User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
flht_db OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Stuck in Yukon! Dreaded Final Drive Leak

So heading south from AK coming into Haines Junction got a brake failure, back was a little soft but was dark and moving ok. So I got to Haines Junction and checked this am.

Rear tire and wheel and all covered in oil. Pulled the wheel added more oil see if it was a slow leak. Drove it up the block and pumping oil out.

Called BMW and they say nearest dealer is over 1k miles and won't cover to there. I told them Alaska is 600, they won't go through countries.

Have a flatbed coming up from whitehorse and will probably get a u-haul from there and drive back to the states. Maybe home.

Any other ideas?

DB

cell is 609 ---- 203 ---- 5631
2006 Ridley Autoglide (Wife's)
flht_db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht_db View Post

Called BMW and they say nearest dealer is over 1k miles and won't cover to there. I told them Alaska is 600, they won't go through countries.

Any other ideas?

DB

cell is 609 ---- 203 ---- 5631
won't go through countries?, that's BS. i saw a 12GS on a rollback that was being hauled from Dawson to Anchorage when i stopped for fuel in Chicken a few years back. BMW was covering 100% of the tow charge according to the very unhappy owner.

better call BMW again.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Andrewmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I spoke to BMW Motorrad roadside assistance, they told me they should be able to tow you to the nearest dealership in Canada, but they confirmed they can't transport across the border to our shop. Make sure you take advantage of BMW's trip interruption service and keep your receipts. They will often cover lodging and other expenses incurred when you are stuck.

I don't represent BMW, so take this all with a grain of salt, but they will take care of you as best they can.

Andrew

The Motorcycle Shop
907-561-1165
Andrewmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,682
Call Trails End in Fairbanks or The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage. When I lived in Fairbanks I know they hauled people out of Canada.

Trails End used their own trailer to pick-up at least one bike in Canada that I know of
Old 08-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,211
Still under factory warrenty? If so id be making more calls!
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,390
tell 'em you're going to drive it anyway & see what they say
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
Wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
What are the ferry prices???? VS U Haul Prices??? Truck it to Haines......take the ferry and get it fixed in WA and ride home.

Then on your next trip to Alaska........ride your Harley.
Wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
fbxrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I'm not shilling for Allstate, but they have a road side assistance program called RV Road Help. The towing benefit is to the nearest authorized repair center regardless of mileage. I called once to see if they could come get me in Deadhorse and they said it was part of what I pay for. I have a friend that runs a towing outfit in Fairbanks and he has been dispatched to Whitehorse more than once by Allstate.
None of us expect to breakdown, but this plan gives me the assurance that if I do I'm not going to be footing the bill. It is not exactly cheap, but neither is a rollback.
fbxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbxrider View Post
I'm not shilling for Allstate, but they have a road side assistance program called RV Road Help. The towing benefit is to the nearest authorized repair center regardless of mileage. I called once to see if they could come get me in Deadhorse and they said it was part of what I pay for. I have a friend that runs a towing outfit in Fairbanks and he has been dispatched to Whitehorse more than once by Allstate.
None of us expect to breakdown, but this plan gives me the assurance that if I do I'm not going to be footing the bill. It is not exactly cheap, but neither is a rollback.
+1

Only $99 a year.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
flht_db OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies and thanks to Andrew, I had to push but the bike is now in Edmonton and hopefully it can be looked at tomorrow (Holiday today). And maybe back on the road in the next day. At that point it will be a straight shot home.

Guess I will have to plan another trip up and back. I did make it over TOW, Dalton, and Dinali, just not the full ride and not the Ultimate CC.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,272
Quote:
... and thanks to Andrew, I had to push but the bike is now in Edmonton ...
That's a long way to push a bike. Shame on you, Andrew.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
flht_db OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
That's a long way to push a bike. Shame on you, Andrew.
Nice!! Just reread, Thanks to Andrew telling me should be covered (after BMW told me no) and to push BMW harder, which I did, and bike was towed to Edmonton.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,272
Quote:
Nice!!
Yeah, I got it the first time. Now if you would just delete the rest of your last post down to this quote ...
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Your situation is a reminder that riding with the Spousal Unit is a good thing. No one can cut thru a bureaucratic morass quicker than an assertive woman.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
the1mavin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbxrider View Post
I just tried this - from Ice Cut on the Dalton (about 400 miles north of Fairbanks). I've been a member for about 10 years.

After talking to the Allstate people in India and being hung up on six times, I finally gave up and called a tow company directly.

No way for me to say if they were hanging up on me intentionally or not of course. Every call back I had to start over with a new rep. I rang up over $100 in charges on a borrowed sat phone.

We'll see if they decide to reimburse me or not.
the1mavin is online now   Reply With Quote