Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
arkridergc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Wink Mt. Nebo State Park Arkansas

A little Ride report on Mt. Nebo State Park

So I got off work this morning and get home to find my new Pentax W90 camera ordered especially for my TAT adventure this summer all charged up and ready to shoot. My partner in matrimonial bliss

suggests I take advantage of the sunshine before the rains come in this weekend and my trusty steed was already warmed up

(yes I know it’s a street bike but the WRR knows its way to Nebo too and this was an adventure after all)
So I head over the river to Dardanelle to check on a little remodeling project my brother in law is doing for me.

Looks like the project is more of a demolishion but man I hate to stop a guy this ethusiastic about his work!
So after taking stock of the progress I decided to make a little run up to Mt. Nebo State Park, which was just around the corner, and try out some vista and gratuitous bike shots while the sun was shining on such a beautiful day. Tonight at work I’m really am going to miss the sleep I’m NOT getting but as someone once said” There’ll be plenty of time to sleep when you’re dead.”
Maybe I’m biased, as I’m sure most of us are about our home stomping grounds, but in all my various wanderings, I haven’t been many places much prettier than the100 mile radius of where I grew up and live today.

Mt. Nebo State park is 15 miles from my front door and has a lot of great memories for me. I have trampled, pedaled, and generally lolled away many a fine hour on this little piece of real estate. Nebo has had quite a history thru the years and became a state park during the big push during the Roosevelt era to preserve our US natural landscapes and Mt. Nebo at 1800 ft was already set up as a resort spot so it was a natural shoe in for park status.

CCC Cabin

View from this cabin
The CCC built cabins and trails much like what was going on in White Rock Mountain, Arkansas (home of the SLAP), Tennessee, North Carolina and all across the US. We take it for granted these days but we should really be thankful for all blood and sweat that went into passing these places on down to us and or children.

On the way up the mountain you come to this overlook called the “Bench Trail Overlook”

The bench trail is a 4 mile loop around the mountain where we come to ride our mountain bikes when it 95 degrees down in the valley. It’s always 8 to 10 degrees cooler up here.

It starts here and comes out at the Bench trail overlook in the earlier pic I showed you.. For you mountain bikers, this is a sweet fast trail and a couple of laps around will be all you want. Not a lot of technical stuff but you can crash hard, pretzel wheels and see imaginary birdies. I hereby testify to that. Lots of fun but sorry, no motorcycles although you might have to dodge a horse or bear turd now and then. You’ve been warned!
Further up the mountain you’ll find Sunrise point on one end and Sunset point on the other.

That darned bike keeps sneaking nto all the pictures!

What a camera hog!

Private home but most owners will rent them out.

This house has witnessed many humans attempting to fly off the cliffs here.
Sunrise point is a real popular place for the hang glider crowd because of the thermals that come up from the valley. They can stay up a looong time although I hear lately the state has discouraged if not prohibited jumping off the state owned sections of the bluffs. There are still some private properties that can be used with the owner’s permission.

I love how the owners take pride in their properties.

View from yellow house's back porch.
On the other end of the mountain is Sunset point.

This place, along with that special significant other, and just the right sunset has been known to cause a few births!
As a geographical reference to just exactly where Mt. Nebo is, just look for this as you travel on I-40 and look further south.
(
Smoke signal say injuns on warpath!
About midway between Sunrise and Sunset points is this old 2 story house that I have always admired.

I overnighted here as a college student with a campus church group. It wasn’t as nice then but the two gentlemen on the porch have been slowly renovating the place since 2006.
At the visitors center you can rent bikes and pick up snacks.

Bike rentals and view from back of visitor's center.
Behind the visitors center is one of the entrances to the Rim trail.

This trail is a little shorter and higher up from the Bench trail and is foot traffic only but it’s really cool.

There is a campground on the mountain just as you reach the top with electrical and water hook ups, a playground and a swimming pool. There’s also the occasional begger around.

Don’t bring any campers longer than 24 ft up here. You’ll see why in a minute!
Did I mention that you are at 1800 feet and you are on a big iron loaded rock so if it storms, ya might not want to stand under the trees!

I'd say this tree has a strong will to live!

Did I mention that the road up the mountain is curvy and wicked steep? It’s absolutely killer on a bicycle!

These pics were fun! Now you understand why no trailers bigger than 24 ft. Did you notice the gouge marks in the pavement?

Mt. Nebo is an hour away from Mt. Magazine to the west which has Arkansas’s highest point in elevation and it is 45 minutes away from Mt. Petit Jean State Park to the east which I think was one of if not the first state park in the nation and has the most camping facilities of all three parks. Russellville and Dardanelle are the nearby towns each with Wally worlds and eateries. For you street only folks, its pavement all the way at any of these three parks but there are plenty of dirt roads and trails as well, especially around Mt. Magazine which has very good dual sport exploits..

Mt. Magazine horse trail

Cameron Bluffs, Mt Magazine
Hope you've enjoyed this as much as I have.
SLAP at White Rock in 31/2 weeks!
Gary
Two Brothers on Two50's ride Colorado
'09 Yamaha WR250r, '08 Harley Davidson Road Glide

arkridergc screwed with this post 04-23-2010 at 08:21 AM
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,749
Nice report. Great pictures. I'm new to the area but have been on Nebo twice so far. Pretty place it is....
Old 04-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,478
Please change the black print

Can't read the print but pic's are nice.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 13,644
Hey Mike, did you know that if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find a "skins" window that will allow you change the way the pages you view look? It's called a style chooser I think

Sometimes I change so I can read something that is obscured by the skin I use. But I have to agreee "black" letters aren't my favorite for viewing either.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
You can highlight the text and read it too.

Great Report!
I need to get out there with the Mrs and kids.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
arkridergc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup

Hey thanks to all and I'm sorta new at this RR stuff but I'll keep the font color in mind. And yes I don't get up there as much as I should lately.
GC
Two Brothers on Two50's ride Colorado
'09 Yamaha WR250r, '08 Harley Davidson Road Glide
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 28,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup
I use the white screen for ADV and this morning, all his text was black..now its yellow and I cant see it..good thing I read it when it was readable!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,068
Beautiful Wife, beautiful bike and a great ride!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 28,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin
Beautiful Wife, beautiful bike and a great ride!
thats what I was thinking too but didnt want it to come across that I was hittin on his wife, like you!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,284
Nebo rocks..........................love the place.

An old friend clued me into it about 8 years ago.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:48 AM   #11
apostle2
The road less traveled.

Oddometer: 196
Cry

Well I'm exacerbated that you didn't invite me. So remember the next time...."have motorcycle, will travel".

And yes, exacerbated is a real word, and yes it is a big word for me, but no is doesn't mean what I thought it did the first time I read it.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,478
I do now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie
Hey Mike, did you know that if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find a "skins" window that will allow you change the way the pages you view look? It's called a style chooser I think

Sometimes I change so I can read something that is obscured by the skin I use. But I have to agreee "black" letters aren't my favorite for viewing either.
Nope but thanks, that works great.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote