Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #1216
AdvRydr
De asini vmbra disceptare

Oddometer: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
In four years, we've had a very small number of water intrusion issues on the SMH10. My guess is the one's that had trouble may not have had the gasket under the back cover positioned properly at the factory. Keep the rubber plug over the USB socket and you should be good.
We haven't had trouble yet (haven't even opened the box) but notice that these aren't ip67 rated, unlike the scalas and interphones. I was really looking forward to trying something other than the scala models, and everything else about the SMH10 seems so great. If the SMH20 is going to be waterproof, I'd almost just wait for it to be released.

AdvRydr screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 06:44 PM
AdvRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #1217
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRydr View Post
We haven't had trouble yet (haven't even opened the box) but notice that these aren't ip67 rated, unlike the scalas and interphones. I was really looking forward to trying something other than the scala models, and everything else about the SMH10 seems so great. If the SMH20 is going to be waterproof, I'd almost just wait for it to be released.
The initial specs on the 20S do not indicate an IP rating. I'll drop them a note for some input.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #1218
AdvRydr
De asini vmbra disceptare

Oddometer: 3,229
Thanks RocketMoto!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #1219
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRydr View Post
I have ridden with my Sena SMH-10 all day long in pouring rain many, many times and I have not had a bit of trouble. Most recently was about 3 weeks ago when I rode for 250 miles on a day when we got almost 2 inches of rain. I make no attempt to protect the unit from the rain and I have had it for 3 or 4 years at this point.

Don't get too hung up on the IP specs. These units are fine in the rain.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #1220
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
I have ridden with my Sena SMH-10 all day long in pouring rain many, many times and I have not had a bit of trouble. Most recently was about 3 weeks ago when I rode for 250 miles on a day when we got almost 2 inches of rain. I make no attempt to protect the unit from the rain and I have had it for 3 or 4 years at this point.

Don't get too hung up on the IP specs. These units are fine in the rain.

+1 I have been in torrential downpours with my SMH-10's and haven't had any problems.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:01 AM   #1221
ClydeMI
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I have plans to do an Iron Butt (BB1500) this Summer and want to use my SMH10 for music during the trip. The awesome battery life of the unit still isn't going to be a match for the amount of time I'll be riding. I have on-board USB charging, but went ahead and ordered a 10K mAh portable power supply. The thought behind the power supply is that I can plug it into the Sena and put the battery inside my jacket so that I'm still not tethered to the bike.

Has anyone tried to charge the SMH10 while using it? Does it charge at all? How much of a hit on charging time does it make? If I have to be more proactive and plug the unit in to charge before I actually run out of battery, I can do that, but I tend to run the Sena all the way down, then plug it in after I get to my destination.
ClydeMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:13 AM   #1222
Luckycharms
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Many IBA members use the Sena and use this technique of the external battery. Yes it works while charging. The most preferred technique is to charge it every other or every third gas stop. Plug it in at a gas stop and then unplug it and stow in the tankbag next time you stop for gas. I've gotten 10-12+ hours out of a single battery charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeMI View Post
I have plans to do an Iron Butt (BB1500) this Summer and want to use my SMH10 for music during the trip. The awesome battery life of the unit still isn't going to be a match for the amount of time I'll be riding. I have on-board USB charging, but went ahead and ordered a 10K mAh portable power supply. The thought behind the power supply is that I can plug it into the Sena and put the battery inside my jacket so that I'm still not tethered to the bike.

Has anyone tried to charge the SMH10 while using it? Does it charge at all? How much of a hit on charging time does it make? If I have to be more proactive and plug the unit in to charge before I actually run out of battery, I can do that, but I tend to run the Sena all the way down, then plug it in after I get to my destination.
Luckycharms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:49 AM   #1223
ClydeMI
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckycharms View Post
Many IBA members use the Sena and use this technique of the external battery. Yes it works while charging. The most preferred technique is to charge it every other or every third gas stop. Plug it in at a gas stop and then unplug it and stow in the tankbag next time you stop for gas. I've gotten 10-12+ hours out of a single battery charge.
Great! Thanks for the feedback.

I get 10+ hours of use out of the device without going to any special measures for charging, but if I'm going to be on the road for something in the neighborhood of 20 hours, I don't expect the SENA battery to last that whole time. I believe it's "kinder" to batteries to charge them when they need it, and some batteries have a relatively finite number of charge cycles in their usable life span, so I try to wait until the battery runs low before plugging it in. Under extraordinary circumstances (like an Iron Butt), I'm willing to modify my behavior in favor of reliability!
ClydeMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #1224
Wise Guy
Soitenly!

Oddometer: 76
I'm in for a 20S dual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
We will do an ADV group buy for the 20S. Supposed to be available in the first quarter of 2014.
Please add me to your group buy list for the upcoming 20S. Was leaning toward the SMH10, but this really looks like a nice step forward in technology.

Besides, I've been looking for an excuse to throw some business your way...ever since I learned your shop is about 10 minutes from my house!
Wise Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #1225
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
This just made my Jensen jdh910 bt radio obsolete. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...-jhd910-radio/
Old 01-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #1226
Flying Tivo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Rocketmoto

Any news on the sena 20S??? Preorders?

Felipe
Old 01-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #1227
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,649
Sena SMH10 - Inmate's Special GROUP BUY!

I'm also all ears about the new 20. Spring is coming!
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #1228
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Tivo View Post
Any news on the sena 20S??? Preorders?

Felipe
We are compiling an interest list. PM me with your email, name and phone. We'll get with you when we know more.

I checked with the sales VP at Sena earlier this week. Only thing they are hearing from the factory is 'soon'. So, for whatever that's worth, that's the latest.

We may start accepting pre-orders and you'll be able to accept or decline once we know what the firm pricing will look like.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #1229
Need For Speed
Ridin' fool(ishly)

Oddometer: 108
PM sent.
'13 ZX14R - fulfiller of adrenaline needs
It's the journey, NOT the destination
Need For Speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #1230
kencc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Guy View Post
Please add me to your group buy list for the upcoming 20S. Was leaning toward the SMH10, but this really looks like a nice step forward in technology.

Besides, I've been looking for an excuse to throw some business your way...ever since I learned your shop is about 10 minutes from my house!
+1 add me also Pm sent