DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #167
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
He's a beast!
I've always wondered if Ron would be faster if we could get him to stop smoking!?!?!?

If you ever line up next to a 2007 CRF250X in the Sen. C 40+ class, it may just be me. I'm signed up with NCHSA, been assigned a race number but every time there's a race, it seems like I'm forced to be somewhere else.

I'm scheduled to drive a buddy of mine to see his son race July 11th in SC. He was paralyzed in a motorcycle wreck last year :( If his van has a trailer hitch, I may just go ahead and race.

Either way, hope to run into you sometime.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #168
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
Ron smokes?! I can only imagine how much more he could go fitness wise if he didn't. I quit smoking 22 years ago, haven't lit up since.

For sure, I will keep an eye out for you. I've made a lot of friends at the races, and every time I go now I see quite a few people I know now. To me, getting to know and making new friends is one of the perks of racing the whole series.

Hope to see you out there!

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #169
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry, it's already Thursday and I haven't posted an update about the race. I was hoping to get the video actually done this time before posting, but looks like that may take a few more days.

Anyway ... you know the drill by now. Heading out in the wee hours of the morning on Sunday:

Picked up my buddy Jeff. He just got a new 300 XC. He rode a punched out yz125 before which was overbored to 134cc. He's a pretty big dude, not fat, but fit, so I'm sure the 300 will be better for him in the long run, though may take a few rides to get used to. He liked it immediately, though.

I found my way to the sign-up tent, these nice ladies are getting everyone checked in, bar codes printed out, and handing out handle bar punch cards.

This was the first time I had been to this course, Pilot Mountain. I thought the track, course, and layout was great, but it was extremely dusty which was the only down side. Other than that, it was good. There was one really awesome hill climb toward the end of the course, it was fantastic! That made the trip worth it just for that. However, the descent back down was treacherous - very narrow, extremely slick, and even steeper falls on either side. Going down was more of a controlled fall, as once you got started, good luck actually being able to stop - trees on either side, it was easy to get off course and start careening. There were several crashes on that part, and at least one medical evac.

Medical Evac. This was a young kid from the mini race that was already underway when we arrived. Hope he's OK.

Here's my panoramic of the pit area. Hard to see the all it because the elevation drops off in the distance. The start area is on the far left, goes into the woods, loops behind where I'm standing, and then comes out onto a MX track for a short distance at the far right of the photo. It then skirts the pit parking field on the right hand side, and heads into a clear cut scrub you can see off in the distance beyond the cars and trucks for most of the race. Most of the dust came from the clear cut scrub trail. In a few years once the trees get taller and that trail stays in the shade, it should be much better. After the scrub portion, the course went back into the woods, for a few downhill sections, the awesome hill climb, the treacherous descent, more woods trails, then back out into the scrub and finally into the scoring tent for a lap.

Start area, scoring tent in the background:

After signing up, I did what prep I needed to do on my bike which was not much, I like to have all that done the day before. I grabbed a few photos of the pro/AA/A race, then walked the first bit of the track and the end.

It was walking the track near the finish area when I noticed the monster hill climb. I only had my iphone with me at that point, so the pics leave a little bit to be desired.

It was STEEP! But the traction was superb. It was long, too, this is just a short segment of it. I climbed it on foot, it took a good 10 minutes or more to get to the top. That went by quick on the bike, though.

These guys were flying up it, pinned:

Psychedelic, man ... groovy:

This was on the back side, the descent. Looks like a lot of riders were introducing themselves to this tree, which happened to be right in the middle of the trail, it was tough to make the turn to avoid it:

By the time our afternoon race started, it was hot and dusty. I did not get a good start. However, I felt pretty lucky, because one guy got tangled up with the rider next to me, and the first guy ended up careening toward me somehow. It's one of those things you see out of the corner of your eye. I braced for impact, but otherwise held steady, and I felt his bike hit my rear tire or swingarm pretty hard. It jolted me, but didn't take me down.

This photo is of our start, this is not the impact I'm referring to, that had already happened. But here, we are approaching the choke point of the start, neither one of us wants to let up. You can see I have a little bit of elbow action going on there ...

This is on the MX portion of the course.

During the race, I felt pretty good, I thought I rode decent. But it only netted me an 11th place finish, out of maybe 14. I got 100th out of over 150, so about how I usually do, percentage wise. The dust was really bad for most of the race, but after the riders got spread out, it wasn't too bad. I did enjoy the track a lot, I liked it except for the dust.

At the finish, for the final bar code scan:

All in all, I consider it another good race, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The hill climb was great, and that alone was worth the trip, IMO. And on another positive note, I got to ride a Husaberg around the pits. Whoa! I will own one of those bikes someday.

Loaded up and getting ready to head out for the trip home. Most everyone had cleared out by then.

Immediately after this photo, we drove up by scoring to see how we did, and just as I was getting to the table where all the results were posted, a huge swirling wind came through like a freight train, swirling up dust, knocking over tents and canopies, and blowing all the results everywhere. One second they were taped down on the table, the next they were scattered and quickly disappearing in the distance. Then came the rain, and not only was it high wind, but it was driving rain as well. We booked it back to the truck and headed for home.

Thanks to Rae of http://www.BlueJackalPhoto.com for the photos of me on the course. She does a great job!

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F

nobrakes screwed with this post 06-10-2010 at 06:21 PM
Old 06-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #170
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,939
right on! that course looked pretty fun.... and that hillclimb looked worthwhile!

i still dont know how you guys pass in there....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #171
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,235
Great stuff there....loved the hill !!!

Eatpasta, we just had a guy join our club who moved here last week from No Cal. I told him I hoped he like sand
Tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #172
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone
Great stuff there....loved the hill !!!

Eatpasta, we just had a guy join our club who moved here last week from No Cal. I told him I hoped he like sand
heh, being from Nor Cal, I dont see how he could be that used to racing in sand. me, personally, I LOVE the sand. People get apprehensive and I hold the throttle wide open. It keeps people off my ass and at the same time I start passing guys!!

LOVE the sand
Quote:
Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 AM   #173
Wanderer13
2009 Trail #81 Champion

Oddometer: 340
Nobrakes, I looked for you on Sunday but couldn't find you. I found your bike on the starting line but no you. I worked both the noon and afternoon races to get my two work days completed. I had to punch tickets at the check point for the noon race. Man those guys are hauling a$$ and a few blew the check point because they couldn't stop in time! During the 3:15 race, I was the guy at the finish line cutting off your punch card. i will look for you at the next race.

David
Wanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #174
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Wanderer, if you were cutting the punch cards off the bars, then I have you helmet cam. I was pretty glazed at that point. Sorry we didn't get to actually meet. I put my bike up on the line shortly after the noon race started to pick my start position, then went back to the pit to relax a little before gearing up. When it was nearing race time, though, I was in the shade along the side of the start area to try and get out of the baking sun, and only came out to the bike in the last few minutes before the start as they were checking riders off on the clipboard.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #175
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

2010 Nchsa Rd 6 Pilot Mountain - Helmet Cam

Here is my helmet cam from Pilot Mountain. I really liked the course, it was a lot of fun.

http://www.vimeo.com/12521715

2010 NCHSA RD 6 PILOT MOUNTAIN from bsd512 on Vimeo.

Round 6 of the 2010 NCHSA series, helmet cam. I loved this track, it was great, though the dust got a little thick in the scrub and made it hard to see until we got spread out a bit. The hill climb was great, that was my favorite part. The descent back down the narrow trail with steep drop-offs on either side was a bit treacherous and harrowing, though. All in all, this was one of my favorite venues so far.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #176
hobie1dog
Not a Sheeple

Oddometer: 374
Wow, another enjoyable video...what a brutal course...if your camera made it look steep, it must have been a real mutha in real life. I like your under the visor mounting, it seems to give alot more elevation changes perspective.....plus we can hear all your grunts, groans, oh sh!ts, etc which always adds to the enjoyment....you should do alot more commentary.

Thanks for posting it up for us.

The things you own, end up owning you-Tyler Durden
hobie1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #177
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,125
Good stuff, Nobrakes!

Reading your ride report and seeing the pictures makes me think of two things.....

I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA AND I LOVE MOTORCYCLING!!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #178
Reckless_NZ
n00b

Oddometer: 1
cheers for the Vid No brakes!

How come you didn't race the 200 here I'd a thought the tight trails would have suited it! Less grunting required.

Great page Keep up the good work!
Reckless_NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #179
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys. While I like the 200 and could definitely get used to it, I'm more comfortable on my 450. It's such an awesome bike.

North Carolina is indeed a great place to ride and live.

Hobie1dog, if I could think of clever things to say, and I had the breath to do it, I would commentate in addition to ride. You all might not like the things I say, though. It might not be so family friendly, I would have to do a lot of bleeping.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #180
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

I keep starting your helmet footage and then this stoopid work thing keeps interrupting me....

Ive watched yer little pucker moment where the guy goes sideways on the start a few times though!

Quote: