Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #31
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganshert
They won't break like the OEM ones so my conclusion was yes, they are worth it.

I don't do much hardcore single track. I mainly just commute to school/work and fire roads. I've put the bike down before at about 40mph and plenty of times at lower speeds bt nothing ever happened to them. A cage got the best of me last fall at about 55mph and thats what broke my previous set. I don't think any type of glass could of survived that crash though...
Old 04-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #32
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerCompton
I don't do much hardcore single track. I mainly just commute to school/work and fire roads. I've put the bike down before at about 40mph and plenty of times at lower speeds bt nothing ever happened to them. A cage got the best of me last fall at about 55mph and thats what broke my previous set. I don't think any type of glass could of survived that crash though...
I'm pretty sure I'll manage to bust the glass sooner or later-although as long as I remember to tuck it away, I think it's protected pretty well. Now in a street crash-I think you're right. I remember mine and there wasn't much that didn't bust. But at least the reflectors can be replaced...and the mirror stalks are guaranteed against breakage. Bonus

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #33
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,102
Huh. Makes me wonder... When I bought my LC4 it had a mirror like doubletakedad (?). Well, i had *most* of the mirror. I wanted a mirror so I pulled one of of one of my 30 yr old Honda XL's and its worked great! I've ridden TONS of logging roads, lots of rough single track, dropped the bike a time or two , t-boned a deer at about 40 mph, conked it on trees / logs as I went under, and it still hasnt broken (knocking on wood). It does tend to "wander" at highway speeds, but I'm pretty sure thats just cause I ride a paintshaker.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #34
Mojaveboxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
At a loss why you would even use mirrors on the trail and I can't see anything while on the street as they are vibrating too much. On the trail I normally just take them off. Nothing back there I need to see or know about. When I stop, just turn around on the bike to ensure no one stuffs you.

Do like the ones that can survive a crash though and are more adustable. Still think they would vibe so bad all you see is blur behind you.
Mojaveboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #35
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojaveboxer
Still think they would vibe so bad all you see is blur behind you.

Pretty sure everyone that's using the doubletake's have said that you can see well out of them...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #36
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojaveboxer
At a loss why you would even use mirrors on the trail and I can't see anything while on the street as they are vibrating too much. On the trail I normally just take them off. Nothing back there I need to see or know about. When I stop, just turn around on the bike to ensure no one stuffs you.

Do like the ones that can survive a crash though and are more adustable. Still think they would vibe so bad all you see is blur behind you.
You use the mirror on the way to and from the trail, then tuck them for on trail use.
As stated earlier, I use the mirror on my 530. I can see out of it as nice as the stock with the advantage of being able to move it out of the way. You assumption of it vibrating too much is wrong. (I had my doubts too) Ned did extensive testing on this or else would have not sold it. Definitely a functioning mirror.

Also, I forgot to tuck it on a recent ride and whacked a desert bush/branch doing about 30. It just moved in. Stock or similar would have been in pieces. The clamping of the RAM system damped the hit so it just moved in slightly without a fast swing in. Surprising, the glass in tact.
All good in my book.
c.vestal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #37
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,851
a snippet from his vendor thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro

Third, the joints are stiff enough to hold the mirror at triple digit speeds, but will move if they are struck, which protects you from injury and your bike from damage. I'm sure it is possible to break the mirror, but I haven't succeeded yet and I've tried pretty hard, going so far as to race an enduro with the mirror in place. The body is made from 43% glass filled Zytel, which is really tough stuff.

Other benefits:
- Easy to remove the mirror entirely- just loosen the RAM arm, and remove it along with the mirror.
- Convex lens- we used SAE spec convex glass that provides a nicer field of view than a flat piece would, while retaining the ability to focus on details. Are those Crown Victoria headlights, or can I speed up?
- Universal fit- You can easily swap the mirrors between bikes.
- Can be positioned further out than a stock mirror, resulting in seeing more of what is behind you and less of your elbow.

The mirror is available here, and it costs $25. If you need RAM components, we also stock and sell the parts you'll need for your bike.
c.vestal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #38
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,942
Thanks for this thread. I now know which mirrors are going on my FGS!
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #39
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
What is the length of the arm that attaches to the mirror.....not the 3" or 2" mount,but the actual arm that the mirror is attached to?.

Yes,it's an old thread.....still needs to answered though!....TIA.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #40
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 834
I measure ~8 1/8" center of ball to outside edge of mirror or ~6 1/8" center of mirror to center of ball or 4" center of ball to inner edge of mirror, is that what you were looking for?
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #41
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,102
Wow. Old thread. Update on my 30+ yr old mirror- I got rear ended last winter. Mirror still aint broke.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote