Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #91
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
hey Nev, this is a nice bundled writeup. I just sold my streetbike and have been looking at some future options for a 2nd bike. This range of KTM's keep coming up on my radar. I can't deny doing farks & maint on one bike will be nice for a spell.

Wish I would have had time to look over your bike at SLAP. Seems we were always in a hurry prepping and stuff.

Nice bike, and nice work !

Mark
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #92
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada72

New Glarus hmmmm. Only in WI.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #93
nevada72 OP
Clatto Verata Nicto

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK
One thing though, I would put the case saver in the must-have category.
Sean
Unfortunately, I'm the kinda guy that learns the hard way - after the catastrophy. I put the heat shield and license plat bracket on the "A" list mainly because I got bit by ignoring the advice of others in time. As for the case saver - It probably should be the 1st thing on the list considering the consequences. I have one on order. Sure hope it shows soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnormand
hey Nev, this is a nice bundled writeup. I just sold my streetbike and have been looking at some future options for a 2nd bike. This range of KTM's keep coming up on my radar. I can't deny doing farks & maint on one bike will be nice for a spell.

Wish I would have had time to look over your bike at SLAP. Seems we were always in a hurry prepping and stuff.

Nice bike, and nice work !

Mark
My SLAP roomate! Thanks for the kind words. I would have tossed you the keys if I knew you were considering KTMs. I'm very happy with it. A nice WR is nothing to sneeze at though. See you at the next SLAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben
New Glarus hmmmm. Only in WI.
Except when I bring it with me on trips! Just had 2 tonight. Love the stuff.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718387
nevada72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #94
Jagas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Do any of these suggested modifications decrease in importance for new riders who are very very likely to be taking it very easy for the first chunk of time?

I have one of the champtions edition kini graphics 450 EXC's almost ready to pick up and between the bike, some adjustments and building a borderline ridiculous set of gear from scratch I have pretty much drained the bank - but I can always sell a kidney if need be.

The only modifications that I have had done so far are handguards/deflectors, tug straps, fan kit and the dealer put on a 13 tooth front sprocket and jetted the bike as it was running too lean. The kini edition has a heat shield and plastic skid plate already on it plus some other shiny bits and pieces.

Items that I discussed with the dealer, who has almost 30 years experience racing KTM's, that he didn't feel were necessary until I had some actual riding experience were: jetting and gearing (which he did anyway), stator kit, larger tank, any exhaust mods, rad guards, and any other guards.

Based on this thread and others like it a case saver, tail light/license plate holder and kick stand replacement are highest on my radar right now. How urgent are any of these for a noob and is there anything else I should be considering in the near term?

Are exhaust mods generally to access additional power (which I will not need for some time) or are there other benefits as well (such as ease of starting when I drop the bike trying to get on it, etc)?
Jagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #95
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagas
Do any of these suggested modifications decrease in importance for new riders who are very very likely to be taking it very easy for the first chunk of time?

I have one of the champtions edition kini graphics 450 EXC's almost ready to pick up and between the bike, some adjustments and building a borderline ridiculous set of gear from scratch I have pretty much drained the bank - but I can always sell a kidney if need be.

The only modifications that I have had done so far are handguards/deflectors, tug straps, fan kit and the dealer put on a 13 tooth front sprocket and jetted the bike as it was running too lean. The kini edition has a heat shield and plastic skid plate already on it plus some other shiny bits and pieces.

Items that I discussed with the dealer, who has almost 30 years experience racing KTM's, that he didn't feel were necessary until I had some actual riding experience were: jetting and gearing (which he did anyway), stator kit, larger tank, any exhaust mods, rad guards, and any other guards.

Based on this thread and others like it a case saver, tail light/license plate holder and kick stand replacement are highest on my radar right now. How urgent are any of these for a noob and is there anything else I should be considering in the near term?

Are exhaust mods generally to access additional power (which I will not need for some time) or are there other benefits as well (such as ease of starting when I drop the bike trying to get on it, etc)?
Look at Gronks post.

Did you desmog? If so then you are set for many many miles.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #96
nevada72 OP
Clatto Verata Nicto

Quote:
I would uncork the exhaust - easy and free. Also ditch the canister - again, easy and free. You can home modify the license plate bracket so it won't get sucked in. I believe the earlier bikes (04 and earlier?) had a better bracket. What year is your bike? The case saver is cheap - I think about $30-$40?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #97
nevada72 OP
Clatto Verata Nicto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK
I'd like to throw a few comments about the items you listed.

Sean
I changed the wording around a bit on the 1st post. Better?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #98
Jagas
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada72
I would uncork the exhaust - easy and free. Also ditch the canister - again, easy and free. You can home modify the license plate bracket so it won't get sucked in. I believe the earlier bikes (04 and earlier?) had a better bracket. What year is your bike? The case saver is cheap - I think about $30-$40?
The bike is brand new, so 2010, though technically I think it may be considered a 2009.5. The case saver seems to be a no-brainer.

From what I can gather on the purpose and benefits of uncorking and ditching the canister the main benefit seems to be more power. This bike is going to have far more power than I can safely fully use for quite some time - I haven't been on a bike in 20 years with very little experience to draw on from back then, so I am basically learning from scratch...on an Austrian engineered racing bike...brilliant. If I am not looking for any power gains are there other benefits to these mods? I hope to keep things as simple as possible as I know as little as imaginable about all of this stuff. The concept of rejetting or regearing at this point is still horrifying to and lost on me.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #99
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,830
Quote:
The bike is brand new, so 2010, though technically I think it may be considered a 2009.5. The case saver seems to be a no-brainer.

From what I can gather on the purpose and benefits of uncorking and ditching the canister the main benefit seems to be more power. This bike is going to have far more power than I can safely fully use for quite some time - I haven't been on a bike in 20 years with very little experience to draw on from back then, so I am basically learning from scratch...on an Austrian engineered racing bike...brilliant. If I am not looking for any power gains are there other benefits to these mods? I hope to keep things as simple as possible as I know as little as imaginable about all of this stuff. The concept of rejetting or regearing at this point is still horrifying to and lost on me.
Regearing is a joke, don't worry.

Also the concept of desmogging is not only power but overall performance. Most new bikes come choked to death with emissions crap they can barely breathe. Sign up at ktmtalk.com for the how-to.

Also you couldn't have picked a better bike to work on. KTMs are some of the most mechanically user-friendly bikes I have every had the pleasure of working on. Everything just fits where it should and the entire bike is extremely logical and erector-set in its simplicity.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #100
Jagas
Adventurer

Thanks, I'll be doing lots o reading at ktmtalk.com too. One of my main concerns about going with a KTM was maintenance, so it is good to hear a viewpoint that they are very user-friendly.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #101
JRMosley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Case saver

When you say case saver are you talking the shields you put on the covers on the sides of the engine, or these "wings" on the skid plate?

[IMG][/IMG]

And while I'm throwing pics up, here's my dirty girl:

[IMG][/IMG]
JRMosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #102
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:
This bike is going to have far more power than I can safely fully use for quite some time - I haven't been on a bike in 20 years with very little experience to draw on from back then, so I am basically learning from scratch...on an Austrian engineered racing bike...brilliant.

Go big or go home!

FWIW I'm learning to ride dirt on my 525 and it is nothing but a pleasure. (ok, some excitement too...) I just installed springs for my bike that I got from Jeremy at mx-tech and it is a night and day difference. The bike is much more composed in the soft stuff and much better on the street getting to the trails.

If you're NOT 185lbs with gear, +/- 9 lbs, you need to re-spring the bike.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #103
Jagas
Adventurer

I thought a case saver was a little piece of metal that attaches just in front of the chain to protect the clutch case in the event of the chain coming off and flying through it.

Like this:
http://www.sicassracing.com/cgi-bin/...&ppinc=search2
Old 06-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #104
Jagas
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by never mind
Go big or go home!

FWIW I'm learning to ride dirt on my 525 and it is nothing but a pleasure. (ok, some excitement too...) I just installed springs for my bike that I got from Jeremy at mx-tech and it is a night and day difference. The bike is much more composed in the soft stuff and much better on the street getting to the trails.

If you're NOT 185lbs with gear, +/- 9 lbs, you need to re-spring the bike.
I'm 160 or so plus gear, so I may pull up a little short. Though with a fully packed vest or some bags it might be close. I figured I'd worry about suspension after the bike breaks in a bit. I won't know the difference at first anyway.

My decision process went KLX250S--->WR250R--->KTM450EXC. My wife liked the KLX cause it was that pretty green colour until I looked at the KTM, then she wouldn't let me get anything else.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #105
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:
I'm 160 or so plus gear, so I may pull up a little short. Though with a fully packed vest or some bags it might be close. I figured I'd worry about suspension after the bike breaks in a bit. I won't know the difference at first anyway.
Eat a big meal before you go out and you should be right in the sweet spot for the stock springs! Make sure you adjust your free and static sag on the back. You can probably just leave the front alone, it should be good to go if you've checked the damping adjustments and they're at stock settings.

FWIW, the bike will treat you better if it's set right. IMHO, you won't learn bad riding habits trying to correct ill-set suspenders!

Quote:
My decision process went KLX250S--->WR250R--->KTM450EXC. My wife liked the KLX cause it was that pretty green colour until I looked at the KTM, then she wouldn't let me get anything else.
My selection process was just about the same! No wife to pick out colors though...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote