Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #121
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by x32792
And now Warloop Rd...Reported to be the toughest 6-8 miles on the Eastern part of the TAT and you will not get any disagreement from me. The first part is just your average garden variety single lane mud road until you reach the small sign which says IMPASSABLE ROAD AHEAD.

After the warning sign, Warloop goes literally down hill and becomes increasing more narrow and wetter. It was not long before I was sweeping branches out of the way with my windshield. The ground got softer and wetter the more you went down the hill.

I came to a full stop when I reached a large stone outcropping. On the backside of the stones was a sharp drop. I was pretty sure I could get over them. Maybe I'd drag my frame, but gravity was on my side. It could be done.

Beyond the outcrop, the Warloop got even more narrow, softer and wetter. The mud beyond the rocks was deep and there was no space to turn around.

I was concerned my 30" A/T and relatively low clearance would not let me get back over the rocks even if I could get turned around.

After walking around and looking at the situation from every angle, I decided to turn my rig around, tuck my tail between my legs and pull back up the hill.
I know you have to be careful traveling by yourself, but I think you could have made Warloop. You were pretty much at the worst spot of it.

Enjoying the trip. Keep writing!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #122
cirrus365
beaned

Oddometer: 267
Looks like a lot of fun in the Jeep!

The rocks are piled up to serve as an anchor or cornerpost for the the wire fence.

and Vinita is pronounced more like Va-nee-tah not "vee-in-net-ta"

You were in beautiful and remote country today. Tomorrow will be No-mans land. lol
cirrus365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #123
DCZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I'm enjoying your report very much - it's sometimes difficult to convey the situation in pics as it unfolds. There's always the second guessers and armchair quarterbacks but you're the one that has to deal with the consequences of your choice of route or line.
Cindy and I took an adventure ride today of our own - to Snyder, Tx. We'll be here 'till noon tomorrow(had to come here for a safety class) then on to Carlsbad then backroads to Alamagordo then back to Colo.

I'll stay in touch - if it looks like you're going to beat me to SW Colo we'll hightail it home.

Rick
DCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #124
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
No, I didn't bring an air up (and down) system.
Going back through your trip report and caught this....

PLEASE oh PLEASE tell me you brought an air compressor?!? Hate to know you got a flat, put your spare on and get another flat, then stuck with two flats... if your spare even has air in it!
Make a stop at the next wally world and get you a bloody air pump and a cheapo tire plug kit, will yah! Unprepared son of A.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #125
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,430
Airing down is a must for off road travel, better traction and smoother ride.
Compressor is one of the first things I do to my Jeeps, got a Warn power plant on the newest one, they work pretty well. I can go from 13 to 25 lbs. in 50 seconds on a 33" tire.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #126
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 42,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail

PLEASE oh PLEASE tell me you brought an air compressor?!? Hate to know you got a flat, put your spare on and get another flat, then stuck with two flats... if your spare even has air in it!
Make a stop at the next wally world and get you a bloody air pump and a cheapo tire plug kit, will yah! Unprepared son of A.

Big problem with the typical WallyWorld/Costco air pump is the very low/stroke air volume; it takes forever to air up even a single tire (and mine are only 31/10.5s).

I use a set of Staun deflators (otherwise airing down is a major pain) and a twin cylinder low pressure/high volume pump (cost me about $50). This is one of a number of areas where I don't scrimp. You don't want your decision on airing down/up to be influenced by what a pain it is without the right tools!

Edit: Just as an example, my pump will raise the pressure in one of my tires from 15# (my typical choice for most soft sand situations) back to 35# in less than one minute. And my Stauns will knock all four tires down to 15# in less than two minutes.

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana

summerinmaine screwed with this post 05-04-2010 at 12:33 PM
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #127
Dave Edwards
Carminian

Oddometer: 266
Thanks

John---Thanks very much for the trip report so far. I really enjoy your story and pics. For all of us working bastages in Illinois-----------get 'er done !!!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #128
x32792 OP
Cracker American

Oddometer: 616
A beacon to old men everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Edwards
John---Thanks very much for the trip report so far. I really enjoy your story and pics. For all of us working bastages in Illinois-----------get 'er done !!!
You're welcome. Just trying to do my part and be a beacon to old men, shut-in's and those trapped in cubicles against their free will.

STILL in OK. Will post pix and report shortly.

John

PS

I once flew to Chicago just to have some of those wonderful Chicago Hot Dogs...OK, I also went to attend a Packaging Expo...but the Chicago
Dogs were my primary reason for going.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #129
x32792 OP
Cracker American

No Air, Just A Spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail

I don't carry no stinking air up and down system. All that sort of stuff in carried in the 3 air conditioned support vehicles behind me.

No air, just one spare. Life's an adventure...Live it...travel without a net! Read my profile.

John

PS

In case of two flats or major mechanical breakdown, I have a CB and cell phone...Then there's alway walking out for help or pitching my tent and waiting for someone to find me. I got enough Ramen Noodles and extra water to last for two or three days...I'll be alright unless the bears, cows, horses or deer flies carry me off.

x32792 screwed with this post 05-04-2010 at 02:55 PM
x32792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #130
x32792 OP
Cracker American

Still In OK

Earlier today...Just how big is this darn thing?

It just rolls on and on...

And they are in the roads, run in front of you and for good measure, they double back.

Today, the roads were hard, dry and fast, but these ruts did not make themselves.

This is what Mr Kelly of Kelly Oil and Vinnie the Snake warned me about. West of Hwy 81 and under the "right" conditions, the mud in OK will stop you....But not today, I was highballing down those back roads at speeds approaching and sometimes exceeding 50 mph!

Wild Caters in Two-Weeks-From-Everywhere, OK drilling for oil.

OK Convenience Stop.

So I'm motoring down the dry, fast roads and haven't seen so much as a pick up truck in over 30 miles when suddenly I see something running across the road. There's a bunch of them and they look like fat little rats with short legs. They have pot bellies and their tails are pointing straight up to the sky.

I then realize they are Prairie Dogs. They were too quick, I was too slow or both, but I couldn't get a good shot and pinched the one above off the web.

They ran from burrow to burrow, stopped, looked at me, and then shook their tails in defiance. I now realize they must have been across the road in Farmer Brown's wheat fields when I came on them.

Afraid to even look at the map...There may be 900 more miles of OK?

John

x32792 screwed with this post 05-04-2010 at 02:57 PM
x32792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #131
x32792 OP
Cracker American

Dove Creek, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCZ
I'm enjoying your report very much - it's sometimes difficult to convey the situation in pics as it unfolds. There's always the second guessers and armchair quarterbacks but you're the one that has to deal with the consequences of your choice of route or line.
Cindy and I took an adventure ride today of our own - to Snyder, Tx. We'll be here 'till noon tomorrow(had to come here for a safety class) then on to Carlsbad then backroads to Alamagordo then back to Colo.

I'll stay in touch - if it looks like you're going to beat me to SW Colo we'll hightail it home.

Rick
Rick,

Tonight, I'm only about 6-8 hours from NM. From there, I'll head up to Trinidad where I'll be told the high passes are closed. I'll then drop under CO and swing back up to Dove Creek.

CO will still be there after my grand tour of UT.

John
Old 05-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #132
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Quote:
I don't carry no stinking air up and down system. All that sort of stuff in carried in the 3 air conditioned support vehicles behind me.

No air, just one spare. Life's an adventure...Live it...travel without a net! Read my profile.

John

PS

In case of two flats or major mechanical breakdown, I have a CB and cell phone...Then there's alway walking out for help or pitching my tent and waiting for someone to find me. I got enough Ramen Noodles and extra water to last for two or three days...I'll be alright unless the bears, cows, horses or deer flies carry me off.

John,

JMO but having an adventure doesn't mean going into the wilderness unprepared; it means going into the wilderness prepared but willing to face the unexpected.

Enjoy,

Jim

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
Old 05-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #133
x32792 OP
Cracker American

Jeep Set Up(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
Airing down is a must for off road travel, better traction and smoother ride.
Compressor is one of the first things I do to my Jeeps, got a Warn power plant on the newest one, they work pretty well. I can go from 13 to 25 lbs. in 50 seconds on a 33" tire.
33's with a lift and air system is a great set up for off road, but again, everything is a compromise. Each set up is loaded to meet a specific application or usage.

The portion of the TAT I'm running is a blend of many different conditions and I don't think any one set up is ideal for everything I have or will encounter.

John
Old 05-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #134
x32792 OP
Cracker American

The TAT is a wilderness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
John,

JMO but having an adventure doesn't mean going into the wilderness unprepared; it means going into the wilderness prepared but willing to face the unexpected.

Enjoy,

Jim
Jim,

If you think the TAT is a wilderness, I don't even know how to respond to your comments.

John
Old 05-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #135
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Quote:
Jim,

If you think the TAT is a wilderness, I don't even know how to respond to your comments.

John
Have you ever heard of guys who drowned in a 6" deep puddle of water? Same thing.

It's a wilderness if you are depending on the "kindness of strangers" to save your bacon.

ps. Sorry if I misinterpreted. I had thought you were asking for some opinions from those of us that have been doing this kind of stuff for more than 40 years.

So, never mind . . . carry on!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: