User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
LVGS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
'09 F800GS with 71k kms - concerns?

I am seriously considering the purchase of an '09 F800GS with approximately 71k Kms or 44k miles. The bike has had 2 previous owners and comes with a complete service history. Additionally, there is 1.5 years remaining on a third party warranty. I am looking at it for a trip to Inuvik and Alaska in 2015 ie. As opposed to my R1200GS, anticipating it will be easier to ride in more severe off-road conditions.

I am most familiar with boxers and wouldn't really think twice about buying one with this mileage and history. However, I am uncertain as to whether this is considered high for a F twin and concerned this is close(r) to 'end of life'.

So my friends, would you consider buying one and if so, under what circumstances?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.
LVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,846
It's been asked before quite a few times so search will help answer it, if not Google search.

My F8 has the same mileage. I'd have no issue with taking it anywhere. If cared for these engines go on like a boxer. The highest we've seen here is 200 K kms but there are a few at 100 K MILES. Those guys are too busy riding to post up.

While the mileage isn't a concern for the informed, it's hard to sell one like that so it's more about getting it at a good price.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
LVGS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
It's been asked before quite a few times so search will help answer it, if not Google search.

My F8 has the same mileage. I'd have no issue with taking it anywhere. If cared for these engines go on like a boxer. The highest we've seen here is 200 K kms but there are a few at 100 K MILES. Those guys are too busy riding to post up.

While the mileage isn't a concern for the informed, it's hard to sell one like that so it's more about getting it at a good price.
Thanks. The general consensus is, so long it has a well documented and comprehensive service history, its a safe bet.

However, you hit the nail on the head i.e. when time to sell with upwards of 90k kms, will I be able to get rid of it.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,052
Thumb Question & Answers

Hey LVGS,

Your northern friend in BC.. You will be very surprised how easy Alaska is on a 1200GS. I've been on every road in the Yukon/Alaska in the past 13 years. I have always done it on my GSA'S with no issues at all. I love the bike for the long distances, stability, fuel range and the fact I don't have to deal with a chain drive. It's just fill with gas and go, I've ridden up to 1500KM in a day. Not saying you can't do this on a 800GS, but just trying to save you from buying a bike when you have one that will do it with no issues.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Merry Christmas,
Rick
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
LVGS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildala2000 View Post
Hey LVGS,

Your northern friend in BC.. You will be very surprised how easy Alaska is on a 1200GS. I've been on every road in the Yukon/Alaska in the past 13 years. I have always done it on my GSA'S with no issues at all. I love the bike for the long distances, stability, fuel range and the fact I don't have to deal with a chain drive. It's just fill with gas and go, I've ridden up to 1500KM in a day. Not saying you can't do this on a 800GS, but just trying to save you from buying a bike when you have one that will do it with no issues.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Merry Christmas,
Rick
Rick, old friend, its good to hear from you! Funnily enough, I have been watching your threads in the Vendors section anticipating I will be 'farkling' up with Kildala when I pick up an F800.

I understand exactly what you are saying. I've ridden the R1200GS up and down the west coast, from Alaska to Mexico. However, there were times after a long day riding a heavy/laden bike, I really wish I had something lighter. I also road a couple of F800GSs through really difficult gravel and was very impressed how easy they were to ride...did wonders for my confidence.

Take care and look forward to meeting in person when you are down this way next.

LVGS
Old 12-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,052
Thumb

Hey,
If your looking for a 800 GS check out Blackfoot motorsports in Calgary. I checked the web site and I see they have a few 13/14 800 GS's with very low miles for almost the price of a used one.
Hope to meet you some day, maybe on your way up to Alaska.
Rick
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote