Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #16
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 529
Here's my 05. Great Adv bikes. I currently have a Pirelli MT60 110/90x17 on the front Supermoto rim and a Mitas E09 140/80x17 (pic shows mitas E07 but took that off and fitted it to my GS) on the rear supermoto rim for the road based rides here in NZ.

And the dirt wheels for the Adventure trail stuff

XTC screwed with this post 04-28-2010 at 09:51 PM
XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #17
emulzhn
free from crutches

Oddometer: 138
love the 17's... how's handling compared to usual 21/ 18 combo

emulzhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #18
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 621
welcome to team orange!!!
Few things that you should put on your shopping list.. If you are going to be doing tight trails, slow riding, get the 1.8 bar radiator cap. Also you may want to look into the ktm fan kit if you are still overheating and spewing out the radiator overflow. All depends on the riding you do and having correct jetting. The KTM rfs likes to go at least 15mph to keep from boiling over.
Looks like you read DJH's info over on KTM talk. He is the master and knows his stuff. If you are planning on keeping this bike and riding a lot, do not hesitate to have him to the kibblewhite valves and his other magic to the head. He is a master and you can't get it done localy or even yourself for cheaper.. Even with the shipping.
Make sure to read over at ktmtalk about the using the sightglass when filling with oil. The engine takes 1.2 liters of oil. No more. Sometimes the sightglass will barely show the oil when that is added. Some people use the sightglass to tell when it is full. It will lie to you and you will overfill and cause problems.. 1.2 liters and stop. Engine ice is nice, but I have currently switched to a 50/50 mix of Sierra antifreeze and water. I am getting the same results as the engine ice at a fraction of the cost. It was recomended by KTM talk members in the know.
Great job on servicing that swingarm pivot!! Its a much looked over item, and when it gets worn and rusted its a pain in the butt to get the bearings out and replaced. Those suckers seize in there like you would not believe. I know. I bought my KTM used and they had never been serviced in 5 years. Took me 2 days just to get the swingarm bolt out.
Last tip I can remember to give is set the suspension up for your weight.!
Very important for the ktm. Set your sag correct or the bike will not perform well. There is a ton of info on this on ktmtalk.
Great purchase and will be fun to read about your experiences.. I have rebuilt my 450's engine head to toe by myself, have my suspension revalved, sprung and sag set for my weight and style.
Best bike ever!!
wakewop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #19
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 8,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewop
welcome to team orange!!!
Few things that you should put on your shopping list.. If you are going to be doing tight trails, slow riding, get the 1.8 bar radiator cap. Also you may want to look into the ktm fan kit if you are still overheating and spewing out the radiator overflow. All depends on the riding you do and having correct jetting. The KTM rfs likes to go at least 15mph to keep from boiling over.
Looks like you read DJH's info over on KTM talk. He is the master and knows his stuff. If you are planning on keeping this bike and riding a lot, do not hesitate to have him to the kibblewhite valves and his other magic to the head. He is a master and you can't get it done localy or even yourself for cheaper.. Even with the shipping.
Make sure to read over at ktmtalk about the using the sightglass when filling with oil. The engine takes 1.2 liters of oil. No more. Sometimes the sightglass will barely show the oil when that is added. Some people use the sightglass to tell when it is full. It will lie to you and you will overfill and cause problems.. 1.2 liters and stop. Engine ice is nice, but I have currently switched to a 50/50 mix of Sierra antifreeze and water. I am getting the same results as the engine ice at a fraction of the cost. It was recomended by KTM talk members in the know.
Great job on servicing that swingarm pivot!! Its a much looked over item, and when it gets worn and rusted its a pain in the butt to get the bearings out and replaced. Those suckers seize in there like you would not believe. I know. I bought my KTM used and they had never been serviced in 5 years. Took me 2 days just to get the swingarm bolt out.
Last tip I can remember to give is set the suspension up for your weight.!
Very important for the ktm. Set your sag correct or the bike will not perform well. There is a ton of info on this on ktmtalk.
Great purchase and will be fun to read about your experiences.. I have rebuilt my 450's engine head to toe by myself, have my suspension revalved, sprung and sag set for my weight and style.
Best bike ever!!
Great advice....is that 1.2 with or without a filter change? How much for just the oil change?

(I use the sight glass method)
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #20
XTC
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulzhn
love the 17's... how's handling compared to usual 21/ 18 combo
Is great on the road with the 17's. I use the 17" rear for all road and light trail adv rides and only fit the 18" for trail riding or rides where 80% is off road. The 17" has the cush drive so makes the highway miles smoother and the big disc on the 17" front makes hauling her down from 100 mph a breeze. The 17" front will push a little on the gravel at speed but you just get your weight more forward and steer with the rear. Very good combo on the twisty tarsealed back roads. The 110/90x17 Pirelli MT60 that I run on the front is a rear tyre that comes as standard on a honda NXR125 which some of the Farm dealers over here are selling to farmers, The farmers want more aggressive tyres for farm use so you can pick these up new for NZD $10 - 15. Great value IMO. Have found the sand can build up on the rear rim and due to it's width it can cause the wheel to become unbalanced. Stop and scrape it off and all is well again. I have installed an overflow catch bottle on the radiator that hides in the airbox. Have never had any overheating issues....
Andy.

