ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
Lacedaemon OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Motorcycle Fatalities are Down

Apparently they dropped 16% last year, after steadily rising for 12. No one can figure out why, but everything is mentioned from people riding less, which might not be that good, to drivers having become more aware of motorcycles, which would be awesome.

What are people's thoughts?

The Washington Post article discussing it in detail is linked here:
http://mobile.washingtonpost.com/rss...&cid=585&spf=1
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,983
Interesting article, especially the last part:

The NHTSA has reported that 41 percent of motorcyclists and 51 percent of their passengers who died in 2008 were not wearing helmets. Thirty percent of fatalities involved riders whose blood alcohol level was above the .08 legal limit, NHTSA said, and 35 percent of them were speeding.

Hmmmm......I wonder how many fell into all 3 categories? Apparently ATGATT, and riding sober and sensibly, will greatly reduce your chances of becoming a statistic. My .02

Ride safe.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-22-2010 at 05:38 PM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
n2omike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Personally, I'd like to see a different guardrail design. The present ones held in place by I-Beams give me the willies! Run into those at speed, and it's a slice & dice.

I think people are drinking less these days. They still crash their cars just as much or more, as too many are trying to text and drive.... but that isn't done as much on a motorcycle.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Lacedaemon OP
Studly Adventurer

Bad Judgment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
Interesting article, especially the last part:

The NHTSA has reported that 41 percent of motorcyclists and 51 percent of their passengers who died in 2008 were not wearing helmets. Thirty percent of fatalities involved riders whose blood alcohol level was above the .08 legal limit, NHTSA said, and 35 percent of them were speeding.

Hmmmm......I wonder how many fell into all 3 categories? Apparently ATGATT, riding sober and sensibly will greatly reduce your chances of becoming a statistic. My .02

Ride safe.
It does seem like bad judgment on the part of the rider is the No. 1 factor in most of the deaths. And even if some lunatic in a car was the immediate cause, something like being drunk or not wearing a helmet contributes.

I was interested (as a newly licensed, un-motorcyled person myself) that one of the possible causes was the economy keeping people from starting to ride, even if existing riders didn't ride less. It's sobering to think that lack of experience could make enough of a difference to bring down national statistics that much.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,040
GREAT NEWS!!
I'm thinking that there are WAY less newbs on the road because the economy is limiting first time MC buyers.
Most fatal accidents seem to involve folks with little to no experience. ..... and probably all of them are drinking, speeding and feeling an inflated sense of their ability. This shit ain't easy.
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
stoked steve
Tag-o-holic

Oddometer: 628
We've had a lot of motorcycle fatalities here last year and several already this year. Most of them are single vehicle accidents, involve speed and/or alcohol.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/04/two-...=rltd&cid=srch

As a rider, I'd love to blame cagers for the accidients, but the truth is 75%+ of the accidents are due to the rider himslef (or herself) making poor decisions, either about speed, road conditions, level of intoxication, gear, etc....

It's sad, but it gives me comfort when I read about these accidents that I always wear ATGATT, never drink when riding (another story when not riding!) and always stay cautious and alert about what is going on around me.

The real danger is oursleves and our abilities, not the reckless cager (most of the time!)

Quote:
This shit ain't easy.
Amen brother!

stoked steve screwed with this post 04-22-2010 at 05:34 PM
stoked steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
If you can survive the learning curve and ingrain some good habits then, it seems to me at least, that it gets a lot easier and your likelihood of being a statistic goes way down. I think the 42% drop in new sales was a big factor.

I'm a bit surprised that 59% of fatalities are wearing helmets. Of course if you go down at speed, have a sudden impact or are wearing a beanie it might not help that much.

That article dealt in absolute deaths. I think deaths per mile is a more relevant stat. However, any way you slice it the decline in fatalities is a good thing.

duck screwed with this post 04-22-2010 at 06:32 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
Lacedaemon OP
Studly Adventurer

Cry

Resurrecting an old thread of mine, it seems that the speculation that fatalities were down because of the crappy economy were spot on.

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...,5605728.story
Old 08-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #9
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,040
Thanks for the update.

"Licenses: In 2010, 22% of riders involved in fatal accidents didn't have valid motorcycle licenses."

So when your friend says Hey "can I ride that thing", the answer is FUCK NO. They can thank you later for helping them stay off the Darwin award winners list.

3 years and 50K miles under my ass since I said it, still true...... This shit ain't easy.
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote