Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #1411
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair of SMH-10's with the universal mics, this weekend, and I still have a couple unanswered questions. What's the life expectancy of the unit, under normal use and barring any abuse and damage? Primarily the battery? I understand that the battery will be replaced under warranty in the first 2 years, but what about after that? As a guy who's cell phones always crap out 1 month after the warranty expires, I'd like to know. Can the battery be replaced in the field, or is it like changing an iPhone battery, doable, but a PITA? Can they be sent in to sena and replaced for a fee (less than a new complete unit)?

And with the units themselves, if I plan to run earbuds rather than speakers, do the speakers unplug and the earbud plugs in? Is there anywhere detailed pics are shown, or drawings, so I can see where the connections are? Does anyone switch back and forth between earbuds and speakers? I would exclusively roll with ear buds, but PMRchic would use speakers in her helmet.

And then lastly, if I had a couple helmets I was going to use with the unit, I would just need a new mount, not a new BT unit, right? Probably an extra mic so I didn't have to pull it out of my street helmet and install it in my dual sport helmet. PMRchic doesn't ride much (hopefully she'll ride more if she can talk with me while were riding) so I could use "hers" in my other helmet and not have to buy 3 units.

I guess I've always wondered about the mics on a FF helmet, is the universal the best for this application, or does the boom mic work better for some FF helmets.

Thanks,

PMR
I've had two of the original version of the SMH10 since they first came out. The batteries are fine, but that doesn't really tell you anything, since I have no idea how many hours they've been operated, or how many charge cycles they've been through. I have no idea how to change a battery.

For what it's worth, I also just bought a third SMH10 two months ago to fit to a new helmet (couldn't wait for the new 20s).

I run only earbuds; my wife uses the helmet speakers that came with the original unit. To use earbuds, you must buy an optional helmet clamp kit designed for earbuds (obviously has no speakers, but a place to plug in your earbud cable). That optional clamp kit is what you install on the helmet and then the main BT module simply snaps into place onto that clamp. I'm using boom mics on the original two units, but a wired mic (velcroed to the chin bar on my new Shoei GT Air) on my newest SMH10. Both work, but I prefer the wired mic (wire is very thin/light) as it's less intrusive.

And yes, if you have more than one helmet, you simply need another helmet clamp kit and just move the main BT module from one to the other.

My advice is to talk to RocketMoto and they'll answer all your questions and suggest exactly what you need to buy for your requirements.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #1412
Lifes2short
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Battery life - our units are now just over 2 years old. We typically get 2 days out of a charge. That's using them for about 8 hrs each day and turning them off when we stop and get off the bike.

We just did a 13 hour day where we talked and streamed music almost the entire day to both our headsets and mine died after about 11.5 hrs or so. But I was sharing music with my wife via my headset, which I get the impression decreases my battery life a bit. This was also with turning them both off when we stopped for a break.

Again, that's after 2 years, so I'm pretty happy. Makes the decision to upgrade to the 20's a bit harder as I'm not sure I need to.
Lifes2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #1413
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
I've had two of the original version of the SMH10 since they first came out. The batteries are fine, but that doesn't really tell you anything, since I have no idea how many hours they've been operated, or how many charge cycles they've been through. I have no idea how to change a battery.

For what it's worth, I also just bought a third SMH10 two months ago to fit to a new helmet (couldn't wait for the new 20s).

I run only earbuds; my wife uses the helmet speakers that came with the original unit. To use earbuds, you must buy an optional helmet clamp kit designed for earbuds (obviously has no speakers, but a place to plug in your earbud cable). That optional clamp kit is what you install on the helmet and then the main BT module simply snaps into place onto that clamp. I'm using boom mics on the original two units, but a wired mic (velcroed to the chin bar on my new Shoei GT Air) on my newest SMH10. Both work, but I prefer the wired mic (wire is very thin/light) as it's less intrusive.

And yes, if you have more than one helmet, you simply need another helmet clamp kit and just move the main BT module from one to the other.

My advice is to talk to RocketMoto and they'll answer all your questions and suggest exactly what you need to buy for your requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifes2short View Post
Battery life - our units are now just over 2 years old. We typically get 2 days out of a charge. That's using them for about 8 hrs each day and turning them off when we stop and get off the bike.

We just did a 13 hour day where we talked and streamed music almost the entire day to both our headsets and mine died after about 11.5 hrs or so. But I was sharing music with my wife via my headset, which I get the impression decreases my battery life a bit. This was also with turning them both off when we stopped for a break.

Again, that's after 2 years, so I'm pretty happy. Makes the decision to upgrade to the 20's a bit harder as I'm not sure I need to.
I've had a couple emails with Adam, but I'm still not clear what I need. Sounds like if I buy the universal mic set, I still need the earbud clamp? Without seeing pictures of these things with a label I'm not sure what it is. Does the earbud clamp replace the helmet clamp that comes with the set? Can you use the regular speakers with the earbud clamp? Or are the speakers hard wired to the clamp? On the universal mic sets, it shows a boom mic as well; does that mean I can swap back and forth between boom mic and universal mic? I wish there was someplace I could see one of these and look at all the options. The different websites have the units intermixed with cables and other accessories, it's hard for me to study the pics and decipher the differences.

And I was wondering what the life expectancy is on these things, with normal, careful use? I understand how long the batteries will last on a charge (talk time, standby time) but how many years are people getting out of these things? 2 years? 5 years? And if the battery ever gets to where it doesn't take a charge, is replacing the whole BT unit the way to fix it? If the BT unit goes tits up after 5 or more years, not a big deal, I'm sure everyone's got plenty of use out of it. But if they die in the 3rd year, or right after the warranty expires, that would be irritating. That's all I was wondering. Thanks!
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #1414
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
I've had a couple emails with Adam, but I'm still not clear what I need. Sounds like if I buy the universal mic set, I still need the earbud clamp? Without seeing pictures of these things with a label I'm not sure what it is. Does the earbud clamp replace the helmet clamp that comes with the set? Can you use the regular speakers with the earbud clamp? Or are the speakers hard wired to the clamp? On the universal mic sets, it shows a boom mic as well; does that mean I can swap back and forth between boom mic and universal mic? I wish there was someplace I could see one of these and look at all the options. The different websites have the units intermixed with cables and other accessories, it's hard for me to study the pics and decipher the differences......
When I bought a new SMH10 for my new helmet two months ago, I simply bought the "bare" bluetooth module, plus one of the optional the helmet clamp kits for earbuds. You'd obviously need things a wall charger etc. It might make more sense to buy a dual kit and add on one of the optional helmet clamp kits for earbuds, rather than buy everything you need piecemeal. I don't know. You'd have to ask Adam what makes more sense in your particular case.

You are correct, the helmet clamp kit for earbuds replaces the regular helmet clamp that would come in the standard kit. You'd mount the optional clamp on the helmet and snap in the main bluetooth module. The optional earbud clamp has no speakers; it has a port and a short coiled cable. One end of that cable plugs into the port on the clamp; the other (female) end accepts the male end of the cable that comes with whatever earbuds you have. The optional clamp kit for earbuds that I bought came with both a boom mic and a wired mic. You simply choose which one you prefer, plug it into the clamp and run the wire/boom however makes the most sense for you. I chose to use the wired mic and it just velcroed it to the inside of the chinbar area of my FF helmet (velcro was supplied). Hiding the thin wire that ran back to the clamp on the helmet was easy. It just went behind the removeable cheek pads for most of its run.

No, you cannot use speakers with the optional earbud clamp (it does not come with speakers and there's no place to plug them in, or otherwise attach them. You have to decide if you want to use speakers, or earbuds, but not both. Otherwise you'd buy both types of clamps and be swapping them out. That doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Yes, on the standard clamp, the speakers are hard-wired. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the new 20s from SENA gives you the option of earbuds, or speakers without changing clamps (I haven't seen one, so I don't know how they do that.Obviously a port for earbuds and presumably speakers that are plug 'n play?)
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #1415
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,052
Sena SMH10 - Inmate's Special GROUP BUY!

Earbud/speaker kit comes with the ability to use either the buds or stock speakers.
Rocket Moto will also upgrade to Torx speakers if so desired

:edit
this is for the SMH10's

enduro0125 screwed with this post 07-04-2014 at 05:24 AM
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #1416
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Came home to a very large box on my front step. Shipper? ROCKETMOTO

Inside, lots of Rocketmoto goodness to include the new Sena 20!!!

Thanks Adam and Jeanette for the awesome service!!
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:42 AM   #1417
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

I'm moto camping this weekend and on the fringe of 3G service, so it's hard right now to compare all of this. And when there are SMH-10 units and SMH10 units, plus ?SH units, plus other letter designators, it gets confusing. I've been looking at RM's site for awhile, and last nite was looking at Sena's site, as well as Revzilla and eBay, I did see a Sena clamp on eBay that let's you use either speakers or buds, as well as boom or wired mic. Not that I need, or want, that option. If you know what you want the websites are easy to navigate, but if you're just getting started and don't know what you need, or what's even available, the sites can be a bit awkward.

Anyway, I have a pretty good idea what I want, thanks for the advice and suggestions. I need to place my order so that I don't end up with parts I'll never use. Ideally I need one setup with speakers and wired mic (for PMRchic), one setup with wired mic and ear buds for me, and probably another ear bud / wired mic clamp kit for my dual sport helmet. I also want the SR-10 for an upcoming trip where the other riders use CB radios instead of BT intercoms, and a patch cord for my Midland portable. Then I should be in biddness!

PMR
Old 07-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #1418
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
I'm moto camping this weekend and on the fringe of 3G service, so it's hard right now to compare all of this. And when there are SMH-10 units and SMH10 units, plus ?SH units, plus other letter designators, it gets confusing. I've been looking at RM's site for awhile, and last nite was looking at Sena's site, as well as Revzilla and eBay, I did see a Sena clamp on eBay that let's you use either speakers or buds, as well as boom or wired mic. Not that I need, or want, that option. If you know what you want the websites are easy to navigate, but if you're just getting started and don't know what you need, or what's even available, the sites can be a bit awkward.

Anyway, I have a pretty good idea what I want, thanks for the advice and suggestions. I need to place my order so that I don't end up with parts I'll never use. Ideally I need one setup with speakers and wired mic (for PMRchic), one setup with wired mic and ear buds for me, and probably another ear bud / wired mic clamp kit for my dual sport helmet. I also want the SR-10 for an upcoming trip where the other riders use CB radios instead of BT intercoms, and a patch cord for my Midland portable. Then I should be in biddness!

PMR
seems to me you would be better with the 20s. much better for using ear buds or speakers, or both. no messing around using different clamps. they come with 3 different mic styles, again just swapping without changing clamps. also connection to CB again requires no separate clamp, just the cable.
crunchiespg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #1419
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
seems to me you would be better with the 20s. much better for using ear buds or speakers, or both. no messing around using different clamps. they come with 3 different mic styles, again just swapping without changing clamps. also connection to CB again requires no separate clamp, just the cable.
Yeahbutt I need one of then by July 25.... ;-(
Old 07-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #1420
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Yeahbutt I need one of then by July 25.... ;-(
Supplies of the 20s seem to be improving. I've seen a few in smaller stores in the last week or two so you may get lucky.
crunchiespg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #1421
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
The Sena app for iPhone was released a day or two ago. Works beautifully with the 20!
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #1422
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 917
Quote:

PMR
Hey PMR:

Sometimes this stuff is tough to sort out online. If you give us a call we'll help you come to a setup that'll do what you want, 877.533.4245. (9AM-6PM weekdays, 10-3 Saturdays, eastern time.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #1423
RocketMoto OP
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 917
Hey - you have some sort of *IN* with Rocket Moto, or sumpin'?

Thanks for the business, Greg and let us know how you like the goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
Came home to a very large box on my front step. Shipper? ROCKETMOTO

Inside, lots of Rocketmoto goodness to include the new Sena 20!!!

Thanks Adam and Jeanette for the awesome service!!
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #1424
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
Hey PMR:

Sometimes this stuff is tough to sort out online. If you give us a call we'll help you come to a setup that'll do what you want, 877.533.4245. (9AM-6PM weekdays, 10-3 Saturdays, eastern time.
Jeanette cleared up my confusion and took my order this morning. Thanks Adam, have a great weekend!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #1425
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,052

Good people at Rocket Moto.