Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #196
ChrisZ
Exploring, Not Lost

Oddometer: 175
are they loud enough to use with earplugs?

rapidly approaching the point where I really need an intercom system that won't make me nuts... So using the Sena with its helmet speakers, are they loud enough to hear clearly if we go back to using earplugs? Subjective, I know.. but is anyone using the SMH10 with earplugs? They look awesome, volume with speakers is the only real issue. Using Etymotics now, but would prefer to ditch those wires if I can and go earplugs and helmet speakers.

NYC, NY (Until 3rd May, anyway)
www.ChristopherZguris.com / New York to Ohio, Via Canada and Montana 2010: 4 Weeks On The Road
ChrisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #197
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 907
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZ
rapidly approaching the point where I really need an intercom system that won't make me nuts... So using the Sena with its helmet speakers, are they loud enough to hear clearly if we go back to using earplugs? Subjective, I know.. but is anyone using the SMH10 with earplugs? They look awesome, volume with speakers is the only real issue. Using Etymotics now, but would prefer to ditch those wires if I can and go earplugs and helmet speakers.
Hi Chris:

Good question. There are a few dependencies, here. Type of helmet and how noisy it is. Bike with a fairing how how well it diverts the wind around your head - and your pillion's head? Solid earplugs or foam? If solid, do they have filters to permit speech or music to pass? How good your hearing is, is also a factor.

Generally, the feedback our customer's give us is this... Foam ear plugs, no problem. Solid ear plugs with filters - OK, but the volume on phone calls thru a Zumo may be a bit low. Solid ear plugs, no filters, noisy helmet/bike and the volume may not be sufficient... or it may.

There - did I confuse you enough?
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #198
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph
We used ours in the rain (admittedly not a frog straggler) and did not have a problem.

Each unit does have two rubber flaps (one for the charge cord & one for the 3.5mm jack) that need to be securely closed, but they're easy to do and seem pretty secure.
The 'main unit' also has a gasket that seals the front and back covers, there's a gasket between the cover and the multi-pin connector/interface from main unit to clamp unit. Even the screws that hold the case together are sealed with silicone.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 09-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #199
ChrisZ
Exploring, Not Lost

Oddometer: 175
Hmm.. not quite sufficiently confused yet.

Last setup was helmet speakers driven by a Boostaroo with iPod as music source.

Thru Max Leight (sp?) foam earplugs I could hear music. It was low of course, but listenable.

So I guess the question is: is the SENA volume loud enough to be REALLY loud? I mean, if you didn't have the helmet on, and just ramped the volume ALL THE WAY UP from an audio player, are you hearing the music blaring out of that helmet? Sort of like - if you will - "for the love of GOD, you'll damage your hearing!!" volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto
Hi Chris:

Good question. There are a few dependencies, here. Type of helmet and how noisy it is. Bike with a fairing how how well it diverts the wind around your head - and your pillion's head? Solid earplugs or foam? If solid, do they have filters to permit speech or music to pass? How good your hearing is, is also a factor.

Generally, the feedback our customer's give us is this... Foam ear plugs, no problem. Solid ear plugs with filters - OK, but the volume on phone calls thru a Zumo may be a bit low. Solid ear plugs, no filters, noisy helmet/bike and the volume may not be sufficient... or it may.

There - did I confuse you enough?

NYC, NY (Until 3rd May, anyway)
www.ChristopherZguris.com / New York to Ohio, Via Canada and Montana 2010: 4 Weeks On The Road
ChrisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #200
johnparjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Received my two units today and Ive got an extremely loud buzzing with my iphone 4 running the newest OS Im going to re pair then try again in the morning.
johnparjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #201
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr
Received my two units today and Ive got an extremely loud buzzing with my iphone 4 running the newest OS Im going to re pair then try again in the morning.
Weird... Call us if we can help.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 09-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #202
johnparjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto
Weird... Call us if we can help.

It doesnt always happen but is very annoying Im going to try the other unit to see if maybe this one is defective
Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #203
johnparjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Tried the other unit and it does the same thing I called and left a message for you
Old 10-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #204
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr
Tried the other unit and it does the same thing I called and left a message for you
John:

Just sent you an email. Best if we can talk on phone and we can help you sort out the issue. It will be helpful if you have an alternate mobile phone to pair with, as a comparison. Since it's happening with both headsets - it could be an issue with the phone. I have an iPhone4, and it pairs up, no problem.

I also sent you Sena's contact info.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 10-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #205
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZ
Hmm.. not quite sufficiently confused yet.

Last setup was helmet speakers driven by a Boostaroo with iPod as music source.

Thru Max Leight (sp?) foam earplugs I could hear music. It was low of course, but listenable.

So I guess the question is: is the SENA volume loud enough to be REALLY loud? I mean, if you didn't have the helmet on, and just ramped the volume ALL THE WAY UP from an audio player, are you hearing the music blaring out of that helmet? Sort of like - if you will - "for the love of GOD, you'll damage your hearing!!" volume.
Chris:

Honestly, volume hasn't been an issue on the Sena headsets. There's a Sena thread, here - and you may want to post there for opinions from other inmates.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 10-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #206
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Just got back from Color in the Catskills, which was our first attempt to use the Sena's (nothing like a long trip to work out the bugs, eh?).

Once I got my mic back into my helmet (I had tried to position it below the chinbar vent and it ended up outside the helmet), the setup worked pretty darn well. It made getting through unfamiliar territory a lot easier ("Do we really want to go that way?"), we were able to share our thoughts about Jack's ability to provide good routing information (Jack being my Garmin 2610), and when I turned right in front of Maria (she was expecting me to take the following right, half a block later), her exclamation in the intercom (combined with some swerving and some luck) meant that it was a close call, not a collision.

So, all in all, I'm feeling pretty happy with the purchase. We didn't have them in VOX mode; my intent had been to turn on and off the channel as necessary, but it ended up being easier to just leave the channel open the whole time. I suspect that could be a battery-drain issue on a longer ride, but over the 6-ish hours it took from Vermont to Hunter, they worked great.

Oh, and a big also for the quick shipping—I ordered the set on Wednesday and had it Thursday, providing plenty of time to be ready for leaving on Friday.

thanks!
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #207
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Do you guys take PayPal? And I assume to get it to work with earbuds, I would need to order the kit, then the earbud clamp as an accessory? Or can you order an Earbud version kit?

Thanks

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #208
mystic red
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
O.K., I've had the system for a couple of months now and it rocks. Took the wife on a 1000 mile trip to the coast and back thru B.C. the first week we got them. It was my wife's first trip on her own ride and being able to talk to her as she went thru a long list of "firsts" was invaluable.
It was a little weird to be filling up both bikes at a gas station while she was inside buying snacks and drinks, asking me what I wanted while she poked around inside. I went in the bathroom and she started talking to me while I'm "indisposed." "Honey, I'm a little busy in here!"
Gotta call for the 303 clamp though. I'm spoiled with earbud sound.
mystic red is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #209
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget
Do you guys take PayPal? And I assume to get it to work with earbuds, I would need to order the kit, then the earbud clamp as an accessory? Or can you order an Earbud version kit?

Thanks
Hey G-G-G:

The earbud clamps are sold as accessories, only. Otherwise the number of headset kit combinations would get a bit out of hand to keep in stock - singles, duals, and four versions of clamp units.

We do *reluctantly* take Paypal. I say that because the fees for a seller are absurd, and it's a hassle. If you don't have a credit card - and we take all the major's - then Paypal, it is.

Give us a call on 877.533.4245 and we'll get you rollin'. Ask for Dave or me.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

RocketMoto screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 09:49 PM
Old 10-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #210
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Ok, cool. I can transfer money from my PP acct to my bank acct. It is just that PP is like free money. Free as in my wife does not track that.

Is the pricing the same as your first post? I have not scrolled through all 14 pages. And how much extra for the earbud clamp?

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote