Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #76
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy
Rather than just adding bar risers, consider a Scott's damper with submount. Taller bars, and a sweet damper lol.

Looks like you've got it pretty much cased other than that...

Waxy

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #77
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada72
If you liked my "stage 1" risers, you're gonna love this.........

The Scotts damper is on the list, but at $400 + it's a tough pill to swallow. I'm sure I'll do it eventually. The risers I have on now add up to about $45.

Some things are worth paying a little extra for, especially if they have the Scotts mount already integrated:

2.25" rise over stock:

7/8" forward and 1" rise (acc. to website, I think it's more)

Check them out here:

http://www.ptenduro.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/22
Old 05-12-2010, 04:52 AM   #78
nevada72 OP
Clatto Verata Nicto

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Some things are worth paying a little extra for, especially if they have the Scotts mount already integrated:

2.25" rise over stock:

Check them out here:

http://www.ptenduro.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/22
Oh sure! I asked about this a few pages back and NOW you tell me after I Frankenstein my triple clamp!

Thanks for the link - that looks a LOT better and I will go that route. I still would like something like 4 inch risers. Maybe I can add my stuff on top of those?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718387
nevada72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #79
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 530
I'm really loving this bike. I've had it for a year and done about 5000kms on it so far. It allows me to get places where I wouldn't dream of taking the GS.

Here's a couple of pics from the south Manukau heads near Waiuku New Zealand.

XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #80
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Now I only have the lowly 450 but I found this thread very useful....lots of good info for setting up the bike

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539737

Nice pics BTW XTC

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #81
nevada72 OP
Clatto Verata Nicto

It's been a while and I've been riding the heck out of the KTM -- Great bike!

I'm happy with the upgrades so far and no issues have come up. Even the dual stacked risers have held up well in an off. The forks twisted in the mounts, but the risers and bars held up well. It was a pretty solid hit too.

Speaking of risers and bars, I upgraded to Pro Taper Woods "High" bars. Turns out they're not so high after all. Live and learn. That said, they are very nice and the narrow width will help out on the tight trails up north.

I also added a Motorsportz stabilizer.

I chose the Motorsportz for a number of reasons. The biggest is that the Motorsportz allows the use of all 4 KTM bar positions. The Scotts makes you give up the rear mounted positions. That's bad for me. Another plus for me is that the Motorsportz dampens on turn and return to center. That is my preference. I like the easy to use adjustment lever that Motorsportz uses too. Personally, I find it insulting that Scotts charges $15 to give you the right adjustment knob for the job. I also like the low profile, machined look of the Motorsportz. Last but not least, it was about $100 less than the Scotts. I know the majority of riders like Scotts. I'm sure it's great stuff.....but not for me. No hate mail please!

Another reason one might consider the Motorsportz stabilizer is how easy it is to install. That isn't why I ordered it, but I appreciate it all the same. You don't even need to take off the top clamp to install the fixed peg. It uses a two piece design that installs very easily. The whole she-bang could be installed easily in less than 30 minutes.

Be that as it may, I figured as long as I was fiddling with the front end, I would clean and grease the head set. I was happy to see that the grease looked healthy as did the bearings. No water or rust at all.

Next up -

Sicass LED tail light/license plate bracket and Highway Dirtbikes billet LED turn signals back and LED handguard signals.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #82
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
Next up -

Sicass LED tail light/license plate bracket .....l
Seriously? Don't you ride trails? I haven't seen this bracket, so maybe it's just because I'm clueless, but my license plate gets bent all over the place when I'm out riding trails. I would think a bracket would just get ripped off, no?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:24 AM   #83
nevada72 OP
Clatto Verata Nicto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
Seriously? Don't you ride trails? I haven't seen this bracket, so maybe it's just because I'm clueless, but my license plate gets bent all over the place when I'm out riding trails. I would think a bracket would just get ripped off, no?
You're absolutely right that the stocker gets mutilated. The Sicass unit doesn't attach to the existing pos. It replaces it. Here's the link -

http://www.sicassracing.com/cgi-bin/...&ppinc=search2

The other option is to get the earlier KTM plate mount and light bulb holder and lens. The lens is pretty spendy and you still end up with a conventional bulb. For about the same $$ I opted for the Sicass LED. It supposedly bolts right on just like the factory unit and doesn't get sucked in by the rear wheel.

As you, I and others have found out, the stock license plate holder is yet another bad joke played on KTM owners. I understand they did a bunch of stuff to limp the bike through epa and dot regs, but seriously, did they have to put parts on the bike that actually cause damage?

nevada72 screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 05:35 AM
Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #84
Capp
Resident

Oddometer: 84
Have the Motorsportz damper also and it is great!! Start out on a low setting so you get used to it at first. The adjustment is the best part. On the fly adjustment form tight sections to more open trails......
Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #85
Wings
marmaduked

Quote:
You're absolutely right that the stocker gets mutilated. The Sicass unit doesn't attach to the existing pos. It replaces it. Here's the link -

http://www.sicassracing.com/cgi-bin/...&ppinc=search2

The other option is to get the earlier KTM plate mount and light bulb holder and lens. The lens is pretty spendy and you still end up with a conventional bulb. For about the same $$ I opted for the Sicass LED. It supposedly bolts right on just like the factory unit and doesn't get sucked in by the rear wheel.

As you, I and others have found out, the stock license plate holder is yet another bad joke played on KTM owners. I understand they did a bunch of stuff to limp the bike through epa and dot regs, but seriously, did they have to put parts on the bike that actually cause damage?
That looks pretty much just like the stock underfender, but shorter? I don't use a license plate "holder" at all, just have the plate attached right to the under fender. Those LED's look nice! I ended up swapping out the bulb with an 1157 LED replacement.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #86
nevada72 OP
Clatto Verata Nicto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capp
Have the Motorsportz damper also and it is great!! Start out on a low setting so you get used to it at first. The adjustment is the best part. On the fly adjustment form tight sections to more open trails......
Yeah, it was pretty alarming when I took off with it cranked up a bit. That first turn was scary! But, once I figured it out, it was great. It really calmed down the high speed instability I was having. I just installed it last night and did a short test ride, but I look forward to using it on the trails.

Quote:
That looks pretty much just like the stock underfender, but shorter? I don't use a license plate "holder" at all, just have the plate attached right to the under fender.
I think it's shorter and angles away from the tire more. A lot of guys on KTMTalk rave about 'em so I'll give it a try.

For now I cut most of my under fender off and bolted a steel license plate bar right under the light. I then twisted it so that the plate angles out pretty far. It works and looks okay but I wanted something a little nicer than the clunky stock tail light which fills up with water and mud. I rode behind a guy with the LED tail light and was impressed at how bright it was compared to stock.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #87
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,694
Quote:
Those LED's look nice! I ended up swapping out the bulb with an 1157 LED replacement.
Yes they do! I just ordered one because NO ONE can see the 1157 replacement LED the PO installed on my 525. I'm hoping this will reduce the chance of getting a Dodge Ram rammed up the backside! (safety mods are always easy to run past the accountant...)
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #88
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Edit 6-2-2010 - New or would be KTM owners - Read this 1st. Following is my new to KTM experience. It's a great bike but there are some things you need to know. I learned very quickly that there are some things that you HAVE TO CHANGE before riding your bike even once or you'll cause damage. It's covered in more detail later in this thread and on other threads but here's the short list of things to do before you ride the bike.
I'd like to throw a few comments about the items you listed.

Quote:
Exhaust heat shield - You will melt your pants on the 1st ride.
True. My 05 came with a factory vented plastic guard. Not sure if it was a Hard Part though. I thought they all came with one until I bought my wife's bikes. I ended up using the EE aluminum guard. Works great.

Quote:
License plate bracket - Your license plate will not survive your 1st ride.
I made my own out of thick plastic. I think it was a nylon cutting board I hacked up. I also run a piece of copper electrical wire (with the insulation still on it) through the plate, the bracket and the fender. If all the bolts fail somehow, I will hear the parts swinging around back there or my buddies will tell me before I lose my plate.

Quote:
Jetting
Subjective. Before the advent of EFI, most race bikes and even some factory DS bikes needed to be jetted properly.

Quote:
Uncork
The more performance oriented bikes will all be crippled in some way to pass emissions, now and in the future. The alternative is to ride a KLR.

Quote:
canisterectomy
See above. All new streetbikes come with smog equipment now. Thankfully it is much easier to deal with it on a KTM EXC than say, a Yamaha WR250R.

Quote:
different sprockets
Subjective. You don't need to replace them because they are cheap, you would replace them if they were the wrong ratio.

Quote:
side stand replacement
Touché. World class racing machine, the suckiest sidestand ever created. Trail Tech unit is good, IMO the ProMotoBillet is the shiznit.

Quote:
skid plate
You can get them factory, I really like the composite one with quick-release D-Zus fastener. I have a Flatlands Racing aluminum one on my bike.

Quote:
case saver
Every bike needs to be equipped with one of these simple and inexpensive devices, not just KTMs.

Quote:
steering stabilizer
Race bikes have race geometry. KTMs can benefit from a steering stabilizer if you still feel it's too unstable even after setting up the suspension.

Quote:
Hand guards
Subjective. Some guys like 'em, some hate them. Some like the full barkbusters, others like the roost deflectors.

Quote:
I'm sure there's plenty more. I'm still learning about this bike as I go. ADV, Thumpertalk, and KTMtalk have been fantastic resources for getting the skinny on the EXC. Know that you'll dump at least $1k into the stock bike before it's right. I know that sounds bad, but if you think about it, even the DRZ guy is pouring money into his bike to make it what he wants.
The bike won't NEED $1000 in stuff but you sure will want to add farkles just like anybody else with any other bike.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #89
nevada72 OP
Clatto Verata Nicto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK
The bike won't NEED $1000 in stuff but you sure will want to add farkles just like anybody else with any other bike.

Sean
I'll bet you and I are probably on the same page because these are hardly original insights on my part. These are the most common upgrades. Maybe I didn't convey my thoughts well. Only the 1st 2 items on the list were "must haves or will wreck stuff" items. The other things are typical KTM changes that really make a difference. I think you will be hard pressed to find an experienced KTM ower that would disagree with anything on my list. The factory jets them waaaay too lean. The stock muffler is totally bottle necked. The canister needs to be ditched or have fun starting the bike after it falls over. The 15/45 sprocket combo sucks - period, etc, etc.

The other stuff like hand guards and skid plate are mentioned because they don't come on the bike. Don't use them on any bike at your peril.

And you might note that my parting comment is that everyone tosses money at their bikes to make them better. And I definitely wasn't bashing KTM. Okay.....maybe a little bit on the license plate holder.

Like I said, I'll bet you and I agree on what changes need to be made to KTMs. I probably just didn't make myself clear.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #90
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
I'll bet you and I are probably on the same page because these are hardly original insights on my part. These are the most common upgrades. Maybe I didn't convey my thoughts well. Only the 1st 2 items on the list were "must haves or will wreck stuff" items. The other things are typical KTM changes that really make a difference. I think you will be hard pressed to find an experienced KTM ower that would disagree with anything on my list. The factory jets them waaaay too lean. The stock muffler is totally bottle necked. The canister needs to be ditched or have fun starting the bike after it falls over. The 15/45 sprocket combo sucks - period, etc, etc.

The other stuff like hand guards and skid plate are mentioned because they don't come on the bike. Don't use them on any bike at your peril.

And you might note that my parting comment is that everyone tosses money at their bikes to make them better. And I definitely wasn't bashing KTM. Okay.....maybe a little bit on the license plate holder.

Like I said, I'll bet you and I agree on what changes need to be made to KTMs. I probably just didn't make myself clear.
Oh hell yes, we're on the same page for sure. I cannot begin to add up all the farkling for the bikes in my shop!

One thing though, I would put the case saver in the must-have category. You crack the cases and that's an instant $500 repair bill if you find some used cases. But the chances of the parts going from one case to the next without updates and various replacement (preventative maintenance) parts is slim so realistically you are looking at over $500 if you do break a case.

As for the licence plate holder, I agree. However, my biggest pet peeve is the sidestand. If I'm Mr. K or Mr. T, there is no way the bikes I build are leaving with a shitty sidestand.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote