User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
F800GS synthetic oil?

I just hit 4500 miles. I just did an oil and oil filter change with BMW brand 10W-40 and BMW oil filter. I'm thinking of running 2-3000 more miles on this new oil and then switching to synthetic. Thoughts? Anyone else running synthetic in their F800GS? I know the manual specs standard non-synthetic mineral oil, but I like the idea of synthetic. I ran Motul 7100 in my KLR's with great results.

The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,730
I'm using Amsoil. Shifts smooth. Seems quieter. All the endorsements and grade details seem to be in order. Made in the USA.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
mobil 1 in mine quieter and smoother shifting
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Amsoil. May try others as well. Used Motul in my KTM and Husaberg and ran trouble free as well.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
I'll be up for my 6000 miler next week and tend to change my oil every 3000 miles on everything I own. I've been looking into Amsoil as well but have never used it.

The Amsoil customer service rep suggested their 20w-50 for our temps here in Las Vegas and the desert and he told me it does not harm the warranty and that it has a superior rating for the wet clutch, whatever that means.

One of my best friends works at the BMW dealership here and suggested I wait until about 18k miles before switching to synthetic because even though the engines are past the initial break-in period, they are still breaking in for an extended period beyond that. Sounds plausible and I know he's not trying to get me to buy dealership oil. That could just be his opinion but he's spent a lifetime on motorcycles and I'm only four months and 6000 miles experienced with them.

Probably one of the those topics that cause arguments on the forum but it would be nice to get a more definitive answer.

Also, since our dealer supposedly only can get WHITE filters, I went ahead and bought a few of the K&N-164's for the F800 that are black as they should be and have a 17 mm nut on the end for convenience; $14.99 at CycleGear.

Looking for answers too....

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
johngil
Reseda, CA

I made the switch @ 6,000 miles, but chose 10-40. In my un-educated opinion, whatever was going to happen in the motor has happened by the 6,000 mile mark.

My dealer stocks both the silver and black filters. White?

I have no idea what (in miles) these bikes are capable of. I usually get rid of my race bikes every other year. This bike is a different story. I guess I'm under the impression the synthetic oil will extend engine like. I'm getting a fair deal w/ Amsoil, so why not?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Here's a PDF document evaluating Motorcycle oils dated and certified June 2009; I found it on an Amsoil related website but it is full of information:

http://www.performanceoiltechnology....aper_g2156.pdf

I read it and it sounds pretty convincing but then again I'm in the film and television business and we spend millions getting people to believe something that is entirely fabricated is real.

Those of you using Amsoil are you part of their dealer program or just consumers?

Yes, ugly ass white filters, maybe they are light gray but it looks like crap on an all black engine. Maybe the service guy is just trying to get rid of what they have and while it really shouldn't matter the color of an oil filter, I've invested a lot into personalizing my bike and the only other color I want on it is the color of the sand, mud, dirt, silt or burro dung I run through.

Thanks!

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
johngil
Reseda, CA

I'm not part of the network. I think Amsoil has satisfied my questions, and I'm happy w/ the prices I am getting.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStar
Here's a PDF document evaluating Motorcycle oils dated and certified June 2009; I found it on an Amsoil related website but it is full of information:

http://www.performanceoiltechnology....aper_g2156.pdf

I read it and it sounds pretty convincing but then again I'm in the film and television business and we spend millions getting people to believe something that is entirely fabricated is real.

Those of you using Amsoil are you part of their dealer program or just consumers?

Yes, ugly ass white filters, maybe they are light gray but it looks like crap on an all black engine. Maybe the service guy is just trying to get rid of what they have and while it really shouldn't matter the color of an oil filter, I've invested a lot into personalizing my bike and the only other color I want on it is the color of the sand, mud, dirt, silt or burro dung I run through.

Thanks!

RobStar

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
Nice! Don't think I haven't thought about it! After this weekend I'll have 6000 and I'm switching to the K&N-164 filters which will allow me to lose the filter wrench from my tool kit and I'm switching to Amsoil 20w-50.

2010 1200GS Adventure
Old 07-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
I'm switching to the K&N-164 filters which will allow me to lose the filter wrench from my tool kit and I'm switching to Amsoil 20w-50.
Not knocking anyone's personal choice here but, make sure that regardless of what oil and/or filter you use, it is listed for use on your particular application from the manufacturer and/or complies with the manufacturer listed specification.

There are verified and independent situations where warranty issues have arisen as a result.

Caveat Emptor.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 AM   #12
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Made the switch today to Amsoil 20w50 and the KN-164 filter at 6000 miles.

Interesting how much fine metal dust was on the drain plug magnet; not excessive I don't think but it was coated. The last oil and filter change was at 3000 miles and the oil seemed pretty dirty to me. Gave it plenty of time to drain well and also tilted the bike over as far as I could to get as much of the old oil out as possible. It took 3.5 quarts to fill.

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
Old 07-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Made the switch today to Amsoil 20w50 and the KN-164 filter at 6000 miles.

Interesting how much fine metal dust was on the drain plug magnet; not excessive I don't think but it was coated. The last oil and filter change was at 3000 miles and the oil seemed pretty dirty to me. Gave it plenty of time to drain well and also tilted the bike over as far as I could to get as much of the old oil out as possible. It took 3.5 quarts to fill.

RobStar

Careful to not overfill. Have you checked it with the engine hot since putting in 3.5?

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
Your a half quart over filled. It's 3. No more.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Hmmmmm

Thanks Frank and DolphinJohn!

Yes, I've checked it hot twice now; the first time right after the change letting it idle until the fan comes on and the second time just a few minutes ago after two hours riding in our lovely 100+ deg F temps here in Vegas.

The oil level reading on the dip stick is up to the point where it is covering the MAX letters on the dip stick about 3/16" past the line.

Guess I need to siphon a little out?

UPDATE: Rather than chance a problem I went ahead and siphoned enough out to get it exactly to the MAX line on the stick.

Maybe a stupid question but what is the issue if you're a 8-16 oz overfilled?

Thanks!

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure

RobStar screwed with this post 07-21-2009 at 07:30 PM