Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #91
x32792 OP
Cracker American

Oddometer: 431
The Famous Oklahoma 4 Hour Mud Mile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie the Snake
Keep working it, gonna get muddy and wet looks like . Should get much better later next week.

Vinnie,

There will be no repeat of your famous 4 hour Oklahoma mud mile for me unless you and the boys are there with some mighty fine recovery vehicles to pull me out (repeatedly).

John
Old 05-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #92
x32792 OP
Cracker American

I'll Make It To Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor 1
This looks like great fun. I'm in I've done the entire TAT on a DRZ400s.....might be neat to try it in a Chevy 4x4 Hope u make it all the way to Utah John.
I'll make it to Utah even if I have to buy a whole new Jeep.

What I'm afraid of, as I told MsSuzi before I left, "You know some other old woman out there just might want to take me in and feed me. Then we'd have to go thru that whole 'Has Anyone Seen Sweet-Thing' drama."

She was doubtful.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #93
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,301
You made it out, old man?
Old 05-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #94
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,301
Old 05-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #95
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 16,971
Enjoying the report so far...

Please excuse a brief hijack -

Question for the masses:

In seven weeks I have a week of vacation to burn. I've thought about a variety of things I could do (mostly motorcycle related), but I don't want to burn a ton of cash right now and I'm not interested in an Iron Butt vacation of 600 + mile days for a week straight. I'm just not in good enough physical shape for that right now.

I also have an '09 Rubicon. Reading this thread got me to thinking about a Jeep trip. I'm in Ohio. Where could I go within reason to enjoy lots of miles of good woodsy off pavement stuff? Nothing too extreme, as I would have the girlfriend and two Jack Russel Terrorists in tow. But nothing too boring either. Run of the mill gravel roads aren't particularly interesting since I live on one But some trails, mountain two-track etc., might be interesting.

Suggestions? PM me if you'd like...

Thanks for tolerating the interruption!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #96
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 39,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
Enjoying the report so far...

Please excuse a brief hijack -

Question for the masses:

In seven weeks I have a week of vacation to burn. I've thought about a variety of things I could do (mostly motorcycle related), but I don't want to burn a ton of cash right now and I'm not interested in an Iron Butt vacation of 600 + mile days for a week straight. I'm just not in good enough physical shape for that right now.

I also have an '09 Rubicon. Reading this thread got me to thinking about a Jeep trip. I'm in Ohio. Where could I go within reason to enjoy lots of miles of good woodsy off pavement stuff? Nothing too extreme, as I would have the girlfriend and two Jack Russel Terrorists in tow. But nothing too boring either. Run of the mill gravel roads aren't particularly interesting since I live on one But some trails, mountain two-track etc., might be interesting.

Suggestions? PM me if you'd like...

Thanks for tolerating the interruption!
Don't know squat about Ohio, but I suggest you post a similar query on a few 4X4 sites as well, if you haven't already. There are probably local clubs that could help as well.

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #97
werewasi

Oddometer: n/a
Right, found Homer's oddessy after a bit of jumping round.
So having discounted staying at Jellico's D I motel which I said got a ratshite rating, you thought of going to Mr Patel's best value american, but I just read the "frozen Guys" RR and they stayed there, giving it a -F rating.
Best not to say anything.

By the way - who's sewing your buttons back on these days?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:14 AM   #98
x32792 OP
Cracker American

Welcome Aboard David

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewasi
Right, found Homer's oddessy after a bit of jumping round.
So having discounted staying at Jellico's D I motel which I said got a ratshite rating, you thought of going to Mr Patel's best value american, but I just read the "frozen Guys" RR and they stayed there, giving it a -F rating.
Best not to say anything.

By the way - who's sewing your buttons back on these days?
Welcome aboard David. Thought we'd lost you...

Speaking of "Homer's Odyssey," everyone should see "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" at least two time. Why I myself have seen it four or five times. IMHO, I think this movie goes a long way in capturing the essence of rural Southern humor.

In this same movie, they even make a reference to the TAT in the clip below entitled "Geographical Oddity."

Who's sowing on the buttons? For now, I just buy new shirts when the buttons fall off.

When this is over, maybe I should come down to your part of the World for a visual-look around? Maybe do a few thousand miles of 4x4 adventure? I don't drink beer, but I do almost speak the language...What's the worst that could happen?

John
Old 05-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #99
werewasi

Oddometer: n/a
5.14 am EST so add a couple of hours. Makes it 3am in the morning.

Are you having all night parties out there or is it that the camp is on high bear alert.

As regards coming here and thinking that you've mastered the lingo, you'll give yourself away if you say things like:

"why I myself have seen it four or five times" This is a confederate colloquiallism that is a dead give away. They'll lynch you.

Apart from that, for a man on his own, (and no winch) you're doing well.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #100
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 16,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
Don't know squat about Ohio, but I suggest you post a similar query on a few 4X4 sites as well, if you haven't already. There are probably local clubs that could help as well.
Not Ohio per se, the point being as much as I want to I'm not going to make it to Moab and back in a week. Too much time to get there and back, not enough time to explore.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #101
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 39,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
Not Ohio per se, the point being as much as I want to I'm not going to make it to Moab and back in a week. Too much time to get there and back, not enough time to explore.

Well, I hope you have fun whatever you decide to do.

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #102
x32792 OP
Cracker American

Last of AR

Up and rolling early. These were taken this morning at AR 280-290.

A little later, I reached White Rock Mt. The road is steep, twisty and dotted with stones popping up from the trail. The rocks range in size from a five gallon bucket to much larger. Only a very few were high enough to damage an oil pan, but they did make the going slow and made me wish I had 10" to 12" of travel in my shocks like a DS bike. On this road were the first DS and ATVs I had seen on my trip.

Catalapa, AR, population 15 people and 20 dogs. I had breakfast here, introduced myself to the Mayor and visited with 11 of the 15 residents.

One old guy told me, "Now if you want a real town. They got one down the road about 3 miles...They got 30 people."

As the cafe cleared, the residents went outside to sit on the porch, drink their 5th or 6th cup of coffee, laugh, visit and swap stories. They seemed to really enjoy each other. First liar didn't stand a chance.

And now Warloop Rd...Reported to be the toughest 6-8 miles on the Eastern part of the TAT and you will not get any disagreement from me. The first part is just your average garden variety single lane mud road until you reach the small sign which says IMPASSABLE ROAD AHEAD.

After the warning sign, Warloop goes literally down hill and becomes increasing more narrow and wetter. It was not long before I was sweeping branches out of the way with my windshield. The ground got softer and wetter the more you went down the hill.

I came to a full stop when I reached a large stone outcropping. On the backside of the stones was a sharp drop. I was pretty sure I could get over them. Maybe I'd drag my frame, but gravity was on my side. It could be done.

Beyond the outcrop, the Warloop got even more narrow, softer and wetter. The mud beyond the rocks was deep and there was no space to turn around.

I was concerned my 30" A/T and relatively low clearance would not let me get back over the rocks even if I could get turned around.

After walking around and looking at the situation from every angle, I decided to turn my rig around, tuck my tail between my legs and pull back up the hill.

The rest of the day has been pretty uneventful with the except of helping stop a run away horse.

Traveling down an elevated portion of roadway outside of Moutainburg looking for gasoline, I saw a man riding a horse. As I approached, the horse started bucking and threw the rider. The rider was dragged, but held on until the rein in his hand broke. The horse turned and ran in the same direction I was going. When I got in front of the horse, I turned sharply and drove down the grassy embankment (which will get higher and higher each time I tell this story) blocking the horse's path. His ears were back and he was chewing at his bit trying to spit it out. Distracted by me, the rider was able to grab the horse and get him under control.

"Are you OK? I thought he'd kicked you in the head."

Smiling and uninjured, he gave me the thumbs up sign and said, "He tried...Thanks."

It's been a long day. Now in a motel operated by yet another Mr Patel and trying to resist the temptation to smash Nuvi into little pieces.

John
Old 05-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #103
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 812
Keep going. Knowing the limitations of you and your vehicle are very important. It all adds to the adventure.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #104
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
I forget, did you bring an air compressor of some sort? If you did then you can air down your tires for increased grip over rocks and soft dirt.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #105
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTZDR
... I also noticed that all the nail salons are owned by Nguyens. I wonder if that's a similar thing.
Nguven is a family name and the Vietnamese equivalent of Smith or Jones.

basketcase is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: