ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #76
Gale B.T. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,456
Hello again there Thomas.clark hope all goes well with you and yours.

Thanks for the smiles you have given all of us with your report on that now famous ride you and the others put together with CACK.

IF you ever see Tete Jaune Cache in the day light you will get a smile as there is no neighborhood, just lots of houses way off the road and what's left of the motel/gas/cafe at the junction of 16 and 5. You could have enjoyed those open pipes on CACK and maybe upset only a bull moose that may have mistaken you and CACK for something sexy!!!

The above cafe sits right on the edge of the Fraser River which runs from just out of Jasper all the way to Vancouver, BC. The big 50 pound chinook salmon make the swim from Vancouver and spawn in September /October right in front of the outdoor eating area. An awesome sight to see.

Wanna go???? Sandy and I will be your free guides!!!

ride smart, gale

Gale B.T. screwed with this post 08-26-2010 at 12:49 PM Reason: info/spelling
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #77
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T.
Our camp site was on Quartz Lake, just below the ridge, our camp elevation was just in the timber line , around 10,500 for this part of the divide.

WE had the time to solve all worldly problems, lots of sharing what our families had enjoyed this year, our trips, etc. We really enjoyed some of the 'tales' Vermin had of his trip deep into the canyons of Mexico.

That led to the realization that many ADV rider types were truly involved in the arrival of CACK from the snowey back yard of SUBYBAJA in Alaska to Colorado Springs where Vermin picked up his beloved set of wheels.

Vermin told of his true heros, those that we remembered( you must not be upset if we missed you, my brain is old, Vermin had never lived at this elevation for 4 days, only in his last 747 flight was he anywhere close to this altitude, that is his excuse and he is sticking to it).

Ok, back to the true HEROs or those "Magicians " as Vermin called youall!!

I will try to put into the printed word what we discussed those evening , forgive if I lose the proper order of Magicians!! Forgive me if I missed any one, I truly hope not.!!

We start with 1.Subybaja and his tending to Cack all winter,
2.Thomas.clark that Florida boy(go FSU) that volunteered to begin the trip back to Spokane.
3.Alcan Rider who devoted many hours to getting that U of Florida boy on the road safely and in the right direction. did I say go FSU???
4.GISDood in Prince George took Cack and Thomas into a nice warm house and along with Brandi took care of feeding and supplying sleeping quarters for CAck and Thomas , even riding all the way to Jasper with Thomas. Neither of them gave a loud 'YAHOOOOOOOOO for gale" as they rode through Tete Jaune Cache!!!
5 &6.Live2Ride and Dillon in Spokane,new rubber, oil and filter change/work and taking care of RYANISMYNAME as he flies into Spokane to ride Cack to California

7.Ryanismyname, sneaking his SO's iphone to keep track of Thomas while his SO pretended to be asleep

TrailDoc in San Diego who dropped all his work in ER and rode Cack over to Phoenix to make the last hand off to Isuace.

Isuace and his ride to Colorado Springs. Isuace wanted that CACK, with all those signatures to sit in his front drive for a week or so just as a special effect for his neighborhood, the parking of that machine was the greatest happening since Santa Clause!!

Naturally Gator Jane who kept each and all of us on task and up to snuff!!

We enjoyed all the BS that we told at Quartz Lake that evening and the next few also. We are still amazed at the MAGIC that all of the above and those that I have missed or forgot in pulling this bike ride off. The mile by mile support of all you inmates across Mother Earth that encouraged each and all in this event.

I just wished to let all know that if your "ears were ringing" we were enjoying each and all the effort that makes things like this really happen.

gale
and from the rest of us who had the pleasure of reading this magnificent, uh er interesting tale of MAGIC, I thank you all for the doing and the telling. BTW, many of us learned not to read Vermin tales and drink at the same time.

But back to Gale's tale, please continue sir.
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #78
Gale B.T. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dirt color ride,180 miler

Gmanz and Gmanzwifee on the GS and Sandy and yours truly on the 640. We are riding the CDT on CO 250 South to North, cause LittleWan and BigWan are doing the entire CDT N to S after riding the PCT all the way up. Also LittleWan is doing a truely amazing RR on their trip and no way will I even think of posting a pic that she may have.

Platoro Lodge , famous to us locals here for awesome food.

In 1994 after retiring from coaching/teacing at Tete Jaune Cache, BC, I move to Pagosa Springs. The first fall I rode my only bike at that time ,1982 R800RT, down this part of the CDT to eat at Platoro and see the color. My homemade hamburger bun, hand formed meat patty were served on a platter, not a plate,all the fixings, and the entire platter covered with home made french fries.!!! One huge belly stretcher!! So many folks threw away so much of those meals, the cafe cut down to the size below.

Sandy and I were smarter this time, we split the above burger and the single serving of blueberry cobbler pie/ice cream. Once ,before we learned the hard way, we both ordered a serving of cobbler pie. NOT ANY MORE, too much food!!!

Gmanz and wiffee on the way towards Elwood Pass and some critters!!

Gale B.T. screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 06:24 PM
Old 09-25-2010, 07:03 AM   #79
Gale B.T. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Care to guess who is riding that GS?? here's a hint!!

My Brain Hurts!!!

On a cool ride this weekend from Pagosa Springs to Cumbres Pass I felt this pressure on my bald head that became almost debilitating to the operation of my 96'GS I was riding. The pressure got so intense at one point I had to stop and take of my helmet to relieve the pain. My riding buddy took a photo of the distraction. If your riding in cold weather find a head cover that is seamless your brain will thank you for it.

GMANZ

Attached Imageshttp://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1192558449

Old 09-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #80
Gale B.T. OP
Beastly Adventurer

We were approaching the Elwood Pass trail that connect down towards Pagosa and East Fork . Around the curve we are surrounded by over 2000 sheep according to the sheep herder. Our first encounter of this was the blockage of sheep and a very large white Great Pyrenees guard dog barking at us from the road bank, "go easy on my sheep or else"!!! Like this pic.

I flashed back to LittleWan's sheep dance, "Shaun and the sheep dance"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8DFwb3zlDk

SO I ask the Great Pyrenees if Shaun was around and he pointed him out ,that goat in the right forward corner looking at us!! Shaun refused to dance for us on this awesome color ride. Can you spot Shaun???

They did not let us go away with out a gift, yep million of tiny little balls of sheep dung!!! NICE!!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #81
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T.
LittleWan and BigWan are doing the entire CDT N to S after riding the PCT all the way up. and no way will I even think of posting a pic that she may have.
Hi Gale!
Okay, first of all - we want to see EVERY LAST ONE of your beautiful photos! ALL of them. Especially the ones with Sandy.
Don't hold out on your readers!

second of all - a small correction: BigWan and I only did the CDT to New Mexico, and we only did a few days of the PCT (not all the way up!).
I know, I know...it's still alphabet soup... but I don't want you making us out to be completely insane or anything

Nice sheep!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #82
Gale B.T. OP
Beastly Adventurer

[[
Quote:
quote]
quote=LittleWan]Hi Gale!
Okay, first of all - we want to see EVERY LAST ONE of your beautiful photos! ALL of them. Especially the ones with Sandy.
Don't hold out on your readers!

second of all - a small correction: BigWan and I only did the CDT to New Mexico, and we only did a few days of the PCT (not all the way up!).
I know, I know...it's still alphabet soup... but I don't want you making us out to be completely insane or anything

Nice sheep!
I stand corrected, your opening paragraph was so impressive I got my trails/rides mixed up, but regardless that is one fine way to celebrate #13 or what ever, congrats.

Looking forward to the remaining parts of your ride. I will try to keep my color ride current also.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #83
Gale B.T. OP
Beastly Adventurer

WE finish the Summitville/Platoro section and meet up with Todd/Jody as we all head towards Lake City.

Jody is not to relaxed on that GS pillion but is hanging in there like a pro.

This ride to Lake City was so typical of Colorado this time of year.

Sandy and I at the pit stop later the same day.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #84
Gale B.T. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tis the Season

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Everyone from Gale and Sandy!

Ride Safe and Smart :)
Old 12-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #85
Gale B.T. OP
Beastly Adventurer

bumppppiiiiitttttyyyyyy and MERRY CHRISTMAS , HAPPY NEW YEAR to all the ADV boys and girls from us elves here in Pagosa
Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #86
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,178
Great stories, Gale, and fantastic to run into you again.

I saw Gale post in another ride report and remembered that I met someone named Gale in Tete Jaune Cache, BC 29 years ago in August of 1989 on my way riding to Alaska. Here's to the memories, Gale.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #87
Gale B.T. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Great stories, Gale, and fantastic to run into you again.

I saw Gale post in another ride report and remembered that I met someone named Gale in Tete Jaune Cache, BC 29 years ago in August of 1989 on my way riding to Alaska. Here's to the memories, Gale.
Thanks Klay, I look forward to making a reunion out of this. We shall keep in touch and enjoy a ride together, thanks again for that memory of your!!

gale
Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #88
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,970
Wow! I've only read the first page so far, but this is going to be good!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #89
Gale B.T. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Wow! I've only read the first page so far, but this is going to be good!
Coming from you Ben that is considered a compliment. When I read your RR and see your ride to Inuvik in 08 I realize we crossed paths somewhere since we rode the Haul Road to the "Circle" about the same. Also any one driving ice road truck in Eureka has gotta have some neat/wild stories.

thanks again,
Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #90
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,970
Ok, I just finished the whole thing. These are wonderful stories and thank you so much for taking the time to share. I was in Russia before the Iron Curtain came down and your stories about having to account for all your dollars/rubles reminded me of my trip. I remember too that we weren't allowed to take paper money or Russian flags out of the country, but I stuffed a flag down my pants and hid a ten rouble note in my shoe!

I was in the the Mosel Valley in the late '80s, too - will have to see if I can dig up my photos when I next visit my sister (that's where all my crap is stored, I think).

Thanks again Gale, and I very much hope that our paths will cross this summer.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote