. I had heard that there's a new sheriff in town who is giving out lots of tickets to motorcycle riders on 180 so we actually obeyed the speed limit for the short distance we were on it. After getting home I saw a post on the KLR forum from a rider who got a ticket on 180 while riding two up on his KLR. He described the sheriff as a total jerk. I'm glad I made the switch from sport bikes to dual sports because I not sure I could ride the whole length of 180 at the ridiculously low speed limits they have put on it.

So we rode down Flatland Rd.

No speed traps here. Just me and my camera.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After taking the water crossing pics, I rode after Steve. He was waiting a couple of miles down the trail. As we were stopped two other riders (on a KTM and a Husky) stopped, said Hi and continued on. We had also passed them earlier in the day headed in opposite directions on Old Bucktown. I found out later it was Cactus Dave and Johnboyhenson of this forum.

Another scenic pic in the Cooper Creek Area

We stopped at the Cooper Creek Store. I talked to a guy on a Night Hawk 750. He said he bought it for 500 bucks and had put 25,000 miles on it. That's a lot of bang for the buck. It's in the right side of the next pic:

Old 04-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,377
Xt!

Good looking XT350 you have there! I had a '98 and loved it...miss that bike...
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

While I'm talking to the guy about his Nighthawk, Steve is relaxing and taking a break.

Even though we haven't ridden all that far we are both getting tired and decide to take it easy the rest of the way back. We both need to do some more riding to shake off the winter rust and get back into shape before we head up to North Carolina in June for a week of riding. The planning thread for that ride is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564670

One last pic to try to capture the bright green spring colors:

Old 04-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
I love the look of the forest when it recaptures its greenery in the early spring - the leaves are so pure and green before the summer sun starts to burn them.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote