User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
tiger4me OP
Never to cold to ride!

Oddometer: 39
Bike,dog and STUPID CAGER!!!!!!!!

Riding home from work on Tuesday,I'm behind a white car driving about 45 mph.Off to the left is an open field and a dog meandering in this field about 300 yards from the road. I don't know what the driver was thinking , but the next thing I know they slam on their brakes and JUST STOP!!!Soooooo I attempt to down shift and grab brake. Then down I go.
Its a strange feeling to be sliding down the road watching the sky go by and Items from your bike go sliding by too.I come to a stop and do a mental assessment on body injuries, none found I attempt to get the Tiger off my left foot. Another driver that was behind us stops to help. I get up and push the bike off the raod.The driver who caused all this had driven off about 300 yards and stopped. Then they just drive off.
I was luck to say that my injuries were a little road rash to my left forearm where my Firstgear failed,at least to me. The sleeve rolled up and the armor did not stay in place.
Bike started right up. some cosmetic damage to faring,gas tank, engine cover ,and top box.
Now I know some of you hate Progressive Ins,But my claims agent had my claim done and money for repairs and my gear in 2 days!!! I now just have to wait for my Bike to fixed so i can ride baby ride..
tiger4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Exevious
Goatrider A.F.& A.M.

Oddometer: 828
did you or the other driver that stopped get the licence plate??

What kinda idiot thinks it ok to just drive away??

I wonder if that driver would even be found liable anyway....

I think it would be cool to just watch the reaction of a cop knocking on a door to ask questions... Liable or not.. the heat of a few questions about the situation outta leave an impact!

Glad to hear your OK!
Exevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
marin ktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
I'm glad you survived.

I am always worried about my protective gear staying in place. It seems very likely that during a crash, the elbow guards will slide up or rotate. the pants will slide down to the knees, the jacket will slide up to the shoulders or it's zipper will open and expose the chest. I think all of that stuff has to fit uncomfortably tight and be completely fastened up to have any chance of working as designed.
marin ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
For healthy healing we should place blame where blame is due and I hate to say it but I don't think you can blame the cage 100% here and I'm sure that your insurance company will charge you with being at fault for failing to keep control of your vehicle. I don't know anything other than what you wrote here but it is your responsibility to be able to stop your vehicle safely even if the car in front of you stops suddenly. You have powerful brakes on that motorcycle and if skilled you should be able to stop that motorcycle in a much shorter distance than most cages.

I don't know exactly what you did but it sounds like you locked up the wheels with either the brakes, by your sudden down shift or both. That is a common error, especially with riders who do not practice emergency stops and/or who do not know what to do when they lock up the wheels.

I'm glad you are relatively uninjured and trust this will be a valuable learning experience for you. When you get your bike back you probably should get some practice learning how to handle your bike when the brakes lock up under heavy breaking. I suggest doing this in the dirt. It is the safest place.

btw, the engine is not a brake. Unless you have a slipper clutch, slamming the bike into a lower gear in an emergency situation is a recipe for disaster.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey
For healthy healing we should place blame where blame is due and I hate to say it but I don't think you can blame the cage 100% here and I'm sure that your insurance company will charge you with being at fault for failing to keep control of your vehicle. I don't know anything other than what you wrote here but it is your responsibility to be able to stop your vehicle safely even if the car in front of you stops suddenly. You have powerful brakes on that motorcycle and if skilled you should be able to stop that motorcycle in a much shorter distance than most cages.

I don't know exactly what you did but it sounds like you locked up the wheels with either the brakes, by your sudden down shift or both. That is a common error, especially with riders who do not practice emergency stops and/or who do not know what to do when they lock up the wheels.

I'm glad you are relatively uninjured and trust this will be a valuable learning experience for you. When you get your bike back you probably should get some practice learning how to handle your bike when the brakes lock up under heavy breaking. I suggest doing this in the dirt. It is the safest place.

btw, the engine is not a brake. Unless you have a slipper clutch, slamming the bike into a lower gear in an emergency situation is a recipe for disaster.
+1
1. Following to closely to stop safely.
2. Distracted by dog, not watching the roadway.
3. Unable to control your machine durring panic stop.
4. Improper use of your safety gear (all those velcro and chinch straps at the wrists, arms, chest and waist must be tight to work as designed).

I (we) have been guilty of all the above.
Thanks for posting to remind us of how quickly things go wrong.
Glad you are OK.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger4me
I don't know what the driver was thinking , but the next thing I know they slam on their brakes and JUST STOP!!!

The driver who caused all this (?) had driven off about 300 yards and stopped. Then they just drive off.
I am glad you are ok and that the bike was not messed up too bad.

For your continued safety I sure hope that you can take another look at this and put put the blame where it is due. (go have a look in the mirror)

IMO the others were kind to say: "...I hate to say it but I don't think you can blame the cage 100% here..."

I am more inclined to set the blame of the cage at 0%. There was no reason for them not to drive off.

Please learn from this mishap and become a safer rider because of it.

I am sorry if you find all this offensive... I am in no way some perfect rider that does everything right. If the same thing had happened to me I would be fuming and calling the driver of the cage an asshat, I would be pissed as hell BUT I would own it and blame none but myself for not paying attention.

All the best to you. Be safe. Flame away at me if you want. I truly wish you all the best.

Remember me when (not if) I start a thread here and pile on.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Minisquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey
You have powerful brakes on that motorcycle and if skilled you should be able to stop that motorcycle in a much shorter distance than most cages.
That was the case many years ago but cage brakes have made huge improvments. Most sedans and pickups are capable of stopping as quick as a motorcycle and more performance oriented cages will stop much shorter than a bike. Skilled braking will no doubt help but the fact is if you follow too close or react too late you are going down.
1980 KZ1300
1983 TT600
1948 country squire
Minisquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
Tappet
Feral

Oddometer: 1,451
Tappet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
siclmn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
If you had ABS brakes you would of applied the brakes as hard as you could and they would have done the work for you. You would have stopped without skidding and you would never have wasted valuable time downshifting. And you would have not had to make this post.
siclmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,410
7 hours and 33 minutes

A new record

I was wondering where the ABS crowd was. You better step it up a bit... get it back down under 2 hours.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
arkangel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
!

Similar situation.. I was driving out of my apartment complex one day in the rain (on a KTM 640 LC4E). The first corner is a blind 25mph corner with a rail on one side and a rock wall on the other. As I get halfway around the corner I see an SUV PARKED in the middle of my lane towards the end of the curve and 2 of his buddies standing in the oncoming lane with umbrellas... They were about 50ft ahead of me and I was in 3rd gear leaned over. When I realized that 90%front 10% rear wasnt going to stop me fast enough I ended up locking the rear wheel and going down and sliding right to the edge of his back bumper. I was so mad I was ready to explode, so I just told him to GET OUT OF THE ROAD instead of filing a police report (plus I was already late for work). The whole time I was thinking it was his fault for being stopped there, but now every time I go around corners like that I ease off the throttle, and make sure that I dont outrun my braking ability. There are so many different ways to get hurt on a bike... I would rather be safe then to have a good reason for being hurt. I think that we should apply the same rule when following someone on the road. Stay far enough back that you wouldnt hit them if they totally locked the brakes and went into a slide. I only wish the cars would give me the same respect....
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsquid
That was the case many years ago but cage brakes have made huge improvments. Most sedans and pickups are capable of stopping as quick as a motorcycle and more performance oriented cages will stop much shorter than a bike. Skilled braking will no doubt help but the fact is if you follow too close or react too late you are going down.
I don't know, maybe your right? I have an 07 Subaru Outback with ABS and I know I can easily out brake it with my 20+yr old GSXR. Maybe that is just years of racing and riding experience on my part. That's just anecdotal evidence though and as far as this subject is concerned I it's probably better and safer to assume that you are correct.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #13
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
100% pilot error. Cold fact. Noboby controls the bike but the pilot.
"A man's got to know his limitations."
Glad you're okay

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by marin ktm
I'm glad you survived.

I am always worried about my protective gear staying in place. It seems very likely that during a crash, the elbow guards will slide up or rotate. the pants will slide down to the knees, the jacket will slide up to the shoulders or it's zipper will open and expose the chest. I think all of that stuff has to fit uncomfortably tight and be completely fastened up to have any chance of working as designed.

Aerostich Roadcrafter One-Piece ...... the ultimate riding suit - skin graft resistant... enough said.

Cowboy2
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy2
Aerostich Roadcrafter One-Piece ...... the ultimate riding suit - skin graft resistant... enough said.

Cowboy2
Nah you left out antiquated, leaky and overpriced!

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote