Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #196
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
After stalling several times during my break-in heat cycles in the back yard, I hear that!
Remember.......
The clutch is the one on the left.

Do ya' do any mountain biking?
Whenever I get on my bicycle, I tell myself "Rear brake on the right, front brake on the left" over and over the first few seconds.
I guess I should flip 'em around
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #197
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Quote:

no WAY!!!! They let you have that? Are they going to let you race that.... do they know yer a n00b?

that thing is freakin gorgeous!! how can you even get it dirty?
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #198
hobie1dog
Not a Sheeple

Oddometer: 374
Man, are they hiring where you work? I'm working at the WRONG place

two great bikes you have.

The things you own, end up owning you-Tyler Durden
hobie1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #199
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
I've only been riding dirtbikes for about a year.
I've only raced in one hare scramble ever (2 1/2 months after buying my motorcycle. I was a rolling trail obstacle! )
now that's hauntingly familiar.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #200
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta

no WAY!!!! They let you have that? Are they going to let you race that.... do they know yer a n00b?

that thing is freakin gorgeous!! how can you even get it dirty?

Hell YES I'm going to race it. Well, let me clarify that. I'm going to *ride* it in races. To call what I do *racing* may be a bit of a stretch. As far as letting me have it, only after I plunked down a big ole wad of cash. Maybe if I was David Knight they'd let me have it, but I'm just regular old Joe Nobrakes. I had to give up a lot of lattes to get that puppy. And that's a figurative latte, I don't drink that crap, but you know what I mean.

Just got through with the first hour of break-in, consisting of three 20 minute heat cycles, up and down through the gears, good bit of back pressure on the rings, then dumped the break-in oil as per the manual, cleaned all the little shavings and break-in bits out of the oil screens, changed the oil filter, and filled it back up with new oil. I'll take it easy for the next 3 hours or so, dump the oil again, and it should be good to go after that. I can already tell the engine is running smoother and a little more freely after just the first hour.

I'm starting to regain my clutch finger, didn't stall even once today. And while I have no doubt I can go back to the old fashioned way, you know, like back in the old days before rekluses and when cameras took photos only in black and white, I went ahead and ordered one - they are just too nice of a piece of kit not to take advantage of them. I'm not sure if it will be here in time for the race next weekend or not. If not, no problem, but if it is, I will try and get it installed beforehand.

Oh, regarding "two nice bikes," I really do wish I could keep both, they are both fantastic. But the '07 450 EXC will need to go to a new owner. It is funding the new 'berg, after all. I have some time, I'm not in a huge rush to sell it, but it will no longer be ridden, I'll get it cleaned up and prep'd for the new owner and keep it pristine until then. If anyone is interested in it, PM me, it is ultra nice and fully loaded - as you can see from the last video, it runs fantastic and needs nothing. And the suspension is awesome - it's got the "Terrain Tamer" forks from Bruce's Suspension which is a must ride to believe - ultra plush in the first 1/3 of travel, then progressively greater damping followed by extreme bottoming resistance. It's pretty amazing what he does. But I'll get it up in the for sale section eventually.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
'12 Beta EVO 2
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #201
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:

But I'll get it up in the for sale section eventually.
ill give you $1500 CASH.

heh

thats awesome.... Im expecting a full ride report from your first proper dirt ride on that thing.... I wanna hear what they are like from normal people!

Quote:
Old 06-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #202
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
ill give you $1500 CASH.

I won't even dignify that with a response.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
'12 Beta EVO 2
Old 06-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #203
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
I won't even dignify that with a response.

....that you dignified with a response......

fine $2k
Quote:
Old 06-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #204
joepy50
n00b

Oddometer: 3
What is it with you and Josh. You both get new bikes and I have to read about it on the web. WTF Well at least I'll get to see this one Sunday, or will I? You'll need to get that thing tagged and sumo'd
joepy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #205
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepy50
What is it with you and Josh. You both get new bikes and I have to read about it on the web. WTF Well at least I'll get to see this one Sunday, or will I? You'll need to get that thing tagged and sumo'd
Are you going to be at Denver this weekend? You racin' or spectating? Either way, I look forward to seeing you there. I got a good solid 3 hours on the new bike yesterday to complete the break-in. I'll dump the oil once more this week, clean the oil screens, change the filter, fill it up with clean fresh synthetic, and call it ready to go.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
'12 Beta EVO 2
Old 06-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #206
joepy50
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I'll be spectating, I'm bringing my boy and the neighbor's boys with me.
joepy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #207
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good deal, come find me if you make it. It would be great to see you there.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
'12 Beta EVO 2
Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #208
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Is that Husaberg ready to race?

I was scheduled to teach a motorcycle safety class this weekend but they canceled it since only 6 people were signed up. I'm trying to talk myself into heading to Denver Sunday to do a little racin.... er .... riding. What time does the Sen. C 40+ class start?

The weather is sounding like a broken record: highs in the mid-90's, 30% chance of thunderstorms... http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USNC0183
Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #209
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've got a few more minor things to do that I've been too busy to get to this week. I hope to polish it off tonight and tomorrow. But yeah, it is ready to go.

Race supposed to start at 3:15. Going to be HOT. I generally try to get there early enough to get a parking spot, watch the 12:15 race start, walk some of the track, and still have time to relax a bit and gear up.

I'm just looking to take it easy this race. First, the heat is going to be brutal, I fear. And second, I don't want to push too much on a brand new bike since I don't know its quirks yet. I'm really looking forward to it, though. It doesn't start real fast, even more slowly than my 450 EXC e-start. Dealer showed me a tip to fix that, but it's kind of scary - wide open throttle start and it will fire up quick. He said be ready to hang on tight! I don't know if I have the guts to try that just yet.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
'12 Beta EVO 2
Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #210
Blur
Screwed and stapled

That's great to hear that your 'Berg will be ready.

Yeah, the "full throttle take off" thing is a little nerve-wracking. I took Shane Watt's Dirtwise school a few months ago. His originalinstructions were "just about 1/2 throttle, accelerate from the line with the clutch". I kept trying it, my motor kept dying. He calls me over and says "Hold it wide open. This is what it'll sound like". With that, he revs the engine wide ass open and yells over the noise "THIS IS WHAT THE ENGINE WILL SOUND LIKE WHEN IT'S READY TO TAKE OFF FROM THE LINE!!!" and continues to just hold it. I nod to him that I understand but he sees my apprehension. I head to the practice start line to try it again. As I'm rolling away, his last words of encouragement were "Don't worry!! Either you'll get it right or the bike will ground loop out from under you!!"

Gee, THANKS!