User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #31
macgart
johnny mac

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Touratech have nice mounting kits but they want a testicle and half a square yard of scrotum skin for them. They can fuck right off.
that's funny and true!

~ Ted Simon, Jupiter's Travels ~

http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com
macgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #32
Three Dawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
There was a mouth breather

Oh, and telll Tripadvisor about the shitty hotel, they deserve to go under by the sound of it.
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #33
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Oddometer: 674
Ah it wasn't that bad really.......
If all the hotels in the world were the same it wouldn't be such an adventure would it?
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #34
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
I love the title "Scotland for the Brave"......Then what is England , Wales and Ireland for?
Lets hear some names.

Wales for the whiny

Ireland for the Irksome

England for the not always on time.

TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #35
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

It was because of the "haunted" hotel room. I was (mostly) very brave......
Old 04-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #36
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Bentos
@EriCKY.. Ian Banks fucking rocks. As does his other work under Ian Banks. The Wasp Factory is a definate must read.
I've read 3 of his since ust discovering him, including the one in your pic. A Scotsman too!
ErikY. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #37
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,100
Thumb

Great stuff. As I watched one of the vids I was thinking this would be a bad place to meet a bus, and there one came by!
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #38
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Locals are pretty good on the roads. Other tourists are a fecking danger though.
The camera is mounted on the right bar and makes it look like I am waaaaay over in the middle of the road.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #39
StevenF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Where's the next part?
StevenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #40
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Bentos
Locals are pretty good on the roads. Other tourists are a fecking danger though.
The camera is mounted on the right bar and makes it look like I am waaaaay over in the middle of the road.
I sat on the back of a friends Adventure as we ran like loons around Paris a few years back. narrow roads out there in the countryside made it look like we were going to have some sore knees.

And we were on the right side of the road!
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #41
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

It was taking ages to get around the "wee loop" I had set out to do this morning. I was constantly changing my plans as to where I could go in the time I had left. It would have been nice to get to the top of the country. I had half hoped that I could get me nose back to Durness. But as today was Wedensday and I had to be at the ferry on Friday at 1.30 I knew that I really had gone as far North as I could.

I stopped to have a look at the map. I decided to head back to The Kyle of Lochalsh and then head North on the A890 a wee back road. This would take in the Applecross Pass and then I could head down in an Invernessy direction. That settled I got back on the road

Here's me, sexing up a gate. Look at me! I am awesome!!

As with 99% of all the roads in these parts, the road off Skye was sublime. The "wee loop" I had set out to do this morning was around 150 miles.
It was lovely but I felt the need to get me head down and do some more miles. I just didn't have the time to slow tour. Something that would have been lovey seeing as the weather and scenery but you cant stop at every wee place you see I suppose.

I hooked up onto The A 896 for Shieldaig and immediately knew that In was in for a real treat. I hadn't gone far when I came around a bend and was struck with the most amazing scene I had witnessed since I arrived in Scotland.

It wasn't a view with sweeping panoramic vistas of far away mountains or anything as grand as that. By the side of this wee road, leading to God knows where was a small lough. There were Pine trees and reeds and dragon flies and flowers and sunlight dancing on mirrored waters. Words and pictures just cannot convey the beauty of this place.
I just had to stop and stand and stare in stupefied wonder. I don't think I have ever been as purely happy and contented anywhere else.

When I die I want to haunt this tiny little oasis.

And just to underline how awesome this spot was, as I got the video camera out, I was given a fly by from a fighter plane. In the words of Kung Foo Panda, " Awesome."

I could have sat here all day. But the road was calling me And so I headed off vowing to get back sometime again. I saved the location in the GPS and rode on. I followed the road as it dipped and twisted and turned. The day was getting hot and there was a deep blue sky. It was one of those times when you forget any kind of life outside of the here and now. For me, all that there was there and then was the bike, the road and destinations unknown. It is a truly joyous thing to be sitting on a motorcycle, far away from home and everybody who knows you, seeing a road that you have never saw before. I really was whistling a happy tune by the time I saw the sign for Applecross.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #42
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

The road for the Applecross pass is just amazing. Narrow, twisty and offers some breathtaking views of the country. I wont bore you with more video because I have another hour of it and quite frankly, it all looks the same..

Whilst I was taking these shots a camper van was winching it's way up the road. I took my time with the camera and after ten minutes or so was ready to hit the road again. I could still see the camper, waaaay off in the distance, climbing slowly. So I took my time but eventually I came up behind it just as we reached a really interesting series of switch backs and hairpins.

I was on his tail, pulled over so that I could see the driver in his rear view mirror. And the bastard could see me because I saw him looking. There were a couple of passing places that he had to pull into to let oncoming cars pass by. But before I could nip past, he had swung out again and was filling the road with his shit box caravan.

This went on for quite awhile, I was starting to loose my holiday mojo with the cunt. He was obviously blocking me passing him. Then there was a slightly wider part of the road and a passing place. I dropped a cog and nailed it past him, slowing as I leveled with his window. With the aid of gestures and foul language, I indicated that he was a short sighted person, born out of wedlock and that he was prone to self abuse, before I left him in a cloud of expletives and regained my composure as I got back to the job in hand of chilling out and enjoying the road.

Another few miles and I had reached the top. There was a short downhill set of twisties and a blind left hand corner. As I came round this there a car stopped in the road and in front of him, a digger and a lorry. They were working on the road and all traffic was blocked. Opposite the car, there was a lay-by. I pulled over to it and stopped the bike. I looked around and seeing that it was a blind bend and that any traffic coming down the hill would be into the stationary car before they knew it, kept an eye up the road for safety's sake.

The workmen were in no hurry. Cars were stopped on the other side of the work and then, low and behold, what should wobble into view at the top of the hill..........................?

Matey boy came into view and came on down the hill. I was off the bike already at this stage and standing taking photos. I knew that this prick was going to hit the parked car and done the only decent thing I could. I started to flag him down.

I laughed to myself when I saw his reaction. He obviously couldn't see the reason why I was doing this and just saw me trying to stop him. His mouth dropped open I would swear that he went white. I watched him as he didn't know what to do but advance on me slowly. As he came around the bend the relief on his face was a picture when he realised that I wasn't stopping him to give him a Chinese burn and dead arm. He sort of gave me a half nod and a thanks wave. I ignored him and John Wayned back to me bike.

By the time the digger had filled the lorry there was a size able Que in both directions. I jumped ahead of every body and had soon the road to myself again.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #43
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Old 04-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #44
obsidian
Scared of the dark..

Oddometer: 837
Loving this report, the words, pics, and video are top notch!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #45
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Just a couple of wee movies of the road.

It was really beautiful day and just an absolutely sublime journey. The hardest part was keeping going because it would have been too easy to stop the bike, get off, throw my helmet into the heather and just stand and stare.