Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
turbonotch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
might just be all the rocks in CO. i had a dual star mirror last my ENTIRE first year riding C-class enduro on a KLX300R... i crashed alot that year but mostly into sand and trees

even so - when it finally did break - it was super cheap to replace... like i said, they'll sell you just the mirror if your mount is still intact

given enough crashes - they'll all break
*2003 KTM 250EXC - 'SJER/ECEA bike' **2003 KTM 300EXC - 'Rock Bike' **1999 YZ125/500cc hybrid - 'Adrenaline' **1992 DR350S - 'day tripper' **1978 YZ400 - 'Vintage Big Bore **1981 Kawasaki KL250 - 'Dad's' **1979 Yamaha MX100 - 'lost & found'
turbonotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #17
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonotch
given enough crashes - they'll all break
I think you're right. REI sells the same mirror that DS uses so I just used the DS bracket and kept picking mirrors up at REI until I just decided to give up.
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
turbonotch
Studly Adventurer

i think the doubletake mirror is perfect for some applications - just not mine. both of them folded in will block my view of the instruments (i do mileage for enduro/dualsport trailcrew) and/or interfere with my GPS on a third RAM mount. but it's a great idea for a casual dualsport bike. i can imagine that it would provide a great, stable reflection.

i'll admit that the highway-dirt-bike system is PERFECT for my needs... but i simply can't swallow the price considering EVERY bike i own already has 'bark-busters' of one type or another (cyrca, moose, and fastway at the moment)

it's alot to lay out just to try the mirror that comes with it.

if i buy a bike that NEEDS guards - i'll probably swap them around and put HDB guards/mirrors on whichever bike needs to be 100% legal.

BTW - the screw-in type barend fasteners they use on the HDB bars are THE SHYTE for really banging around... even using them for years on my Cyrca guards. way better than all the other fasteners that come in any sort of kit combined!
*2003 KTM 250EXC - 'SJER/ECEA bike' **2003 KTM 300EXC - 'Rock Bike' **1999 YZ125/500cc hybrid - 'Adrenaline' **1992 DR350S - 'day tripper' **1978 YZ400 - 'Vintage Big Bore **1981 Kawasaki KL250 - 'Dad's' **1979 Yamaha MX100 - 'lost & found'
Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #19
ganshert
not sleeping

Quote:
BTW - the screw-in type barend fasteners they use on the HDB bars are THE SHYTE for really banging around... even using them for years on my Cyrca guards. way better than all the other fasteners that come in any sort of kit combined!

I ordered some extras from HDB last month. They are bullet proof.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #20
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
I'm trying to remember to always crash on the right side so the mirror just loosens up. Got lucky with the last left hander.

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #21
turbonotch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganshert

I ordered some extras from HDB last month. They are bullet proof.
Yeah - I accidentally stumbled across them installed on a bike I bought several years ago! I later found another source for them and now that I have the appropriate tap - a new set of inserts gets installed on every bike I own.

Each year I ride sweep for our enduro and we find missing hand guards trail side... I don't EVER want to be that guy - missing hand guard and 30-40+ miles of tight trees left to bite at my fingers
Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #22
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley
http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

This new mirror is awesome! I have one on a KTM 250xcfw, I was able to see behind me on a rough gravel road at speeds over 60mph.

The real beauty of this mirror is it can be tucked away when you hit the trails. Or if you're like me and forget, the mirror is strong enough to survive a crash or two. Mine hit some slickrock in Utah more than a couple of times and survived.

+1

One of those "why didn't I think of that before" ideas. Me likes. Thanks for sharing, they are now on my list.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #23
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,866
Quote:
i think the doubletake mirror is perfect for some applications - just not mine. both of them folded in will block my view of the instruments (i do mileage for enduro/dualsport trailcrew) and/or interfere with my GPS on a third RAM mount. but it's a great idea for a casual dualsport bike. i can imagine that it would provide a great, stable reflection.
FYI, these mirrors actually work. You can tell what bike is behind you on a thumper.
I used one on my bike in a recent roadbook fun race... roadbook, gps, trip all there and it tucked nicely and did not block any of the above.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #24
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad
best mirror i have had yet.... never have to touch it for any reason (street or hard/fast trail riding). i just hit a tree head on in the trails the other day at probly 20 mph and i slid up whacking my crotch and legs on the bars. glass broke but none fell out yet and that was about 500 miles ago. i'm getting another one asap.
And with the DoubleTakeMirrors, you can replace just the lens. Whowouldathunkofthat?!

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw

Wings screwed with this post 04-23-2010 at 07:31 PM
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #25
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
i agree both are slick.
i have ken sean's that i think i'm gonna sell and get those doubletakes for the dr as i ride it alot on the street.

for you guys on street legal dirtbikes, do you even uses mirrors????
i just turn my head anyway.

my xr400 was street legal an i used a simple folding acerbis mirror as i did not care about having a mirror to see, just had it in case a cop stopped me. seems like the hdb fold out mirror is the same concept.
it's there mostly for the cops.

now for the big ktm adv, factory dual-sports etc., doubletakes are perfect mirrors.
I use my mirror on the little thumper a lot. So much so, I'm thinking about adding a second one. I absolutely hate not knowing who might be behind me about to rear end me. With the little mirror I had before, it vibrated so much all I could see was there was something back there. I've got the long arm mount. Now I can see clearly (bad tunes inserted here) what's behind me and at what distance. It's peace of mind in case I feel like bailing out. Wouldn't be the first time a motorcyclist got killed by getting rear-ended. I still turn my head a lot for lane changes etc, but it's sure nice to have a mirror that works. And it tucks away very nicely without obstructing the view of any instruments on the trail (sorry it's filthy in the pics, didn't have a chance to knock the dirt off yet from the last ride).

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #26
searchin oz
Sand, Gimme more sand

Oddometer: 1,169
For those using the Dual Star set up, when you finally break the glass, replace with a piece of No8 Stainless (mirror finish). That goes with any mirror really.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #27
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
And with the DoubleTakeMirrors, you can replace just the lens. Whowouldathunkofthat?!

Region Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #28
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Very nice, I should try these.

Right now, running $5 Chinese mirrors off of Ebay so I can see behind myself on DR650, stock mirrors were useless for anything other than looking at myself. These are so cheap, they are disposable, but they refuse to break after repeated crashes. I may have to replace them due to aesthetic reasons as the cheap chrome rusts at just a glance from a moist eye.

But at $5 apiece,... I can live with the goofy as Hell look of them.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,240
I broke both my mirrors last fall and I'm going to buying some new ones soon. I like all the options shown here. The thing is a pair of OEM mirrors is less than $50. Are these mirros really worth the extra money?

-Spencer
Old 04-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #30
ganshert
not sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerCompton
I broke both my mirrors last fall and I'm going to buying some new ones soon. I like all the options shown here. The thing is a pair of OEM mirrors is less than $50. Are these mirros really worth the extra money?

-Spencer
They won't break like the OEM ones so my conclusion was yes, they are worth it.