User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
KSO OP
Grab a Handfull

Oddometer: 47
Dempster Fishing

Wondering what are some good places to fish while traveling along the Dempster? Won't be making that trip till next June. So what type of tackle? Certain flys? Hot spots?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
On Dempster Highway, Canadian fish catches YOU.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,485
I never thought about fishing but then again I only spent the required time.

Should go to the Canada form and ask. Just make sure you find out what the CDN regs are; if they are like Alaska, you could find yourself in jail.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
aufevermike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I have heard somewhere that our licenses reciprocate with each others.Might want to check in on that though….oh never mind, the OP is from Idaho.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
sue.t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
If one is a Yukoner, they can purchase an Alaska fishing licence for the same cost as an Alaskan, which is nice. Alaska fishing licences are expensive for non-Alaskans.

Yukon fishing licences aren't so expensive.

Do be sure to get a licence, we've met Conservation Officers in very out of the way locations, they were looking! My husband was fishing from the kayak on a small lake and when he returned they asked for his licence, which he had left in the RV just 20' away. He got a good lecture for not having it with him on the lake.
sue.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
KSO OP
Grab a Handfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue.t View Post
If one is a Yukoner, they can purchase an Alaska fishing licence for the same cost as an Alaskan, which is nice. Alaska fishing licences are expensive for non-Alaskans.

Yukon fishing licences aren't so expensive.

Do be sure to get a licence, we've met Conservation Officers in very out of the way locations, they were looking! My husband was fishing from the kayak on a small lake and when he returned they asked for his licence, which he had left in the RV just 20' away. He got a good lecture for not having it with him on the lake.
Thanks for the information. When its time I will purchase a BC license.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Oddometer: 125
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSO View Post
Wondering what are some good places to fish while traveling along the Dempster? Won't be making that trip till next June. So what type of tackle? Certain flys? Hot spots?
Many northern BC and Yukon rivers are good producers of Arctic Greyling, which are easy to bring to the right fly and wicked tasty cooked fresh on the campfire. I judge a river by the current conditions and just deciding the moment I look at it: moderate flow, relatively clear water, fish able from shore safely, area elevation, and the number of bugs present. A dry line with bead head nymphs or a fast sink tip in faster flow works every time. The prince nymph is a no fail fly, on the route from Fort Nelson to Dawson. With the right conditions a lot of fun can be had with tiny dry fly caddis patterns. My work takes be to remote areas of northern BC and the Yukon, and I never worry about concerning myself with the fish history of a creek on route as I would with a lake or ocean trip, and I keep a fly rod in it's case rigged with a prince nymph or halfback at all times when traveling. Nothing breaks up a 5 to 12 hour drive like stopping for 20 minutes to an hour to catch several greyling. Even the tiny creeks, from Fort Nelson to the Arctic circle can yield a lot of small greyling. There is one spot on the Dempster that produced many fish years ago, and hopefully those creeks will start clearing soon.

If the creek has good volume and accessible attractive holding areas for fish, throw on a large attractor fly and get a firm grip on the rod just in case.
Fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
KSO OP
Grab a Handfull

Sounds good. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
DempsterResearch
Researcher

Oddometer: 18
The Mckenzie Delta

The The Mckenzie Delta is pretty amazing for fishing. If you can spend some time there and have the opportunity to get a guide or rent a boat, it is definitely worth it. The most common spices are northern pike (jackfish), Arctic grayling, lake trout, burbot, bull trout and Arctic char.

I work for NWT Tourism and Parks. If you need more information, contact me via PM.

And if you allow some shameless self-promotion, we are currently doing a Dempster Adventure Motorcycle Survey. It has it's own thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953894

You can find info there and the link to fill-out the survey and have the opportunity to win some camping gear.
DempsterResearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
DempsterResearch
Researcher

Oddometer: 18
Hi KSO,

Sorry for the late response. I can't send you a PM for some reason. I would suggest contacting Kylik at Up North Tours (http://upnorthtours.ca/). They do guided day trips and they are highly recommended. Arctic Chalet is another option (http://www.arcticchalet.com/index.php) although I'm not sure that they do day activities. If you decide to fly out to Tuk, there's Chuck Gruben (chuckgruben@hotmail.com)...

The town of Inuvik has a new tourism website (http://www.destinationinuvik.com) and you can contact them for more information...

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers
DempsterResearch is offline   Reply With Quote