XTC screwed with this post 04-28-2010 at 09:50 PM
Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #21
XTC
Taz

Sorry to hijack thre thread but here's a rear rack I made for it also....

Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #22
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 621
Its 1 liter without filter change,, 1.2 liter with filter change.
There is a LOT of talk about it on KTMtalk. Head on over there and read all about it. There are some interesting discoveries.. In my bike, the siteglass shows about a fingernail worth of oil in the glass with exactly 1.2 L after a filter change.. Oh, and remember to pull your screens and clean them with each oil change.. And dont strip out those bolts.!!!!! But Im shure you have read all about that on ktmtalk being that there are a bazillion discussions on it.
wakewop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #23
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 8,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewop
Its 1 liter without filter change,, 1.2 liter with filter change.
There is a LOT of talk about it on KTMtalk. Head on over there and read all about it. There are some interesting discoveries.. In my bike, the siteglass shows about a fingernail worth of oil in the glass with exactly 1.2 L after a filter change.. Oh, and remember to pull your screens and clean them with each oil change.. And dont strip out those bolts.!!!!! But Im shure you have read all about that on ktmtalk being that there are a bazillion discussions on it.
Ya buddy just had to helicoil his read oil drain bolt. No fun...engine had to come out and everything.

*Thanks for the info!
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 AM   #24
nevada72 OP
Clatto Verata Nicto

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC
Sorry to hijack thre thread but here's a rear rack I made for it also....

Not a hijack at all. It's great to get ideas. I would love to see a bigger shot of that rack and what you used for mounting points. I haven't seen a commercially available rack I care for, but need one. Also, a shot of the catch can. I was going to just buy the Thumper Racing catch can and be done with it, but one stashed in the air box area sounds cleaner.

Also, are the sumo wheels just a quick swap, or are there other factors? I know of endless twisty pavement that I would love to rip up with the 525.

On my bike - I'm updating soon. Spent all yesterday in the garage getting her put mostly back together. Not that I was doing anything that time consuming in itself, but I've been covering a lot of ground on this bike. You know how one thing can lead to another - started by going to a 48 tooth sprocket - chain too small? - new chain - hmmm, might as well do the front sprocket,..... and so on. Thank God for the internet - I'm spending all my money at the click of a button!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718387

nevada72 screwed with this post 04-29-2010 at 05:04 AM
nevada72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 AM   #25
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Hey Nev

Check out www.kytechmachine.com for a very sweet rear rack.

This is a pic of one that I just fitted to my 530, I'm pretty sure that they make one for the 525.

to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:34 AM   #26
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,324
For those of you looking for a catch can, check out the one from RLR Products. Cleanest solution because you can't even see it, no way to damage it either.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:53 AM   #27
nevada72 OP
Clatto Verata Nicto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8TY
Hey Nev

Check out www.kytechmachine.com for a very sweet rear rack.

This is a pic of one that I just fitted to my 530, I'm pretty sure that they make one for the 525.
I've seen those -really nice. But, I didn't think it would work on my 525. They list it as for a 400 exc. Do you have the 400 rack on your 530?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
For those of you looking for a catch can, check out the one from RLR Products. Cleanest solution because you can't even see it, no way to damage it either.
NIce! Thanks for the tip - Just ordered one now. Can't go wrong for 30 bucks! Just ripped my canister out of that exact spot so there's room!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:02 AM   #28
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC
Hey, aren't you riding on the wrong side...?

My 525 is my favorite bike of all time.

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #29
nevada72 OP
Clatto Verata Nicto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid

Looks like this:

Remember if you sign up for KTMtalk you get 10% off their store.
I want to order one of those. I linked over from KTMtalk to Cyclebuy, but I didn't see any mention of a discount. Is there a code?

Edit - THIS SHOULD BE THE 1ST THING YOU PUT ON YOUR KTM.

I figured I would get around to this later. Big mistake. Melted the shit out of my pants.

nevada72 screwed with this post 05-04-2010 at 07:53 PM
Old 04-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #30
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,875
Been a while since I visited Thumpers. Just wandering by and saw this. Congrats, you are going to love this bike.

As far as gearing, stock is 15/45, which if it could pull it, is good for somewhere around 120mph I have been running 14/48 for quite some time, and I have a spare wheel with a 50 on it. With that combo all you have to do is flip the axle, no chain adjustment necessary. This will let you plonk along in 1st and still have a 85-90 mph top end, and 70 mph cruise speed.

Also, when you adjust the chain, once you are done, take the shock off and stroke the rear wheel through, I bet you will find that it's too tight. The tightest point is probably 4 or 5 inches from being bottomed out, so the finger test, even with someone sitting on the bike doesn't tell the truth.

When the chain is adjusted properly, it will look real loose when the bike is parked or on a stand, but that's just the way it is.